Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Dual 1.25, recieved!

New Dual 1.25, recieved!
neilob_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 09:01 AM

Hi,

Sorry for making a new thread about this but I have just recieved my new dual 1.25 machine this morning. It is fast as hell but certainly not loud. Its quieter than my DA 466, by a LONG way, ther machine is under my desk on a wooden floor so it would also probably be quieter if it was on carpet. The noise if far less noticable than sitting infront of my 233 origional iMac too, because the fan isnt right infront of my face.

Thought I should let you all know this from someone who actually owns one in a home setting.

Regards,
Neil

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 09:04 AM

Congrats! There's nothing like that new-Mac smell to make your day.

Give us some comparisons against that 466 speedwise.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

neilob_uk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 09:18 AM

Yup, ordered yesterday morning, through my front door at 9:30am today. I am going to do some more detailed testing later, but I can tell now dual processors are deffinatly worth the money. The only thing I have noticed so far is I used to get around 35 - 40fps in iTunes on a DA 466, This beauty is between 90 - 110fps, everything is so glass-smooth.

Regards,
Neil

page3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by neilob_uk:
Yup, ordered yesterday morning, through my front door at 9:30am today....
Do I read that correctly...?

Still waiting, ordered 3 hrs after keynote...

neilob_uk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 09:36 AM

You did indeed, I noticed a lot of people on these boards were waiting so I decided to avoid the applestore and order from a reseller. (its much more difficult to find mac hardware here in the UK) I ordered from GHC (www.ghc.co.uk) because I bought my DA 466 from there and recieved good service. I was sceptical as to whether or not they were in stock because they appeared on their on-line store a couple of days after the keynote. But after placing my order a couple of hours later I recieved confirmation that it had been dispatched by express delivery and should be with me the next morning!

As powermacs are assembled in Ireland though maybe they are shipping through to England quicker than to the states.

Regards,
Neil

page3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the info.

Now that is tempting. Order for delivery tomorrow as I know I"ll be in as I'm suffering from a cold from hell

Cancel my Applestore order.

All I'll miss is the bluetooth module which I can live without.

decisions decisions...

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2003, 10:47 AM

No "unable to recognize speakers" on restart or after sleep, I hope...

page3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 11:11 AM

Right. Called GHC and ordered one for delivery tomorrow. Emailed Applestore to cancel my order (tried to call them but queued for ages...).

Bought Pro speakers too so will check that tomorrow.

I must say what a pleasure it was to speak to someone who obviously had time for me.

DinoG4
Banned
Feb 18, 2003, 12:12 PM

Yup, ordered yesterday morning, through my front door at 9:30am today. I am going to do some more detailed testing later, but I can tell now dual processors are deffinatly worth the money. The only thing I have noticed so far is I used to get around 35 - 40fps in iTunes on a DA 466, This beauty is between 90 - 110fps, everything is so glass-smooth.

Regards,
Neil

hi, how do I check the FPS in itunes folks?

neilob_uk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by DinoG4:
hi, how do I check the FPS in itunes folks?
Click the button to get visuals on then click options in the top right hand corner and display framerate.

Regards,
Neil

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by page3:
Do I read that correctly...?

Still waiting, ordered 3 hrs after keynote...
A week and a half for me too. Wonder what the deal is!

Maybe he didn't order it from the Apple store.

neilob_uk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
A week and a half for me too. Wonder what the deal is!

Maybe he didn't order it from the Apple store.
I didn't, anyone in the UK after this machinbe I would certanly recommend that you order from GHC and not the applestore, as for elsewhere I can't say but the applestore is probably not the quickest place to order from for some strange reason!

Regards,
Neil

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2003, 05:06 PM

Hi,
I have just recieved my new dual 1.25 machine this morning.
What's your serial number? (Just curious if they ship still xx305xxxxxx numbers )

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Morpheus:
(Just curious if they ship still xx305xxxxxx numbers )
Actually, it's the xx304's that are suspect. AppleCare KB Doc 86218

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Meadowfield:
Actually, it's the xx304's that are suspect. AppleCare KB Doc 86218
Right! But I've read that xxx303xxxxx means manufactured in the third week of 2003 and as they seem to ship so slowly I wonder if this is because Apple had to recheck/repair their xxx304xxx models.

Kanaeaupuni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 05:46 PM

It's nice to know the fan isn't as loud as people have made it out to be.

That's pretty much the reason i went with a powebook instead of a powermac. I have 3 PC's at work and one of the monsters has 3 fans :/

fans drive me nuts!

neilob_uk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 07:51 PM

Hi,

After using the machine for a full day now I have only managed to get the fans to crank up louder when I restarted the machine, it suddenly did sound like a windtunnel but this went from loud, and slowly became quieter over about 10 seconds and the fans were back to low by the time the machine had started up.

Installed many many things had a good hour game of quake and none of this managed to crank the fans up.

All in all this is looking to be an excellent purchase!

Neil

kaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 01:58 AM

got my BTO 1.25 dualie today as well...
looks like the people that are waiting opted for a SuperDrive, which I did not... standard CD-RW/DVD.

It is not loud at all! The only time it gets loud is when starting up and then the fans slowly go down to normal as it boots up. Just as quiet or quieter than my B&W G3.

I'm very impressed so far... 10.2.4 upgrade hasn't created any date/time or other issues either.

Satisfied!! :-)

HeyAndy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by kaz:

I'm very impressed so far... 10.2.4 upgrade hasn't created any date/time or other issues either.

So the new Powermacs aren't shipping with 10.2.4 preinstalled? I assumed that part of the purpose of 10.2.4 was to support new hardware.

page3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 12:58 PM

Thanks neilob_uk.

Cancelled my Applestore order and ordered from GHC yesterday. Arrived at 1:40pm today

Now to get everything off my linux, Windoze and RISC OS boxes. One computer at last!!

Ps, it is a bit noisy. Not too bad, but only got a 1 bedroom flat so it seems worse than it probably is. It might end up living in the wardrobe

page3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by HeyAndy:
So the new Powermacs aren't shipping with 10.2.4 preinstalled? I assumed that part of the purpose of 10.2.4 was to support new hardware.
Came with 10.2.3 installed. Also had IE so had to download Safari.

calumma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 01:22 PM

My dual 1.25 was bto with a dvd burner and arrived last Friday, so I don't think it's the superdrives that are holding things up.

My serial number is xxx306xxxxx. I suspect that a mobo change is what held up most orders at the Apple Store.

I also haven't had any issues with clock/time when I upgraded to 10.2.4. Although Xbench indicates things are a little slower

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by calumma:
My serial number is xxx306xxxxx.
That's the highest number I heard of till now. Hope the others post their numbers too.

page3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Morpheus:
That's the highest number I heard of till now. Hope the others post their numbers too
XXX305XXXXXX

chammack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 05:58 PM

I also got a Dual 1.25 this week (from my local campus reseller in the US). I ordered it a couple of days after the keynote. It is also a 306 serial number.

I have to say I find it to be extremely quiet. Having not used the previous MDD machines (upgrading from a sawtooth 350), I can't speak on those, but I really can't see what people would bitch about on these machines--at least mine. It is an order of magnitude or two quieter than the Athlon 1000 or Pentium 2.8 machines I work on frequently.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 09:29 PM

I orderd my Dual 1.25 on the 16th and I just saw, through the Apple Store, that it was shipped a few hours ago.

I made the following changes to the configuration:

No Modem, Added Aiport Extreme, Added a Superdrive.

That's all. I did not get the Bluetooth addon.

I can't wait!

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 09:35 PM

SmallDog had some in-stock as of yesterday.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2003, 02:23 AM

Got mine from MacZone yesterday.
DP 1.25. 1.25GB. Added a SuperDrive to it today. Added airport. Very happy with it.

GreyArea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2003, 04:39 AM

I'm waiting for the ATI 9700 Pro card to become available before I place my order. I'm also in he UK but I won't be ordering from GHC - had a bad, bad experience with them when I bought my iMac. That was four years ago so hopefully they're better now.

Phoned Apple yesterday (Friday) and they think the ATI cards will be in next week sometime. Here's hoping, I'm getting impatient :-)
Jim
I'm Old Peculiar and so is my beer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules