Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Welcome to the Future of OS X Themes

Welcome to the Future of OS X Themes
smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 10:50 AM

Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 10:51 AM

OMG!!!!
Too bad I'm at school.
click one

dillerX
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 10:52 AM

I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2003, 10:53 AM

NICE!!!

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 11:07 AM

A bit lacking in the information dept.

Is there a new theming standard?

Can widgets be moved?

Does it just do what existing themes already do?

Unless this turns into WB for OS X I see no reason why people would need to pay $20 for it, when there are free theme switchers. If theme artists all switch to the new 'standard' it will create a monopoly and force users to buy this product to use any theme - which sucks big time.

Chris

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 11:11 AM

I was the very first to download this. I am not joking. I am the first customer.

*takes a bow*

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 18, 2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
A bit lacking in the information dept.

Is there a new theming standard?

Can widgets be moved?

Does it just do what existing themes already do?

Unless this turns into WB for OS X I see no reason why people would need to pay $20 for it, when there are free theme switchers. If theme artists all switch to the new 'standard' it will create a monopoly and force users to buy this product to use any theme - which sucks big time.

Chris
From the installer:

While you may have heard horror stories about themes kludging user's systems, ShapeShifter makes this a thing of the past. Installing themes in MacOS X used to require some dangerous methods (and more than a little bravery on the part of the end user). Not so with ShapeShifter - now changing the overall appearance of your system is every bit as safe as switching desktops or screensavers. ShapeShifter is safe because it never touches the actual files and resources residing deep within your system.

ShapeShifter is also very simple to use - just grab any guiKit or dlta theme and double-click it ... ShapeShifter will instantly become aware of its presence and pop open the ShapeShifter preference pane. To apply a theme, click the radio button next to the theme and hit the Apply Selected button. That's it!

With ShapeShifter, you can:

�_Change the overall appearance of your operating system safely, quickly, and reliably
�_Experience things that haven't been possible with Mac themes before
� Quickly preview themes without actually applying them
�_Use Jaguar themes in Panther effortlessly
� Install different themes for different users
�_Keep your themes wherever you please on your hard drive
� Add and remove themes effortlessly

By using the ShapeShifter guiKit format, the theme designer can:

�_Do things you never dreamed possible - we're making new discoveries all the time
�_Change text colors, funkify metal windows, mask widgets - all things impossible until now
� Ignore problems with Panther themes like shadows and metals - ShapeShifter fixes them!
�_Distribute your themes in a non-editable format
( Last edited by swiz; Nov 18, 2003 at 11:17 AM. )

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

timdorr
Nov 18, 2003, 11:17 AM

Ok, SS is cool, but when do we get the themeing utilities to make a guiKit file?

I wanna get restarted on Cel Shaded after my OSX wipe...

vipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 11:23 AM

Absolutely awesome. Thank you, thank you - thank you!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 11:24 AM

What are some of the biggest limits that have been broken with SS? Anything more than shadows and colors?

*looks to make sure there are $20 in bank account*
click one

benign
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 11:24 AM

Distribute your themes in a non-editable format ?

Simple Empire...

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 11:26 AM

I must be missing something here. I downloaded this thing and installed it according to the installer, but whenever I preview a theme the theme never applies, and whenever I switch a theme, nothing. This is a brand new install of Panther and I've never applied a theme before. What gives?
jesse ;-)

S A V E D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 11:27 AM

jessejlt, I have the same problem...

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 11:28 AM

Nice. But.. I see no way to revert back to aqua other then disabling the APE and logging out and back in.

Also, when i first installed, i restarted and needed to disable the APE in order for my dock and my finder to fully load.

And whenever i apply a new theme, the finder restarts, but the dock does not.

z|gzag
Nov 18, 2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
I must be missing something here. I downloaded this thing and installed it according to the installer, but whenever I preview a theme the theme never applies, and whenever I switch a theme, nothing. This is a brand new install of Panther and I've never applied a theme before. What gives?
jesse ;-)
Same here but I am running 10.3.1! ?!??!
~zig

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 11:33 AM

Speechless!!
wow!! Sooo Well done.

Thanks Guys.

BTW, is the "ShapeShifter guiKit" available? if yes, where is that?
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Bombia
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 11:34 AM

Hi!

I installed it and applied SmoothStripes and it worked well until I relogged then I couldn't click on any thing in the dock and the Finder. I couldn't open any app. I took the Application Enabler our from the he Application Enhancers folder to the Application Enhancers (disabled) folder and relogged then I could open applications but not same time as using ShapeShifter

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
Speechless!!
wow!! Sooo Well done.

Thanks Guys.

BTW, is the "ShapeShifter guiKit" available? if yes, where is that?
Does this mean that you've gotten it to work?
I still don't understand how this thing doesn't work on an unthemed clean install of Panther. Was there zero beta testing?
jesse ;-)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Bombia:
Hi!

I installed it and applied SmoothStripes and it worked well until I relogged then I couldn't click on any thing in the dock and the Finder. I couldn't open any app. I took the Application Enabler our from the he Application Enhancers folder to the Application Enhancers (disabled) folder and relogged then I could open applications but not same time as using ShapeShifter
Doesn't sound good.... I'm at school so I can't even enjoy the bugs!
click one

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 11:38 AM

This rocks!
http://homepage.mac.com/codywalton/f...w-11-18-03.jpg

One quick question. The read me says any Jaguar or Panther theme should work with Shape Shifter, but when I double click my 10.3 swiz themes, the Shape Shifter panel comes up, but it doesn't recognize the themes. Also doesn't work when I click the little "+" button in the SS pannel.

The themes that came with with work great though... I'm looking for a a good iconset and desktop to match EYLO before It can be really usable. Looks great though.

Everyone involved with this has done a great job. You got my $20 allready.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 18, 2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by timdorr:
Ok, SS is cool, but when do we get the themeing utilities to make a guiKit file?

I wanna get restarted on Cel Shaded after my OSX wipe...
The final version of ThemePark 1.2 (or maybe a new beta) will be able to export guiKits. I've also worked closely with Jason to add the last missing pieces to the Theme Template and rearranged a lot of stuff too.

Nice. But.. I see no way to revert back to aqua other then disabling the APE and logging out and back in.
Simply uncheck the ShapeShifter enabled box in the prefpane.

What are some of the biggest limits that have been broken with SS? Anything more than shadows and colors?
The x-+ no longer leaves a ghost mask over each other when they are inactive, so now you can use custom shaped titlebar buttons if you like.
Metal apps can now again use colored appearances. This is currently a trade of though, since it disables the Metal texture. Jason said that he can change this in the future how ever.

solidfox
Nov 18, 2003, 11:44 AM

So...I wonder...who gets these $ 20? Is it only unsanity or do the other guys involved get their share?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
The x-+ no longer leaves a ghost mask over each other when they are inactive, so now you can use custom shaped titlebar buttons if you like.
Metal apps can now again use colored appearances. This is currently a trade of though, since it disables the Metal texture. Jason said that he can change this in the future how ever.
Cool! So will there be some crazy new things like window borders maybe in the future?
click one

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 11:47 AM

Is there anyone that can provide a link to an Aqua restore theme for Panther? I would like to try out Shapeshifter but first I need to restore Aqua.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 18, 2003, 11:47 AM

Does this mean that you've gotten it to work?
I still don't understand how this thing doesn't work on an unthemed clean install of Panther. Was there zero beta testing?
jesse ;-)
These issues really aree new to all of us. None of us have had any of these issues during testing for over a month now. It'll be figured out soon.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 18, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by mrfrost:
Is there anyway that can provide a link to an Aqua restore theme for Panther? I would like to try out Shapeshifter but first I need to restore Aqua.
If you have any of my 10.3 dlta format themes you can use the aqua restore from one of them. Either apply it with Themechanger or replace the system files manually following the main.themescript file paths.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 18, 2003, 11:50 AM

Step in the right direction, but still doesn't solve the "consistency" problem ones comes to in themeing.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 11:50 AM

I really like it. Would have been nice if it mentioned that restoring aqua isn't needed since no files are actually changed.

Right now its a good theme switcher. Very stable, for me. Works in Jag which is nice. The text color thing alone is worth $20. Finally dark themes with readable text

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

slava
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 11:51 AM

jesse ;-)
Yeah, this is what happens on the release dates and lack of sleep. The installer somehow got the older version of APE in it, so it is not working in Panther.

The fix is simple. Download APE 1.4.1 from http://www.unsanity.net/ape-141.dmg and we'll be also fixing the ShapeShifter archive on our end.

Lame. Sorry for the troubles guys!
// slava@unsanity

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 11:53 AM

I cannot get it to work. I installed it for all users on this machine using Panther. And then I downloaded Aluminum Alloy from Max's homepage and doubleclicked the dlta file expecting it to pop up in ShapeShifter- but noooo. Still just the two default themes. ShapeShifter opens but does not show me the theme.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Step in the right direction, but still doesn't solve the "consistency" problem ones comes to in themeing.
What do you mean? The difference between carbon and cocoa apps? Nope, I think this solves that.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 18, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
I really like it. Would have been nice if it mentioned that restoring aqua isn't needed since no files are actually changed.

Right now its a good theme switcher. Very stable, for me. Works in Jag which is nice. The text color thing alone is worth $20. Finally dark themes with readable text
It is a good idea to have Aqua in place before you use ShapeShifter. Just because if something in the theme isnt "themed" by the creator it will be Aqua and not someone elses theme parts. Its easier to see what needs to be done to tighten it up and offer feedback to the dev.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 18, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
The plan is that guiKiys will include application make overs, icons, desktop pictures etc. So made right, themes will be consistent.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 12:11 PM

Sweeeet. Works great for me so far. Great work guys.
And I'm looking forward to seeing Omega

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2003, 12:16 PM

The plan is that guiKiys will include application make overs, icons, desktop pictures etc. So made right, themes will be consistent.
Max:

Are you going to convert your themes over to this new guiKit system? Also, does your SmoothStripes for Panther theme include the iFix patches as well for QT and iTunes?

Thanks.

slimmy
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 12:16 PM

Just tried this great app with brushed by Max. Menubars are weird. Went back to Smoothstripes.

Slim

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 12:17 PM

EYLO Look at it. OMG I want it.

notlad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 12:22 PM

i just paid for it. its amazing and works great. paired with candybar my machine is now perfect.

http://www.pangburn.cc/desktop.jpg

i've only noticed one problem. the themes don't seem to work with java applications.(intellij idea for instance)

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by slava:
Yeah, this is what happens on the release dates and lack of sleep. The installer somehow got the older version of APE in it, so it is not working in Panther.

The fix is simple. Download APE 1.4.1 from http://www.unsanity.net/ape-141.dmg and we'll be also fixing the ShapeShifter archive on our end.

Lame. Sorry for the troubles guys!
Still doesn't work for me. Do I need to restart or something ?

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Still doesn't work for me. Do I need to restart or something ?
a window pops up and says you need to log out and back in.

Did you do that?

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 12:33 PM

As Slava mentioned, we've ironed out the issue with the old version of APE in the installer. It was installing an older version of APE that didn't have Panther compatibility, so nothing worked.

We've resolved this and uploaded a new dmg. If you've already downloaded, you can either download again or just install APE 1.4.1 from http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/ape

My apologies for the mishap - everyone who tested on Panther already had APE installed, so the issue never arose.

For those wondering about ThemePark and other details of interest to theme creators, I'll be posting a bit about this later in the day, sometime after my back muscles unkink and my eyes unglaze.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 18, 2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Max:

Are you going to convert your themes over to this new guiKit system? Also, does your SmoothStripes for Panther theme include the iFix patches as well for QT and iTunes?

Thanks.
SmoothStripes and AquaExtreme will remain Dlta for a while since the current version of ShapeShifter removes the Brushed texture.
iFix is distributed as a seperate package installer. But when you mention it, I realize that in the future I can bundle iFix with SmoothStripes/AquaExtreme as a complete guiKit

I will make all my themes guiKit in time. The first will be Aluminum Alloy which will be out later this week.

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by smeger:

ShapeShifter 1.0
the one feature I was hoping for and do not see is a slider to change
the transparency of menus and other things LIVE.

I just tried max's EYLO theme and I want opaque menus. You think it
will be possible to make a transparency tab area that has control sliders
to change the transparency masks that are in memory? Pump them up
or down saving the settings of course.

This would be VERY COOL

Chinasaur
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 12:47 PM

Congratulations guys. Lots of hard work went into this app. You deserve a lot of appreciation.

Thanks for making this app.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

timdorr
Nov 18, 2003, 01:02 PM

I will make all my themes guiKit in time. The first will be Aluminum Alloy which will be out later this week.
GASP!

benign
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 01:07 PM

Does it install custom boot, about and log-in screens ?

Simple Empire...

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 01:26 PM

I'm looking forward to hearing more about guiKit.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 01:32 PM

Looks great! Can't wait to try it!

(I hate being at work when cool new stuff comes out )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Looks great! Can't wait to try it!

(I hate being at work when cool new stuff comes out )
Yup... I've got the same problem since I'm at school and don't know the admin passwords for the G4s here, and the lab tech would freak out if she found the GUI all changed.
click one

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 01:37 PM

Who else here has fuzzy menu bar apps? Like my clock, WeatherPop and such? A fix?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Forum Links
Forum Rules