Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > regia

regia
quandarry
Aug 12, 2003, 11:17 PM

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 11:21 PM

i have mixed feeling about your progress bar.

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 11:21 PM

cool theme, the only thing I'd like to see would be getting the shadow arround the push-button and the up-down-arrows the same as the other elements. those two seem somewhat out of place.

--will

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 11:36 PM

Shadows need consistency and the progress bars need work to fit in with the theme but other than that... WOW, COOL.

Mac Guru

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2003, 12:04 AM

Hey the widgets absolutely rock! The actually look keystoned (tapered towards bottom) because of your bevel gradient. I'd love to see a theme built around/derived from those... using the exact same widget bevels around the titlebar (I'd lose the stripes) and the same widget bevels and insets on any element that'll take them (pushbuttons, scroll elements, tabs, even pane borders). I agree with the other comments about the progress bar... it needs work. Those bevels are extremely interesting tho'... I'd derive everything else from them. My 2�

havyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2003, 12:41 AM

man this theme is awesome! only a few things i would change...one being the size of the apple. seems too big to me (hardly fits in the menubar?), and the other to have some sort of mouseover on the min/max/close glyphs.

other than that, excellent work on this fairly original theme. also, it makes safari and some other apps look even better.
( Last edited by havyn; Aug 13, 2003 at 12:47 AM. )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 01:09 AM

Wow not bad, it's got a cool "pushed-in look". I'm also unsure of the progress bar, but love the widgets.
click one

Bombia
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2003, 09:20 AM

Very Nice!

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2003, 12:04 PM

I think it's great! Nice one. The only thing I don't like is the progress bar. I'd like to see that changed.

Apart from that it's brilliant.

Is it me or does this theme seem to be 'faster' than others like panther theme? OSX seems a little snappier. Am I going mad?

phillryu
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 12:32 PM

I think the problem with the progress bar is that it looks flat and 2D on the 3d and sunken background. Maybe if you made them a bit rounded?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

catsank
Aug 13, 2003, 01:04 PM

On the contrary, I like the progress bar - sort of like watching an optical illusion while your waiting for a process to finish. Reminds me of a mix between Daisuke Yamashita's FT-500 theme and good old classic platinum - quirky yet gorgeous :)

phillryu
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 02:35 PM

True, I'd have to see it in motion to give real critique. I'm using my family's computer, so I'm not allowed to screw around with themes on it. I'll check it out later, it coudl look much better in motion.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2003, 04:49 PM

make the progress bar solid like it should be, the divided look is too much like windows' useless nonsensical progress bars, and make the blue a bit less in your face and it will be very nice

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2003, 07:42 PM

What the preview at the top of this thread doesn't show it the beauty that is the 'Metal' apps (Safari, etc) in this theme.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2003, 08:34 PM

I don't really like the progress bar either, but all in all I think you have some very nice work here. Cool Theme!
|wishing is for suckers|

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2003, 10:29 PM

bbxstudio said

Hey the widgets absolutely rock! The actually look keystoned (tapered towards bottom)
because of your bevel gradient. I'd love to see a theme built around/derived from those...
i agree 100% with what you said. The widgets look like they are keystoning to me too. Very cool
and i also feel a new theme should be made from scratch based on that effect and those widgets.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 11:57 PM

other than the progress bars, i like it a lot.
A fullscreen snapshot would be nice to see it better.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 02:06 AM

quandarry:
Just wanted to let you know that the regia theme is cool! I really like the blue scroll bars. At first I thought, no this theme won't look good. But I took a chance and installed it anyway. Man was I surprised. Thanks for making it.

quandarry  (op)
Aug 14, 2003, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
quandarry:
Just wanted to let you know that the regia theme is cool! I really like the blue scroll bars. At first I thought, no this theme won't look good. But I took a chance and installed it anyway. Man was I surprised. Thanks for making it.
i'd like to take credit iceman but it was made by richard bensam [which is not me]...he made cricket too which not too many peeps liked...hey it was his first theme...this is much better tho...

i luv it too...it's simple and not in your face.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 02:48 AM

quandarry:
Thanks for letting me know. That's right it was in the ReadMe. Ok then, thank you richard bensam for making regia.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Aug 14, 2003, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:
i'd like to take credit iceman but it was made by richard bensam [which is not me]...he made cricket too which not too many peeps liked...hey it was his first theme...this is much better tho...

i luv it too...it's simple and not in your face.
Isn't it you that he is quoting at the top of the page? Seems like your style of of writing.
Nice to see that he was not too struck down by such comments, because the new theme is quite nice, especially the titlebar buttons.

FB Eye
Senior User
Aug 14, 2003, 08:41 AM

Like someone said earlier, the brushed apps look awesome!!! I too have mixed feelings about the progress bar, but other than that the whole theme rocks... and for those of you who find the blue too "in-your-face", switch to the Graphite appearance in the General Prefs...

( Last edited by FB Eye; Aug 14, 2003 at 09:02 AM. )

quandarry  (op)
Aug 14, 2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Isn't it you that he is quoting at the top of the page? Seems like your style of of writing.
Nice to see that he was not too struck down by such comments, because the new theme is quite nice, especially the titlebar buttons.
hehe...sounds like me doesn't it...

actually we were corresponding during the making of cricket (i was test driving it) and later when it was released i told him what people would say and did say...i suggested he come here...he said he came by in the past and thought that there were "some hilariously dopey posts there, and some very nice ones as well"

he's a great guy and we're lucky to have him (his ideas are fresh and talented and he is a major talent in the graphic arts field) as we are lucky to have you and the others...

and he also mentioned updates for panther when it's released...

swiz
GUI Punk
Aug 14, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
"some hilariously dopey posts there, and some very nice ones as well"
One of those quotes is mine, though Im sure he felt it was one of the dopey ones; I still fully support it with regard to Cricket.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 02:04 AM

When looking at that page with both Regia and Cricket on there, something in my head says how did he make Regia if Cricket is that bad.

I love Regia! Keep up the good work!

Cricket was just way too far out in left field for me. Oh well, to each his own.

Mac Guru

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2003, 05:13 AM

Regia is quite nice.

The only bug I've noticed is that in Grahite mode, th inactive scrollbars are the same blue as when in Blue mode.

Perhaps they should be pure gray?

Finally, It seems a little odd that the Apple icon menu is so flat, when everything else has so much depth.

-mpm

P.S. I like the progress bars!
( Last edited by mpmchugh; Aug 16, 2003 at 02:58 AM. )

dru
Senior User
Aug 15, 2003, 05:26 AM

Cool beans. RAB rocks my socks.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

catsank
Aug 15, 2003, 09:24 AM

http://homepage.mac.com/dsky/english/index.html

We find inspiration from the inspired.

What a riddle, batman - One half Cricket and the other...

Forum Links
Forum Rules