Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official Mac Notebook Picture Thread

Official Mac Notebook Picture Thread (Page 59)
tricha6
Sep 7, 2006, 12:09 AM

Finally:

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by tricha6
Finally:

Hmm cool setup... maybe I should lay out my MacBook, bag and peripherals on my desk and take a picture... being that my old computer died I don't have much of a 'setup' other than my MacBook and its accessories.
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2006, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by houstonmacbro
finally someone who's had both (powerbook and blackbook). given that, would you recommend someone go with a new blackbook or a refurbished mbp? yes, $$ IS an issue.
There is not a huge difference in screen size between the 15 and 13" screens and both will drive external displays so it comes down to graphics. If you want to play recent 3D games (or have another task that requires a dedicated GPU) then I would opt for the MBP, otherwise the MacBook is a fantastic laptop.
mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

ael719
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2006, 03:25 AM

finally someone who's had both (powerbook and blackbook). given that, would you recommend someone go with a new blackbook or a refurbished mbp? yes, $$ IS an issue.
I bought a BlackBook as my first Mac ever and I am pleased, but I always have the lingering feeling I could be happier with a MBP. I don't play games that much so I figured there's no need for the graphics card. I also figured that the size would be perfect as the BlackBook was much smaller.

Now I wish I had a MBP 15' or maybe even 17' because Parallels announced that they are developing 3D support. I probably never play games on XP through Bootcamp, but playing through Parallels would be perfect. Also, since class has started I have noticed that the smaller size really has no benefits for me. My Blackbook is my primary computer and every now and then the screen feels almost too small.

I am 100% satisfied with my MacBook purchase. It has met my expectations and more, but after only 2 months I feel like I'm ready to upgrade. My MacBook isn't even paid off yet and I have already thought about selling it and buying an MBP. I won't do that because its a waste of money, but am now looking at 24' iMacs as a desktop

Money was also an issue in my MacBook purchase because the MBP's are expensive. I've always had a desktop and the MacBook as my first laptop was a good starter laptop. I think the Blackbook works best as a complement to a desktop/iMac, but with a MBP you could get rid of the desktop. I feel it would be a waste of money to own both a MBP and iMac because they have almost identical features minus screen size, so the MacBook is better suited for this situation.

If you're a student and the MacBook will be your main computer, definitely give more consideration to the MBP. I wish I bought the MBP because it is the better Apple laptop out there. Now I want an iMac alongside my Blackbook when I could have just bought a MBP and never have had feelings of what if...
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2006, 03:44 AM

There are quite a few people on this board that have a MB and a MBP (see my sig for example).

Dillon-K is absolutely right. Basically it comes down to
• do you need the extra pixels?
• do you need good 3D accelerated graphics (gaming, professional animation, etc.)?
• do you need an ExpressCard slot?

If you answer no to all of those, the MB is perfect. If not, you might consider getting a MBP. In the end, especially if you're on a budget, the MB is a great deal. You pay a considerable amount for the MBP's advantages so make sure what you really need first.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2006, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by NightEyes
There is not a huge difference in screen size between the 15 and 13" screens and both will drive external displays so it comes down to graphics. If you want to play recent 3D games (or have another task that requires a dedicated GPU) then I would opt for the MBP, otherwise the MacBook is a fantastic laptop.
the kinds of things i do mainly are:
  • very light iPhoto or nikon view picture editing
  • some podcasting
  • some web work (dreamweaver)
  • playing around with ichatav, itunes, and general web stuff in firefox or camino ... oh, and some banking on quicken

so yeah, i guess i am not a power user (used to be but not much any more).

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2006, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by ael719
I bought a BlackBook as my first Mac ever and I am pleased, but I always have the lingering feeling I could be happier with a MBP. I don't play games that much so I figured there's no need for the graphics card. I also figured that the size would be perfect as the BlackBook was much smaller.

Now I wish I had a MBP 15' or maybe even 17' because Parallels announced that they are developing 3D support. I probably never play games on XP through Bootcamp, but playing through Parallels would be perfect. Also, since class has started I have noticed that the smaller size really has no benefits for me. My Blackbook is my primary computer and every now and then the screen feels almost too small.

I am 100% satisfied with my MacBook purchase. It has met my expectations and more, but after only 2 months I feel like I'm ready to upgrade. My MacBook isn't even paid off yet and I have already thought about selling it and buying an MBP. I won't do that because its a waste of money, but am now looking at 24' iMacs as a desktop

Money was also an issue in my MacBook purchase because the MBP's are expensive. I've always had a desktop and the MacBook as my first laptop was a good starter laptop. I think the Blackbook works best as a complement to a desktop/iMac, but with a MBP you could get rid of the desktop. I feel it would be a waste of money to own both a MBP and iMac because they have almost identical features minus screen size, so the MacBook is better suited for this situation.

If you're a student and the MacBook will be your main computer, definitely give more consideration to the MBP. I wish I bought the MBP because it is the better Apple laptop out there. Now I want an iMac alongside my Blackbook when I could have just bought a MBP and never have had feelings of what if...
yeah, see that's my thing too ... i have really gotten used to my powerbook with 15" screen, but it comes down to cost. i have looked at refurbed 15" mbps on the apple site and with apple care, they come out to about the same as the top end new black macbook w/ applecare.

guess i'll make a decision soon. i'm in no real RUSH to get a new 'book, but i guess i'm starting to get book-envy with everyone talking about their wonderful new machines. also, i have a 17" mbp at work and it is a sweet machine.

also, my powerbook 15" is my machine machine and i do not have an external monitor so screen size is important, but honestly the 17" is too big for me to tote around (plus costs as i've mentioned).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2006, 02:46 AM

Finally:
Nice way to set up your MacBook. Is that a custom 'MacBook stand' or what are you using there?

tricha6
Sep 8, 2006, 11:00 AM

Its not custom; I am no machinist, thats for sure. Its a great stand if you use your computer in clamshell mode as I do. It allows heat to dissipate. It takes up very little desk space, and you can position like I have, or perpendicular to yourself, with ports in the back and the drive in the front. Both the MacBook and the 12 in PB that I used in it before it were especially well suited because they had ports on only one side and the drive slot on the other (unlike the 15/17 MBP & PB).

I did buy it at the Apple store, sadly it was at the Apple Store in Ginza, Japan. It was around 20 USD, and made by a Japanese company. The Apple Store in Ginza used these for a lot of their display Powerbooks to show off the clamshell mode. However, I got it 3 years ago so I don't know if that is still the case.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2006, 01:42 PM

*pictures himself putting his MacBook in a vertical file holder* haha!!
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

tintin220
Sep 9, 2006, 10:45 AM

@David Aaemes. Absolutely lovely. What desk are you using? I like...

trackezoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2006, 08:24 PM

just moved into my new dorm room couple of weeks ago. i'm forced to use the desk in these pictures. i now hate my life because of it. but i love my powerbook enough to still put these up.

12" 1.5 PB - MS Wireless Notebook Mouse - HP 5440 - MBox

Seeing as i'm a poor starving college student, I can't afford an ACD or anything of the sort, but I do have an iCurve on the way and i'll be picking up an apple wireless keyboard/mighty mouse as soon as I get the funds...

Just wondering, anybody have any suggestions for the area I have? I'm very very open to any and all advice for improving my "setup". And on monitors. Or anything else for that matter...hell, interior decorating anybody?
( Last edited by trackezoid; Sep 9, 2006 at 08:32 PM. )

raduga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2006, 10:47 PM

So I've been lurking on this thread for a couple years (!) now. I'm in the market for a wireless keyboard, and I can't help but notice that about 75% of all the rigs on this board have those white wireless Apple keyboards. Are they really so great? What's good about them? Are the keys very quiet? As soon as I get a new board I can finally post MY setup

trevorM
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by raduga
So I've been lurking on this thread for a couple years (!) now. I'm in the market for a wireless keyboard, and I can't help but notice that about 75% of all the rigs on this board have those white wireless Apple keyboards. Are they really so great? What's good about them? Are the keys very quiet? As soon as I get a new board I can finally post MY setup
First and foremost I suspect most of us have purchased Apple BT keyboards because they are apple specific and the fact they intergrate so will with Apples...

Secondly, for me anyhow, I find Apple Keyboards to be spot on perfect. Been using them for years and years that i just dont want to use anything else.

Microsoft keyboads and some of the logitech ones are just too big and clunky and I have no need for all those knobs and buttons that are included!!

If you want a wireless mouse too - The Wireless mighty mouse is so good. I just got one a few weeks ago and I cant believe I have used and coped with anything but that mouse. Its functionally so handy!
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

originalplaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2006, 01:26 PM

Keyboard is great but takes a few days to get use to the keys on the right side being slightly different then most keyboards (small enter key and slightly strange size to the backslash get me most times)

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM is they show dirt and grime and whatever else in them EASY.
They are hard to clean and have a see thru bottom so be careful eating around them. They are NOT easy to take apart I have heard.

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2006, 01:46 PM

Its not custom; I am no machinist, thats for sure. Its a great stand if you use your computer in clamshell mode as I do. It allows heat to dissipate. It takes up very little desk space, and you can position like I have, or perpendicular to yourself, with ports in the back and the drive in the front. Both the MacBook and the 12 in PB that I used in it before it were especially well suited because they had ports on only one side and the drive slot on the other (unlike the 15/17 MBP & PB).

I did buy it at the Apple store, sadly it was at the Apple Store in Ginza, Japan. It was around 20 USD, and made by a Japanese company. The Apple Store in Ginza used these for a lot of their display Powerbooks to show off the clamshell mode. However, I got it 3 years ago so I don't know if that is still the case.
Do you have the company name? Is it printed on the stand? I would love to order a few online if I could find them.

Ghigster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan
Hey does anyone know where i can stickers like that Ouhei has? Doesnt have to be custom just amine themed vinyl stickers.

TY
I'm sure you can find a vinyl shop that will make one for you. It's not that hard if you just want a single color. Just get the image that you want, it is super easy if it is negative form like Ouhei's, then email to them and they should be able to cut it out. Something like Ouhei's should only take a few minutes of thier time.

BTW i'm jealous of all of you

trevorM
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by originalplaid
THE BIGGEST PROBLEM is they show dirt and grime and whatever else in them EASY. They are hard to clean and have a see thru bottom so be careful eating around them. They are NOT easy to take apart I have heard.
Ph yeah good point. Dirt sucks. White shows dirt too! One of my computers is in an industrial environment and the keys show ever bit of dirt even after trying to clean 'em.
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 10:26 PM

No, I don't live in Australia, but I did get a mouse pad while I was there.

trackezoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2006, 10:36 PM

slpdLoad yours is by far one of my favorites.

the wall mounted screen combined with the stand mounted pb...very very nicely done.

and where did you get your desk/how does it work? i'd love something like that. i've been considering having a piece of glass cut perfectly to the size of my desk here so i can put images and stuff under it and thus eliminate the hideous brown "wood" color that can be seen in my pictures above...

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc

Do you use all three powerbooks?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

shunsuke
Sep 11, 2006, 05:25 AM

Simple.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by trackezoid
slpdLoad yours is by far one of my favorites.

the wall mounted screen combined with the stand mounted pb...very very nicely done.

and where did you get your desk/how does it work? i'd love something like that. i've been considering having a piece of glass cut perfectly to the size of my desk here so i can put images and stuff under it and thus eliminate the hideous brown "wood" color that can be seen in my pictures above...
Thanks, man!

I got the desk from Staples probably six years ago. I really like it. It's an L-shaped desk with all tempered glass for the surfaces. For the pictures I ended up just adhering them to the glass with a bit of rubber cement so they wouldn't move, and then went to the local hardware store where they cut me a thin piece of glass to go over that one side. The gloss it provides over the pictures is very nice.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Sep 11, 2006, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by shunsuke
Simple.

I think I need that desktop picture...

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

tricha6
Sep 11, 2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by gnomexp
Do you have the company name? Is it printed on the stand? I would love to order a few online if I could find them.
Unfortunately there is nothing printed on the stand.

shunsuke
Sep 11, 2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami
I think I need that desktop picture...
Sorry for the late reply as I had to search for the url, so here you go.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/37029927/

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 10:52 AM

I thought I'd post my offering. This was taken in October 2005, when I lived in London. I've since moved to Hong Kong, and so my current set up is a little different now.

It's not so much a set up pic, but more of a posed shot!

24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 10:42 PM

Crouching Donkey, what type of mouse or device is that to the right of the keyboard in front of the Powerbook?
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by ndptal85
Crouching Donkey, what type of mouse or device is that to the right of the keyboard in front of the Powerbook?
Hi ndptal, it's a Logitech Cordless Freedom Keyboard & Optical Mouse. I got it several years ago, when Logitech first started out on wireless keyboards and mice. It's probably an antique now! Hehe!

I'm liking the look of the Logitech Revolution mice. Does anyone have one?
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

davidflas
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 10:05 AM

( Last edited by davidflas; Sep 16, 2006 at 10:37 PM. )
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by shunsuke
Simple.

What mousepad is that?
Apple user since 1987

shunsuke
Sep 16, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by STAT
What mousepad is that?
razer pro pad

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2006, 12:51 PM

Your link is broken. I got the link to your pic in my thread reply notification, it no workies.

thursdaythrice
Sep 16, 2006, 04:07 PM

Not really my set up but it is a picture of my macbook.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2006, 04:09 PM

You've done those links wrong, you need to do {{[IMG] URL [/IMG]}} (WITH the square brackets, WITHOUT the curly ones)

thursdaythrice
Sep 16, 2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaythrice
Not really my set up but it is a picture of my macbook.

the pictures arent coming up for me, how about you guys

thursdaythrice
Sep 16, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
You've done those links wrong, you need to do {{[IMG] URL [/IMG]}} (WITH the square brackets, WITHOUT the curly ones)

ahhhh i see

thursdaythrice
Sep 16, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaythrice
the pictures arent coming up for me, how about you guys

{{ }}

{{ }}

{{ }}

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2006, 04:15 PM

OOH shiny house

thursdaythrice
Sep 16, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
OOH shiny house

haha

joel_v
Sep 16, 2006, 10:10 PM

nice apple ya got there

tjash1991
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 08:26 PM

Decided to bring this thread back to life, I finally got my new desk.

Part of my desk:

All of my desk:

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 10:13 AM

Here's mine! 12" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz with an Apple 20" Cinema Display and a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2006, 03:35 PM

Awesome Desk!!!
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 03:40 PM

Thanks. It's a little light on storage space, but I like the glass & metal look. The Apple Cinema Display is new (I bought it Saturday). I almost bought a Sceptre 20.1" wide-screen display for $240, but I just couldn't bear the thought of my desk space being marred by anything less than an aluminum display.

Next on my list is to upgrade to either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro, and get an iPod. But all in due time.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

clockworkwar
Oct 1, 2006, 06:39 AM

I am going to replace my current desktop, with a Apple Macbook/or Dell Inspiron next year. From this thread i think the Apples winning

mimory
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2006, 10:28 PM

Here's from the times when PowerBooks had curves
During July of 2002 I had to move all of my computer stuff closer to the AC unit in the bedroom.

it's a 400MHz "Pismo" G3

breakbeat46
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2006, 07:20 AM

Refurb Black Macbook 2Gig Ram, Bootcamp, 20" Dell 2007FPW, Apple Wireless Keyboard + Wireless Mighty Mouse, G-Tech G-RAID 360GB FW800/400, iCurve, Logitech Z-340, Desk from Ofice Depot.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2006, 07:31 AM

looks very clean and functional. i wish i could get my desk to look half as organized.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 02:18 PM

what a hot looking setup ; )

seriously though...i envy people with older computers as their main systems (ie pismos, clamshells, powermac g3/g4, original imacs). i hope one day i could hold on to my systems when i upgrade to a newer computer so i could use my macbook pro 8 years down the line with os 11 or whatever the hell is out then, that'd be fun.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules