Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 40)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I'd been wondering about kid-friendly servers too, as my kid is incredibly jealous of multiplayer. Our solution is one of his friends is starting a server. Supposedly.
Hosting the server isn't really that hard. There are allot of instructions on how. Just need a good connection and a machine you can leave on all the time.
My concern would be policing behavior.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 15, 2012, 08:13 AM

My façade is coming along nicely. Sheep regenerating wool was key. I have at least a stack of spare pink wool if anyone's interested.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2012, 02:46 PM

Okay signs are on and they work. Only they don't work with #. So any sign beginning and ending with one of ~ - = will show on the map. They don't have to match.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2012, 11:28 AM

Weekend Notes

• I think the barn came out pretty well. Might use brick to create a different roof because it comes off as one giant blob, unfortunately.
• Speaking of brick, it's nice how abundant clay is.
• Dug til bedrock on my 7x7 plot. Net result: 36 lapiz, 22 redstone. WHAT A HAUL
• While we're on hauls, my excursions have proven quite fruitless so far. My net gains excluding coal and iron: 3 Gold on Xmas (Lost in the great ****ening), 2 gold last week, 1 gold this weekend. Yeah.
• How would everyone feel about making the town road match the rest of the road? Also, what about a nice simple stone arch to adorn the entrances?
• Still have no clue what the hell I really want to do.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
• I think the barn came out pretty well. Might use brick to create a different roof because it comes off as one giant blob, unfortunately.
The roof line need soffits. And barns don't have porches.

• How would everyone feel about making the town road match the rest of the road? Also, what about a nice simple stone arch to adorn the entrances?
Knock yourself out. Should we upgrade the fence to an actual wall? Or maybe a wall / ditch combination so the sight-line isn't obstructed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
The roof line need soffits.
I've been bouncing that idea around my head since construction Friday. Most of the ideas I have require me to go at least one block higher. Also, the nature of no half width blocks makes them ugly in the opposite manner.

And barns don't have porches.
Whatever you would call this:

Is what I was going for.

Should we upgrade the fence to an actual wall? Or maybe a wall / ditch combination so the sight-line isn't obstructed.
I gave that a passing thought, but I don't think I have any suggestions. Do we want to consider iron fences as an option as well?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2012, 01:16 PM

I'd call that a plot device in a video game. The only barns I found with dormers were ones that had been converted to houses. Any breaks in the roof are just added maintenance and hay doesn't really appreciate the view.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2012, 01:21 PM

I keep forgetting to mention, but notch really did a fantastic job with the lighting system in this game. Aside from me feeling it's on the cusp on dusk around noon (Maybe they should make that the brightest part of the day), the sunsets and ambient lighting are great.

It'd be nice if they would fix drowning, however. The knockback means you can be two blocks from the surface and you'll drown.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2012, 01:21 PM

I'd call that a plot device in a video game. The only barns I found with dormers were ones that had been converted to houses. Any breaks in the roof are just added maintenance and hay doesn't really appreciate the view.
Not the dormers, the ledges. And I don't care what the hay thinks, I'm doing it for me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2012, 01:32 PM

I have no idea why (Well, maybe because I'm aimless), I had the passing idea, "Hey, what if I recreated SiMCity SNES buildings and made a mini city?"

On second thought, does not look feasible.

andi*pandi
Jan 16, 2012, 02:02 PM

I was curious you didn't just connect to the rail that goes literally under the road from the village all the way to andi's
Quoted for truth. You could have saved a lot of rail or just got off at Waverly Oaks.

The stuff in storage at the rail stations is mine... I don't mind sharing the basics, food, wood, cobble... anything else please ask.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2012, 02:45 PM

Quoted for truth. You could have saved a lot of rail or just got off at Waverly Oaks.

The stuff in storage at the rail stations is mine... I don't mind sharing the basics, food, wood, cobble... anything else please ask.
There's a chest/bench/furnace setup between stations. A while back I moved anything of value to the next station.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2012, 02:55 PM

That sounds an awful like...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2012, 06:31 PM

The wife and son are leaving town for 7 days, starting this Friday, which means...

1. Uninterrupted sleep.
2. Copious amounts of cheap food, ordered to-go.
3. Loads and loads of Minecraft, Skyrim, Uncharted, and possibly even some MW3.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2012, 06:57 PM

Put up the archway at the town. Not completely sold on it.If it's meh to you guys too, I'll go ahead and tear it down.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 16, 2012, 07:35 PM

You're saying that I could leave my house and walk somewhere else to get on the train? Sounds terrible.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2012, 08:24 PM

If you went down to your sub sub basement and cut a hole in the north wall you'd hit the rail. This is the house in the village.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2012, 11:02 PM

And it would take me nonstop right into my living room?

andi*pandi
Jan 16, 2012, 11:10 PM

You could make it branch off to do so, using a switch or some such, right under your pathway.

Or don't, hey. What's done etc.

I've been meaning to figure switches out for the various stops, although the south/east rule is working for now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2012, 10:31 AM

I found three diamonds last night! I jokingly said to sek that a Creeper Army was then dispatched to my location. I then spent the next 10 minutes fighting off 5 creepers which apparently had been dispatched to my location. This game is nothing, if not predictable.

At that point, scurred, I slowly made my way back up to the surface, and with some trouble made my way home. All to try and keep 3 diamonds. Starting from scratch, it makes you do crazy, boring things.

Speaking of valuables, did someone drop off 6 gold at my place for some reason?

---

sek, I was afking in your grinder last night while on my laptop and thanks to not using a mouse I broke the glass on the skeleton grinder by accident. I plugged the hole (that's what he said), but you'll probably want to replace that block.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2012, 02:03 PM

A modest proposal for a road branch to allow easy access to the barn from the west, and a more direct, better path to the village from our town to the north east. I have a pretty good idea how to make this cool, while matching your road's aesthetics.

Looking to sek & Jawbone for initial approval, followed by the rest of you townsfolk.

andi*pandi
Jan 17, 2012, 02:31 PM

I'm ok with road branches... but what is west? Not to be deeply philosophical! :lol The game's sun sets in the west, which is north on Blaze's map. This is confusing for communication.

http://blazemkiv.dyndns.org/map/map.html

"According to Notch, the Minecraft sun and moon originally actually rose in the north, not in the east.[4] This was a bug, but was left in the game.[5] This was changed in Minecraft Beta 1.9 Pre-release 4, so the sun and moon now rise in the east.[6]"
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jan 17, 2012 at 03:21 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2012, 02:41 PM

If you want to be really specific about direction, if you Fn-F3 there's a direction value next to the xyz numbers. I'm basing all my compass directions off the map because the in game compass points spawn.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2012, 02:54 PM

West as far as Tectonicus is concerned.

Edit: On the pic the arrows point east and north.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2012, 02:57 PM

Personally I'd just rip op the old road and re-route it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2012, 04:27 PM

sek, I was afking in your grinder last night while on my laptop and thanks to not using a mouse I broke the glass on the skeleton grinder by accident. I plugged the hole (that's what he said), but you'll probably want to replace that block.
That's you and Laminar now that have busted that glass block, I wish I could craft reinforced glass blocks.

Looking to sek & Jawbone for initial approval, followed by the rest of you townsfolk.
Do it up, makes a lot more sense and would give far more immediate access to the barn.

Personally I'd just rip op the old road and re-route it.
This

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2012, 04:28 PM

I'm definitely cool with it. I say anyone who wants to branch off the road, go for it. Let's make this terrain and all major landmarks as accessible as possible.

I've got to start putting signs on my portions though. Directions might get kind of confusing after I've accomplished some of my long-term road plans to the south (south, in this case, being the area behind my castle).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That's you and Laminar now that have busted that glass block, I wish I could craft reinforced glass blocks.
At least they didn't break the whole grinder.

</shame>

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2012, 04:30 PM

For a second I read this as you having busted one of glass blocks as payback.

Do it up, makes a lot more sense and would give far more immediate access to the barn.
Well let me construct the new road before you rip up the old one. I've got some good ideas to implement, but I need to see how they look/work on the ground.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

</shame>
At least I didn't ****ing die when the skeletons started walking through. It happened because I was trying to eat because of the food system.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

</shame>
That acted as a catalyst for me to completely overhaul the grinder to it's current glory, in a way you helped me greatly.

Also eating while using the XP grinder is a must, killing enemies, even with just your fists, uses a huge amount of the hunger meter. I'm probably going to make a Wheat Farm down there for convenience.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2012, 04:49 PM

I was just chowing down on zombie meat.

Edit: Anybody wanna go out for brains later?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2012, 05:04 PM

There is certainly no shortage of rotten flesh, that's for sure.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2012, 06:18 PM

There is certainly no shortage of rotten flesh, that's for sure.
If my wolfs start attacking you it's because I've been using zombie flesh instead of kibble.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2012, 10:56 PM

I just used 4 of my last 5 diamonds making tools to replace the ones I lost in a mine somewhere, and promptly died and lost them in a mine somewhere after picking up about 50 iron, I now have 1 diamond and no iron.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2012, 08:25 AM

Rules of mining:
Never dig straight up.
Never dig straight down.
Stand back from the working face.
Secure your perimeter first.
Glass lava. ( optional once you've gotten used to it. )
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jan 18, 2012 at 08:23 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2012, 10:46 AM

Rules of mining:
Never dig straight up.
This is less dangerous, if you're careful, now that we have leakage.

---

Thanks to whoever polished off that last bit of road by the town. sek donated like 8+ stacks of smooth stone which was much appreciated. I harvested part of the old route to help fund the project and the rest came out of my reserves. If anyone would like to donate a stack of coal for my troubles (cooking stone and placing torches) I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, the tunnel leading west needs three blocks of Glowstone if anyone wants to donate.

I left the bridge intact because I think it's too nice to rip down just yet.

---

The area around the barn is going to weird for a few days as I redesign the barnyard layout and add a pig sty.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2012, 12:15 PM

I polished off the road and stuck the remainder of my donation in your house in the village.

There's a technique for digging strait down too but he dies so frequently I thought more fundamentals are in order.
Also you've got 5 minutes to get your stuff back. The clock pauses if the chunk is unloaded (~140 blocks away.)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2012, 02:24 PM

sek is pushing me to do something already, since I am rudderless, so I will inquire as to the status of this island to the north.

It would also help to know if rail runs underneath it, as a big part of my settling it will be for mining rights.

---

Back-handed compliment for Jawbone: Did you take a course over the summer, or does having a kid magically make you a better designer? Because your buildings in this world are far better looking and placed than from the old world. Really love the four bed building.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2012, 02:41 PM

I will inquire as to the status of this island to the north.

It would also help to know if rail runs underneath it
There is a rail that leaves my house in the village and heads straight north (map north). It's at around y=40 so any mining you do (which will be below y=20 if you want diamond) shouldn't hit it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2012, 03:35 PM

To me it looks like your rail doesn't intersect with that island, so I should be ok, right?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I just used 4 of my last 5 diamonds making tools to replace the ones I lost in a mine somewhere, and promptly died and lost them in a mine somewhere after picking up about 50 iron, I now have 1 diamond and no iron.
This tale of woe moved me very much.

I just dropped off a stack of iron and a diamond pick in your valuables chest.

I've been mining hard lately, mostly to build up a reserve of enchanted diamond tools for every occasion and also to bolster my iron reserves since I'll be laying 700-800 blocks of track to the south soon. Just laying out the perimeter for my latest grid mine at y=12 netted me 20+ diamonds. Of course I ran into every obstacle imaginable...ravine(s), dungeon, spider spawners in mineshafts...you name it.

andi*pandi
Jan 18, 2012, 05:18 PM

Aside from my village house->bedrock mine, I have yet to do a proper mine on this map. Lots of cave exploring though, so tons of iron and coal and a little gold. Too much to explore... I haven't finished exploring my abandoned mine even.

I have decided not to hoard my materials anymore, it's worth a little iron (maybe even a few diamonds) to mine faster.

andi*pandi
Jan 18, 2012, 05:20 PM

A modest proposal for a road branch
Oh, and now that I see your image, this is a fine idea... I started making that road and then was going to undo it and go left as you mark out. Ran out of gravel or got distracted...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2012, 05:47 PM

Aside from my village house->bedrock mine, I have yet to do a proper mine on this map. Lots of cave exploring though, so tons of iron and coal and a little gold. Too much to explore... I haven't finished exploring my abandoned mine even.
Exploring is certainly more exciting, but in the end you burn through way more torches, deal with way more enemies, and die and lose your stuff far more frequently.

Dig down to Y12, make a 60 x 60 perimeter and grid it out 3 blocks apart and you will have more diamond, gold, iron, redstone, lapiz, etc than spelunking through all those caves and mineshafts combined would net you. Iron picks will wear out pretty fast doing this, but I reckon the 3 diamonds a pick will cost you will end up finding double that before it wears out, maybe more.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2012, 07:08 PM

There's a technique for digging strait down too but he dies so frequently I thought more fundamentals are in order.
Also you've got 5 minutes to get your stuff back. The clock pauses if the chunk is unloaded (~140 blocks away.)
Um I know how to mine. My problem is mobs lagging in and killing me before I know they're there.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2012, 08:20 PM

Maybe i'm just stupid but glare???

My problem is mobs lagging in and killing me before I know they're there.
Ah, so its,
Secure your perimeter first.
The pick doesn't come out till the torches are down and the sword is put away. Or you're like Sek and need to be more liberal with the torches.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2012, 01:03 AM

Or you're like Sek and need to be more liberal with the torches.
Hey! I've changed my ways with torches, I use a ton now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2012, 12:24 PM

Maybe i'm just stupid but glare???
The island is just that awesome.

The pick doesn't come out till the torches are down and the sword is put away. Or you're like Sek and need to be more liberal with the torches.
I'd say 90% of my mining deaths are creepers (multiple or in combination with another mob), 6% a solitary Creeper, 3% other mobs, and 1% Lava accidents.

Which makes roughly 96% pretty hard to prevent reliably.

Hey! I've changed my ways with torches, I use a ton now.
You probably only use them because you're rich now. Because boy were you stingy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2012, 12:47 PM

Jungles:

Time for the snapshot of week 3, 2012! List of changes, since 1.1 last week:

Ladders regained their collision box, and vines are climbable when they have a solid block behind them
Added jungle biome (requires a new world) with new tree and leaf types
Updated language files
Dispensers will place mobs instead of releasing the spawner egg
Zombies have new path-finding AI
Wolves have new AI and can be bred (when tame)

Forum Links
Forum Rules