Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing a MacBook unibody case?

Replacing a MacBook unibody case?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2014, 02:30 PM

Well after 6 years, i finally dropped my original unibody MacBook. Luckily it was on a carpeted flood, and nothing was functionally damaged.

However, there is a visible dent in the unibody, so much so that the battery cover doesn't close flush with the case. It is obviously out of warranty now. But i was wondering if Apple can, for a price replace the unibody? (ie I take it into an apple store, pay for parts and labour and have them replace it for me?)

Cheers

akent35
Banned
Aug 8, 2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Well after 6 years, i finally dropped my original unibody MacBook. Luckily it was on a carpeted flood, and nothing was functionally damaged.

However, there is a visible dent in the unibody, so much so that the battery cover doesn't close flush with the case. It is obviously out of warranty now. But i was wondering if Apple can, for a price replace the unibody? (ie I take it into an apple store, pay for parts and labour and have them replace it for me?)

Cheers
Don't know where you are located, but some more details would help. That is, what is the screen size of your MacBook? Also, do you need a DVD drive? If you don't, and the screen size is not much of an issue, if the cost to replace the unibody approaches $800 to $900, you might want to consider purchasing a Mac Book Air. They are great machines, very light, and very fast. When I purchased my 13" Mac Book Air last October (has a 256 gig SSD, and I got it on sale for $1099, a $200 discount at Best Buy), I was replacing my "worn out" 17" Mac Book Pro. I thought stepping down that much in screen size would be a negative, but it was (and still is) just the opposite for me. I thoroughly enjoy the machine.

The newer models are somewhat better, and also less expensive.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 8, 2014, 03:59 PM

Is it just the lower case? Akent's right -- at the Apple store, its not likely to be a cost-effective repair, even at $350.

Ebay might be helpful for a DIY solution.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2014, 04:05 PM

I'm kind of on the fence about the whole thing right now, which is why I'm pricing options.mI'm in the US, and it's the original 13" AL unibody.

It's a purely cosmetic issue. I've been using the dented MacBook since January without any hassles and I have no isues with the functionality or performance of the machine (got an SSD installed a few years ago).

MacFixIt had the part listed for ~$250. I just dont want to have to do the replacing myself.

akent35
Banned
Aug 8, 2014, 04:26 PM

MacFixIt had the part listed for ~$250. I just dont want to have to do the replacing myself.
I could not find that. Do you mean ifixit? Also, does ifixit offer any type of guide for doing the replacement?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
I could not find that. Do you mean ifixit? Also, does ifixit offer any type of guide for doing the replacement?
Yup, my bad. iFixIt.... here's the link....

http://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacB...klit/IF160-001

Cheers

akent35
Banned
Aug 9, 2014, 12:59 PM

Yup, my bad. iFixIt.... here's the link....

http://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacB...klit/IF160-001

Cheers
No problem. I figured that.

By the way, I assume you saw the left part of that page, which contains the replacement guide for the unibody. When I looked at it, it sure looked difficult, especially with all the cable disconnections (and subsequent, in the correct manner, re-connections). If you do pursue it, best of luck. Myself, I would try to sell the machine on craigslist and/or ebay as is, especially since it is still functional. Then, I would buy a 13" Macbook Air, with a 256 gig SSD. You'd be getting a heck of a machine!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2014, 09:06 AM

Unibody machines are definitely HARD to work on due to the unibody construction. But iFixit's instructions are (in my experience) always very well written and thorough. I recommend reading through the entire set of instructions before you order parts. This will let you assess whether you're up to doing this yourself, and what tools (and work space and time!) you'll need to get the job done.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 10, 2014, 10:47 AM

Also, tape the million little tiny screws to the page you've printed for that step as you pull them out. Helps immensely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules