Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Saint's Row: The Third (aka Saint's Row 3)

Saint's Row: The Third (aka Saint's Row 3)
Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2011, 10:31 AM

I think it's time to start a Saint's Row 3 thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlmSzZKeExY

Saint's Row 3 will be released November 15, 2011.

The Saints own Stilwater after taking over in Saint's Row 2, but in a bank robbery, things go wrong, and the main Saints characters go to jail where they learn about the Syndicate which has taken over the banks. They break out of jail and relocate to Steelport.

What we currently know about the game:

- no multiplayer - I'll miss this, but I won't miss the stacked teams that used to stalk the multiplayer matches.

- still has coop

- still a free world game with main gang related missions and side activities

- new activities as well as some of the old activities

- still 3rd person

- enemies involve the Syndicate, and 3 gangs it controls, and STAG (Special Tactical Anti-Gang) unit - sounds similar to Saint's Row 2.

- Johny Gat and Shaundi are still around.

- powerful new vehicles. New VTOL aircraft. There seem to be tanks.

- some new crazy weapons (ex. a dildo shaped purple bat)

For more information, wikipedia has a page here Saints Row: The Third - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2011, 10:35 AM

When I find it again, I'll add a post with the developers comments on the game.
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2011, 10:38 AM

I assume they'll still give you a home base with a garage where you can store and customize vehicles. I think everyone loved collecting and customizing vehicles. Hopefully the limit to the number of vehicles you can store has been increased.
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2011, 11:00 PM

Some of the game mechanics seem a bit different. Here is a video of some gameplay... including a mid-air fight and shoot scene. Very 007-ish.

Saint's Row: The Third: Comic-Con Stage Demo (Xbox 360) - GameSpot Video

I'm still interested. When I get some time, I'll have to watch the full demo.

There is also a pre-order bonus, of a man cannon truck, stunt suit, and a octopus launcher.

‪Saints Row: The Third - Genki Announcement‬‏ - YouTube
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2011, 08:25 PM

Man, now I see why people go to E3... for the car wash (Saint's Row style)...
‪E3 2011 Saints Row 3 Bikini Car Wash‬‏ - YouTube

Oh, and get this, Hulk Hogan does the voice acting for one of the rival gang leaders.
‪THQ @ Comic Con SD 2011 - Interview with Hulk Hogan on Saints Row the Third‬‏ - YouTube

I don't know Sasha Grey, but she's in it too
‪THQ @ Comic Con SD 2011 - Interview with Sasha Grey on Saints Row the Third‬‏ - YouTube

The Saint's Row The Third Platinum Edition

Saints Row: The Third Collector’s Edition Announced | Anjel Syndicate
( Last edited by Leonard; Aug 3, 2011 at 08:49 PM. )
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2011, 09:40 PM

I found an actual gameplay video. It looks like the game will be much like Saint's Row 2, but bigger and better... can you say a Tank for the Mayhem activity! It looks like it will live up to the hype, of being over the top.

Saints Row: The Third Video Game, Open World Gameplay Walkthrough | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
MacBook Pro

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 2, 2011, 08:34 AM

OnLive says they'll have it on November 15th, I'll probably try it out there and if it's good, I'll wait for the sales they run occasionally.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2011, 11:14 AM

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pre-order it, as well as Modern Warfare 3 and the new Assassin's Creed.
MacBook Pro

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2011, 11:52 AM

First day buy for me.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2011, 03:48 PM

Saint's Row 3 releases tomorrow.

My pre-order will probably arrive Wednesday. I'll probably check it out on the weekend, if I have time.
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2011, 03:15 PM

Nice, my pre-order is out of stock!?!

Isn't the purpose of pre-ordering to know how much demand ahead of time you have, so you can fill it. Must be a supply problem with the distibutor or publisher.

So I'm not sure when I'll be getting my copy.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2011, 03:17 PM

Jerry: I don’t understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?

Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That’s why you have the reservation.

Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don’t think you do. If you did, I’d have a car. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don’t know how to *hold* the reservation and that’s really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2011, 03:46 PM

Reminds me of taking the airline home one Christmas.

gate attendent: "We seemed to have overbooked the plane, and we need three people to hold off for the next one."

plane customers: "But we all have reservations, don't we?"

gate attendent: "Yes, but the airline has a habit of overbooking airlines at Christmas, as customers often book tickets on more than one airline and cancel at the last minute."

plane customers: "But by making reservations, we thought we were guaranteed a seat."

eventually a couple of good samaritans gave up their seats, and received some coupons. Luckily I got my seat.
MacBook Pro

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2011, 07:35 AM

My mate works in a game shop, he's had a few people wanting to order this for their kid. It's not easy to advise people against it for children because the first part of the game is beating people around the head with a giant rubber dildo. I think he's settled on 'massage device' to try to get the message across .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
My mate works in a game shop, he's had a few people wanting to order this for their kid. It's not easy to advise people against it for children because the first part of the game is beating people around the head with a giant rubber dildo. I think he's settled on 'massage device' to try to get the message across .
Yeah it's definitely not for younger kids. It has alot of sexually related content (a modern version of Duke Nukem, in a way) violence, and gangsta slang. Running people over, beating people up, shooting them from cannons, causing mayhem with a tank, stealing police cars...
MacBook Pro

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Yeah it's definitely not for younger kids. It has alot of sexually related content (a modern version of Duke Nukem, in a way) violence, and gangsta slang. Running people over, beating people up, shooting them from cannons, causing mayhem with a tank, stealing police cars...
All the features of why I bought it. So far it's fun as expected. They changed the upgrading from the second, I actually like it better, even though I had no issues with the last one. (You basically pay cash for your upgrades as cash now, instead of doing missions to unlock. Which can be done via you cell phone menu, where you get your missions and some side quests.) Will be trying coop later on tonight and see how that works out.

P.S. The game show side missions are a riot. I got stuck just trying to do those for a while.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2011, 03:31 PM

Well, my pre-order of Saint's Row the Third is in stock this week and is shipping all the way from Richmond. I assume that's Richmond BC (it doesn't say). I should get it within a week and have it in time for my Christmas vacation.

I think Futureshop forgot about my pre-order until I called them last week.
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2011, 03:08 PM

Woohoo. My package was in Montreal this morning. I guess it should get to Ottawa this afternoon, and it should be delivered on Monday.
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2011, 02:17 PM

Finally, got my copy of Saint's Row the Third, yesterday. I didn't know Canada Post delivered on Sundays.

Now I can finally cause mayhem, chaos, and destruction in my own little city. But first I'll have to make a hard decision, do I create a bodacious female character or a male character?
MacBook Pro

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2011, 10:57 PM

You play it twice. Once as each. That's what I'm going to do.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2011, 03:09 PM

I decided to go with a blonde female - I'm not sure I'm going to play it twice. Finally got some better threads, though, then the character editor gave me. Got a couple of cars in my garage already. Just had to have a Police car.
MacBook Pro

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2011, 04:32 PM

Got this for £20 at the weekend and loaded it up for the first time tonight for a quick go, got as far as finishing the , erm, landing, from the aeroplane . This is going to be fun.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2011, 05:00 PM

Yeah, that jet "ride" was something else. Especially catching Shaundi twice in mid-air. Quite a different start for this Saint's Row. Last one, the leader broke out of prison, at the start.

Johnny Gatt is still crazy as ever.

I'm only a little bit further into the story than you...
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2011, 11:19 PM

Well, I just finished Act I, and I can say it's been alot of fun. There seems to be alot more cutscenes in this one. I've been taking it slower through this one, I want to explore and also make sure I get all of the challenges. Most of the game seems easier, except for the survival calls. I need to buy more abilities and weapon upgrades.

They sort of lied about you having access to everything right at the start. You have to buy certain things and certain things aren't unlocked until later in the game I think.
MacBook Pro

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2011, 11:28 PM

Some missions are going to be hard as hell if you aren't upgraded. I suggest going in co-op or trying to jack a tank. Tanks help massively for gang cleanup, missions.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2012, 05:45 PM

I haven't needed too much help, yet, in the missions. But I've now upgraded my health and reduced damage (from bullets, cars, fires, explosions, etc.). Calling OLEG into Survival calls sure helps, as well, he destroys most things, letting you concentrate on helicopters and other things. I also nabbed a tank which seems to be near invicible.

I see most of the Act II missions are just play-throughs or intros of the Activities. I hope there are more story missions.
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2012, 09:56 PM

The DLC for this game is fun!

I completed the Genki Bowl a couple of weekends ago except for one achievement. Got that last achievement this weekend. Basically the Genki Bowl is made up of 3 new activity types. All wild activities!

I just completed the Gangstas in Space and it was just as much fun! It's comprised of 3 missions in which you are filmed doing a movie.

All the achievements for these are easily collected.

On to the 3rd DLC...
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules