Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Weird icon behavior in finder :/

Weird icon behavior in finder :/
kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2003, 05:05 PM

I have created a custom icon in iconographer. basically i just imported it from a .png image, and saved the icon.

if I make my home directory use the icon
Macintosh HD->Users->kelesh
it shows up as the folders icon. but if I then drag my home directory into the sidebar to add it as a sidebar folder, the icon it gets in the sidebar is the default folder application.

if i create a random folder in say my pictures folder and give it the SAME icon, and then drag that folder into the sidebar, the icon SHOWS UP for that folder.

why it would show up for a random folder and not for my home folder is beyond me. any idea?

another weird thing, is that i have a lower quality icon that I made, and if i give that to my home directory it shows up in the sidebar!? sometimes when i give this icon to my home directory and then drag it into the sidebar it does not show it... kinda sketchy behavior in that its inconsistent with showing the icon. so i am totally confused as to what the sidebar is doing.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2003, 09:17 PM

My only guess is the Home folder is embedded in the OS. You think it would listen to the home folder icon you pasted on - consider using CandyBar instead.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by mrbiiggy2:
consider using CandyBar instead.
That's what I was thinking.
click one

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2003, 02:43 AM

Yes, because the home folder uses the icon it's been given by the OS. Using Candy Bar will change it's icon where OS X looks, not just as it's icon it displays. I think the same thing happened with the toolbar in Jaguar.
|wishing is for suckers|

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2003, 04:50 AM

if youre too cheap for candybar (i know i am.) you can go to /system/library/services/systemicons.bundle/contents/resources/homefoldericon.icns.

you might have to find the freeware app icon2icns. after that you should be good to go!

good luck with this. remember to repair permissions once youre done.

peace
Dan.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2003, 06:20 AM

i used candybar and it worked... still weird how it didn't work before, but "oh well"

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by kelesh:
i used candybar and it worked... still weird how it didn't work before, but "oh well"
I'm sure not to cheap for candybar... preference trashing. I do that all the time.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
I'm sure not to cheap for candybar... preference trashing. I do that all the time.
lol same, but I think I'd like to pay for it sooner or later.
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules