Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > The only windows game worth playing, possible to port?

The only windows game worth playing, possible to port?
sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 12:54 PM

Hey
right its a well known fact (by me) that the only windows games worth playing are:
+nethack
+zzt
+and Xevil http://www.xevil.com/.
Xevil is for lack of a better word, orgasmoriffic. Nothing comes close on the windows (or linux) platform, anyway I havent got a mac yet (should be here by next week) I was wondering if it would be possible to port this wonerful wonderful game to mac seen as its just about the most fun thing going.
( Last edited by sushiism; Sep 3, 2002 at 02:21 PM. )

RobbR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2002, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
Hey
right its a well known fact (by me) that the only windows games worth playing are:
+nethack
+zzt
Xevil is for lack of a better word, orgasmoriffic. Nothing comes close on the windows (or linux) platform, anyway I havent got a mac yet (should be here by next week) I was wondering if it would be possible to port this wonerful wonderful game to mac seen as its just about the most fun thing going.

and don't forget Half Life !! I know it'll never happen, but it's just a wish sort a thing.

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2002, 06:49 AM

nah halflife is a pile of overated feck.

RobbR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2002, 07:54 AM

Over rated feck? Ehh/What? Geez, I'm always impressed by constructive critisism....

This game raised the bar for every 1st person shooter to come down the pike. Like it or not, HL remains a very important game. Give it it's due, will ya.

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2002, 04:51 PM

not really, goldeneye did everything halflife did and more before it

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2002, 07:08 PM

not really, goldeneye did everything halflife did and more before it
True and goldeneye is way more fun than HL. HL is sorta of overrated game though.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 08:20 PM

I really enjoyed Half Life on the PC years back when I bought it.

It would be nice for a port... that is if I posted this 2 years ago. Now no one cares.

At least we get Ghoast Recon, thats sweet.

RobbR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2002, 07:26 AM

Ahhh...what's the use.

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 10:12 AM

glad to see someone agrees with me
seriously goldeneye is amazingly more fun than HL, I mean even the fact theres four of ya on a sofa makes it more fun for starters without going into facts liek if your good you can shoot grenades in peoples hands and they blow up, certain weapons firing through thin walls etc etc could go on.

Anyway back to xevil, surely someone thinks its utter genius?

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2002, 11:11 AM

i would consider counterstirke a killer app. i have come so close to building myself a pc for that game alone.

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 09:24 PM

Counterstrike is nothing new either, tell ya what was a fun mod at the time though "Dirty" for quake 2

RobbR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2002, 10:01 PM

asmodeus
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2002, 05:26 AM

I've got a PC as well, and I absolutely loathe Counterstrike. I played it heaps back in the beta 3 to beta 6 days, but it got old pretty quickly, and now I can't stand the sight of any Half Life mod or Half Life itself. At the time of its release Half Life was a pretty good game though.

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2002, 01:58 PM

i realize cs is nothing new, but there is still nothing that has the same feel to it.

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2002, 03:47 PM

same rather dire feel.
come onnnn xevil, its bloody genius cant start a bomb counting down in your old body and soulswap to someone elses just in time for them to see the counter go down to zero on any other game.

cutterjohn
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2002, 09:29 PM

sorry buddy tried TFC on every platform, and the only one CLOSE to halflife TFC play was CTF on Quake2.

Day of Defeat mod is pretty fun too.

Quake3 & UT are FAR FAR to frenetic.

BannanaFiend
Sep 10, 2002, 12:35 AM

Hey
+nethack
+zzt
I have nethack on my os x box right here. A graphical version for the mac is downloadable from www.nethack.org, but if you download and compile the source (a bit of tweaking may be required to get it to link properly), then you get the glory of text mode nethack. I would have it no other way.

As for xevil, I do not have it, but given that you can get X Windows for Mac OS X, I would assume that xevil can be compiled for Mac OS X.

Despite the rare exception every once in a while, it is safe to say that if the source is available to run on unix, it can run on Mac OS X.
A history: Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz, Quickilver 1.2MP, iBook 600 DVD, Beige G3 266, Performa 638CD, Quadra 610 w/CD

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2002, 07:17 PM

thanks BannanaFiend
grr now if only my powerbook would get here (was due on monday(the 9th) due now its due next monday GRRR pretty annoying that it takes 3 days to get here from london, and i wont be supprised if they tell me it wont be here till next friday seen as it changes everytime i ring the damn apple store :*( )

cutterjohn think you need to try playing some other games, go buy an old amiga and play some of thats classics they beat anything these days
( Last edited by sushiism; Sep 11, 2002 at 07:22 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules