Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook rises from the grave

TiBook rises from the grave
sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2006, 06:45 AM

About 4 months ago I put my TiBook to sleep and unplugged it as I normally do every night, but in the morning it was off not asleep.
Later that day after making the same mistake I realised the battery was dead.

Now I've been using it for the past 4 months always plugged into the mains because I kept putting off buying a new battery and decided I may as well get an iMac instead (TiBook is about 4 years old now and 800mz but still feels pretty damn smooth for its age certainly beats my friends recent ppc mac mini) but anyway on thursday I plug it in and turn it on to be greeted with a clock has reset itself message so I open system preferences and it just freezes. Reboot try again, whenever I try to do anything it freezes.

So I restart in the darwin prompt and change the time using the date command then do a shutdown -r now. Luckily it worked fine till the next reboot and I had to repeat the process.
I noticed that the battery was now at 0%, before it read about 4% but never charged. I take it out and stick it back in and to my amazement yesterday it charged again , the TiBook spent the night asleep running off battery and seems fine.

I love the TiBook, its looks, its keyboard (much nicer than the macbook pros slippery mess), its gorgeous hinge design, and the fact it just doesn't want to die.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2006, 06:52 AM

Obviously, your TiBook was trying to send you a message. You have been lusting after newer equipment and you have hurt your TiBook's feelings.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 10:09 AM

There is a small battery inside the Ti that retains the PRAM settings when the main battery is taken out. With your main battery being dead, I suspect that the internal battery is now dead as well, so it won't retain any startup info, etc.

Time for a Newertech battery?

NewerTech PowerBook G4 Titanium Battery Replacements at OtherWorldComputing.com

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 10:12 AM

Here's the pbfixit.com guide for the PRAM battery

PowerBook G4 Ti DVI Disassembly: Installing PRAM Battery - PowerBook Parts

'course, you've only got my conjecture that that's what's wrong...no guarantee...

Forum Links
Forum Rules