Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Old Ibook 300mhz

Old Ibook 300mhz
suprz
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 11:36 AM

I have an old Ibook 300mhz running panther with airport, just wondering what this ibook is really good for anymore? the previous owner upgraded the HD to 20gb, (going to replace with a 30 i have that hopefully is alot quieter) and installed a CDRW drive in her. just dont know what to do with her other than using her for internet browsing while sitting in bed. I use itunes remotely from my G4.
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 11:39 AM

It's very limited by today's standards. My old iBook 466 really shows its age on the Internet.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2007, 12:16 PM

I use my clamshell constantly at home for IM, browsing, and IRC - it mostly lives on my coffee table these days, unless I'm taking it somewhere to show it off to a friend . I also do a little light Photoshop work on it, and I keep a journal on it.

Mine is the 466MHz model with 512MB RAM installed, among other upgrades. Max out the RAM, get a fast hard drive (e.g. if your 30GB is still only 4200rpm, you're going to see a better peformance boost if you drop in a 5400 or 7200rpm drive), and you should be all right. I wouldn't suggest running Tiger on it.

If you're feeling adventurous, try installing Linux on it - you might find that it runs faster than OS X. Fedora is probably the best all-in one distro these days that still has PPC support.

If you're feeling even MORE risky, you can try upgrading the display to XGA, which would make it far, far more useful for pretty much everything. 800x600 sucks for doing...anything on a computer these days beyond IM. Link to the thread on this mod is in my sig. We haven't tried it on a 300MHz board yet, but it may very well be doable.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2007, 03:01 AM

what do you want to do with it? if you're into nostalgia you can pick up some old games for os9 on ebay real cheap. that's something the intel ones can't do.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2007, 09:11 PM

I had a 366Mhz running Ubuntu Linux & Apache running as my webserver from home.

It was perfect for the task - any limitations of the disk speed were wiped out by by slow uplink. That being said, the site was still pretty snappy - largely due to it not being busy. Sadly, it is no longer my server as the hard disk was almost dead and I haven't been bothered to replace it yet.

You could also use it as a picture gallery / frame which could be pretty cool or set it up as part of a Hi-Fi / dukebox system
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2007, 09:14 PM

Maybe even use it to set up some sort of VIOP telephony system.

Try and find a use for it as you'll never get a cash value anywhere near what it's worth now.
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

finboy
Nov 27, 2007, 06:55 PM

I use mine (300mhz blueberry) for surfing and typing stuff, I still like the larger keyboard and the larger format for my lap. I can still get 3-4 hours out of the battery. I've kept OS 8.6 on it, and i've updated only what I needed to. I'm considering going to a larger HD (it has the original 3.2 in it) but we'll see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules