Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Proxy Plus PC mac internet sharing

Proxy Plus PC mac internet sharing
sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 10:10 AM

Hey
Right i want to share my pcs internet connection with my tibook because theres no mac drivers for my stupid adsl modem, ok it would have been fine but windows 2000 crashes when i use its internet sharing function, thus im trying to use a proxy server. In this case its Proxy+ (http://www.proxyplus.cz/) because its free and i heard of someone in an macosxhints thread just mention he uses it for his macs and pcs so it must work somehow. Does anyone have an experience with this proxy or any proxys that could give me a walkthrough setting it up?
Thanks a ton in advance it really is painful using a p2 300 with 64 meg of ram for daily net stuff.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2003, 10:34 AM

What have you done to see what's wrong with the PC? ICS should not be a problem with Win2K, so I suspect that there's a problem with your OS installation. Have you tried to do a repair reinstall of Windows? That could fix things for you, and it's a lot simpler than running even more PC software that has to be messed with. Once running, ICS is "set and forget."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 10:49 AM

its most likely a problem with the modem drivers, its not the os installatin because the damn things been reformatted and reinstalled a few weeks bakc and straight away i tried ICS and it didnt work so sod it im moving on to other posibilities, so can we forget ICS actually exists for a bit

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2003, 11:18 AM

You have everything on the PC covered, then. I assume you've removed and reinstalled the modem driver, too. I have to wonder what's going on in the minds of ISPs that only stock USB modems-control, price, or what? Anyway, have you asked your ISP about an ethernet modem, because your USB ports don't work right (or whatever else you want to tell them)? You may be able to talk them into giving you one, which would solve your problem-all you'd need to do would be to hook your Mac to it!

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 12:17 PM

yeah ive tried reinstalling the drivers and stuff. Well this modem didnt come from the isp but they do also only give you usb modems for free, i would have got an ethernet one at the time but this pc didnt have an ethernet card back then(also didnt have my mac) and i didnt feel like opening it up and going into the hassle of installing one at that point. Anyway this pc will prolly be replaced in afew months but after over a month of using it for IM and internet its driving me mad its so slow and i cant use my regular im accounts and stuff, so I'd really prefer figuring out this proxy server rather than spending another �79 or so on a decent ethernet modem

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2003, 04:02 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the proxy program you're asking about. I'm looking for something that will work for you though... Keep at it, and I'll be back!

I'm back! Take a look at these:
WinProxy and WinGate. Both offer sharing on Win2K platforms, and WinProxy offers a free trial. I haven't found out how long the trial period is, but at least it'll get you going.
( Last edited by ghporter; Jun 12, 2003 at 04:09 PM. )

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2003, 11:11 AM

Thanks a ton winproxy works great, you just install it and tell it your modem dialup and its sorted, and the mac finds it fine with DCHP thinger

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2003, 05:13 PM

Very cool. Glad I could help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules