Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What do you hate about your cellphone

What do you hate about your cellphone
ambush
Banned
Sep 24, 2006, 01:29 PM

What I hate about my Nokia 6265i is the non-snappiness of the UI. I press the MENU button and it takes almost a second to react.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2006, 01:37 PM

What I hate about my Motorola i836 phone is that it's a Nextel. And it can't sync with my computer. And it uses the Nextel network. And that I keep accidentally pressing the side buttons and calling back people I've just talked to when I put it in my pocket. And that it's a Nextel. And its non-customizability. And that it can't roam, so if I'm in one of the many, many places where there's no Nextel coverage, I can't use it *at all.*

What I love about it, though, is that it costs me $0.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 24, 2006, 02:38 PM

The color accuracy of the included camera. The small size of the pictures don't bother me, simply that the pictures look blah.

But for making calls and receiving calls, I could not be more satisfied.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Sep 24, 2006, 02:49 PM

My stupid provider, Telus, blocks me from choosing ringtons other than the one I can buy on their sites. **** them.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 02:56 PM

I like my phone, just don't like that Verizon has disabled a few of the features.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2006, 03:57 PM

What is the maximum post lengh? I have a V3. Go figure…

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 03:59 PM

I like my phone, but the UI is too slow.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
I like my phone, just don't like that Verizon has disabled a few of the features.
Tripleplus on my RAZR.
Although I also hate that addressing a text message is like a six-step process (Add, Contact, type name, Select, Done), whereas on my Treo I'd just open the messaging app and go to a recent conversation.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 05:51 PM

My Nokia 6233... its touted as a music phone, yet it has no headphone jack and the included headphones are just awful
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 05:57 PM

It's time for iPhone.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Scifience
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 05:59 PM

I don't like that many of the cool features of my phone (GPS navigation, pay for train tickets with the phone, etc.) don't work outside of Japan. That, though, is more a fault of the cell phone companies in other countries than the phone itself.

The only thing I really have against the phone is that the volume resets to a way-too-quiet level after each phone call.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Sep 24, 2006, 06:23 PM

I think the missed call icon that shows up on the razr is worthless. Also, the phone will vibrate every 2 minutes or so if I have a missed call or text message.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 06:41 PM

Hmm, nothing.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 06:49 PM

Treo 650 weighs too much, I would prefer to ditch the camera included and shave some of the thickness down. Perhaps once I get the iPhone I will have some fun hacking my old Treo into something slimmer

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 08:32 PM

my cingular 551 vibrate feature isnt stronge enogph. cannae feel it in my pocket when a ring comes through

Alex

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2006, 09:14 PM

I hate how it takes my phonebook like 5 minutes to initialize after a reboot. I also hate the non anti-aliased text.

I have a 2 year old samsung somethingorother.
Actually it may be 3 now. I'm free from the plan!!!!!!!! New phone time, come on iphone!!

macfantn
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 09:19 PM

I love my S710 just wish it was thinner and smaller and faster UI. I assume the W810 fixes these issues. I may get that soon.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 09:46 PM

I hate my VeriZon hosted (or is that hosed) Nokia. Drops calls to often in a Major metro area (DC).

I get a free replacement/upgrade from Verizonheimers too!

James L
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 10:07 PM

I have a razr,

I love almost everything about it. Clarity is great, BT transfers and iCal/Address Book syncing are flawless with my Mac, camera is nice (for a phone)...

If I hate anything, it is the speed of the text messaging when you are typing a message. There is an option where it will auto complete the word you are typing, and I can actually type the entire word faster than typing a few letters, waiting for it to figure the word out, etc. Pointless, really.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2006, 12:06 AM

Nothing. it's perfect, and I'm picky.

SE w800i

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by starman

SE w800i
Well, mine's 10 better (w810i).

I don't hate anyhting, but I wish it had a seperate headphone jack.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by starman

SE w800i
Does it have better reception than most of the Sony Ericssons, which usually seem to be pretty poor in that aspect?

Last year I had a roommate with a Sony Ericsson phone who pretty much had to go up to the window to talk on his cell phone, whereas my RAZR worked more or less anywhere in the apartment, even though we were both on the same provider (Cingular).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2006, 01:48 AM

Unbranded Blackberry 8700g. I don't think I have any complaints about it at all. In fact, it's the most trouble-free phone I've ever used.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2006, 01:51 AM

For hilarity:

I kid, I kid. I hate nothing about my W810i. Reception is as good, if not better than, the RAZR V3i it replaced.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2006, 02:10 AM

My Nokia 6256i is a bit bulky, but the UI is fast (tons faster than my old Kyocera slider) and it doesn't use the crappy verizon UI, and the bluetooth and such are unlocked, unlike almost all of the other verizon phones. But I don't like that I can't listen to a steady stream of mp3s, I have to select them one by one.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2006, 02:39 AM

I hate the fact that my Motorola V3X is not an Sony Ericsson. I wish i'd gotten one of those instead.

The reception on my old K700i sucked! The reception on my V3X is excellent though.

barang
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 09:13 AM

my phone is small and fast and free (one of the ones that comes free with a verizon family plan), but it doesn't have a camera or the ability to recieve pix messages. I'm in the dark ages. I rely on my iPod for everything else....
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 01:15 PM

What I hate about my RAZR V3c (Alltel) is that I can't sync the address book with iCal. Other than that, I have no complaints.

No complaints with my Treo 650, either (no camera).

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 01:26 PM

That it is costly, from Telus, cost a fortune to make long distance.

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
my cingular 551 vibrate feature isnt stronge enogph. cannae feel it in my pocket when a ring comes through

Alex
Same thing here. Also, my V551 has horrible battery life (it only got half the advertised life right out of the box...the power management scheme sucks) and it's not very durable. (and I'm pretty gentle with my phones) On top of that, I have to clean the speaker contacts on occasion, or else the speaker stops working. Where's the iPhone already?! I might just settle for a V3i.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2006, 02:12 PM

I hate the .mobi TLD.

First of all, you could just use mobi.url.com. I mean, that's how URLs work.

Secondly, if they're making a TLD for a mobile phone so it's "easier" to find a website, then why use a 4-letter extension?

Why are all the morons in the decision-making offices?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

CIA
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 02:53 PM

mistake
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

CIA
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
Originally Posted by Mithras
Tripleplus on my RAZR.
Although I also hate that addressing a text message is like a six-step process (Add, Contact, type name, Select, Done), whereas on my Treo I'd just open the messaging app and go to a recent conversation.
Agree to both those comments. My Moto V710 sucks, and it's made worse by the fact all the cool features plastered on the outside of the box it came in don't work thanks to Verizon's crazy lockouts.
I rememer calling Verizon right after I got it, and asking why I can't use bluetooth to send stuff back and forth from my computer to my phone. They replied that it's not possible with the V710. I said "What to you mean? I have the box here you shipped me the phone in, it says ON THE BOX I can." At which point I learned the dark secret of Verizon and the phones they sell.

Seriously, if you aren't gonna support features, at least ship the damn phones in boxes that don't advertize them.
They pay all the money for Moto to put special firmware on the phones (which, after a lot of research, IS hackable), they could atleast pay for different boxes. Lord knows they sell enough of em.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2006, 03:36 PM

My Kyocera Energi. I love it so. It's just a phone. No syncing, no music playing, no texting (well, I didn't purchase any texting with my plan), nothing other than a nice, compact, portable phone.

It does what I need it to do. Is there anything more one can ask?

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 03:42 PM

I hate phones with a protuding antenna.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by CIA
Agree to both those comments. My Moto V710 sucks, and it's made worse by the fact all the cool features plastered on the outside of the box it came in don't work thanks to Verizon's crazy lockouts.
I rememer calling Verizon right after I got it, and asking why I can't use bluetooth to send stuff back and forth from my computer to my phone. They replied that it's not possible with the V710. I said "What to you mean? I have the box here you shipped me the phone in, it says ON THE BOX I can." At which point I learned the dark secret of Verizon and the phones they sell.
You should check out the 6256i...it somehow slipped through Verizon's cracks...bluetooth is fully unlocked, I can sync stuff and transfer music, picutres, and videos flawlessly.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2006, 05:16 PM

I just hate it, period.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Sep 26, 2006, 05:17 PM

I have an LG POS.
The earphone jack is noisy. I suppose the terminals are bad now.
But it does pick up towers below 20,000'. (my old one wouldn't work above 2000')
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2006, 05:40 PM

I just ordered an LG phone.

I hate my Nokia 6102i POS.

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 06:01 PM

I had the 6101, and thought it wasn't too bad for what it was - basic flip phone. What's so bad about the 6102i?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2006, 06:20 PM

The reception on it is terrible.

I hate it.

I just got off the telephone with Cingular today about how much I hate and despise that phone. They suggested an LG phone instead - they said that they are better than the Nokias for the most part as far as reception goes.

Probably means I'll get brain cancer from it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2006, 07:30 PM

LG better at reception than Nokia?

That's the opposite of what I've always heard...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 07:33 PM

Indeed. I wasn't in love with my Nokia, but the reception and the battery life were terrific.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2006, 07:45 PM

I love the fact that I'm not wasting $30 a month on one

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 06:26 PM

- No ringer profiles... It's a Samsung.

- No Mac Sync

Bring on the iPhone... And lets hope it's called something else. Even iChat Mobile would be (marginally) better.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2006, 06:37 PM

In addition, I'd also love it if Moto would update their phonebook app once in a while. The UI is awful compared to my old SE.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2006, 07:16 PM

It's not an iPhone

Nokia 6200

Actually, I like it a lot.
It doesn't do calendar syncing well though, and the built in Calendar kinda sucks. (and some installers won't run when they're just sent over BT from my mac.)

I find it difficult to find a good, solid, completely Mac Compatible Phone OS. Symbian seems pretty good, Palm is on it's way out, and I don't want to use Windows Mobile or Blackberry because I don't think I should have to buy extra software to make the dang thing work!
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
It's not an iPhone

Nokia 6200

Actually, I like it a lot.
It doesn't do calendar syncing well though, and the built in Calendar kinda sucks. (and some installers won't run when they're just sent over BT from my mac.)

I find it difficult to find a good, solid, completely Mac Compatible Phone OS. Symbian seems pretty good, Palm is on it's way out, and I don't want to use Windows Mobile or Blackberry because I don't think I should have to buy extra software to make the dang thing work!
The blackberry software from pocketmac is free.

It works. I did have to use windows to update the firmware on the blackberry, but oh well- it does work with the Mac nicely.

Still, I'm not sure the blackberry is for me. SureType and the thumbwheel aren't that great.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2006, 09:06 PM

K750i -> The joystick. It's a minor annoyance, but otherwise it's perfect (flashed to W800i firmware for walkman software).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules