Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Question about cordless phones + wireless

Question about cordless phones + wireless
DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 09:56 AM

Has anyone experienced any trouble having their cordless phone near their basestation?
Looking (still!) into going wireless, probably with a Linksys router thingie. Would there be any interference from the cordless phone? Is it even an issue?
Thanks guys!!

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 10:22 AM

no problem here what so ever... dont think thats and issue at all ...

DesignerTerp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Mohammed Al-Sabah:
no problem here what so ever... dont think thats and issue at all ...
Great! My dad had a question about it. Thanks!

PreciousBbird
Apr 15, 2003, 11:08 AM

Read this thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=149704

Unless I am misunderstanding the question, and depending on the phone, it can be a problem. I know, because I have the problem! Good luck.

She's too happy!

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 11:12 AM

np goood luck in your setup and be sure to post what u did and what and how the range is .. blah blah blah

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2003, 11:15 AM

If you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone, the location of its base and handset during a call can affect a wireless network, because they operate in the same basic frequency range. This does not guarantee interference, but it should be a caution to you when selecting both phones and wireless network equipment, and deciding where to put both.

The short answer is that you should not put either end of the cordless telephone (base or handset) between your wireless access point and your wireless computer. It's also a good idea to make sure your microwave oven isn't between your base and wireless computer, as they also work in the same frequency range, and older ones leak a little radio signal sometimes.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

DesignerTerp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
If you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone, the location of its base and handset during a call can affect a wireless network, because they operate in the same basic frequency range. This does not guarantee interference, but it should be a caution to you when selecting both phones and wireless network equipment, and deciding where to put both.

The short answer is that you should not put either end of the cordless telephone (base or handset) between your wireless access point and your wireless computer. It's also a good idea to make sure your microwave oven isn't between your base and wireless computer, as they also work in the same frequency range, and older ones leak a little radio signal sometimes.
Thanks! The base is going to be in the computer room on the lower level, my laptop will be up in my room on the third level. It was either wireless or run wires thru the house. I am going for wireless.

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 12:04 PM

dude screw the phone just say nothing is going to happen if anything does tell him somthing wronge with the phone or just say oops the phone fell and broke

DesignerTerp  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Mohammed Al-Sabah:
dude screw the phone just say nothing is going to happen if anything does tell him somthing wronge with the phone or just say oops the phone fell and broke
LOL! Yeah, I finally got him to get a cable connection in December--after years of dial-up!! We're going wireless, bay-bee!!

PreciousBbird
Apr 16, 2003, 06:15 PM

Yeah, wireless is definitely the 'way to go'. I have only a single desktop machine in my office and I still think wireless is super-fabulous! No wires, no mess, and lots of fun trying to secure the network! Hours of entertainment, really, but then you can show off to your wired friends how much you learned in the Forums at MacNN!!

She's too happy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules