Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > dial in to Airport, get on Net?

dial in to Airport, get on Net?
VX4c90uu22-.01
Oct 12, 2003, 03:35 PM

hi there.

thinking about getting Airport...

if I am away from home, can I dial into my airport and then get internet access?

sounds crazy, but I though I heard you could do it.

thanks, VX4c

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2003, 09:55 AM

That depends on how far "away from home" you are, and how you intend to connect.

With an active Internet connection, you can use a product like Timbuktu to access your computer from elsewhere; it only works if your computer is actually online. I have heard of products that tell your computer to go online through some special command sent to the modem over a phone connection, but that's some pretty wierd stuff.

If you happen to be outside your house, but within the radio range of your base station, you will probably be able to get the ABS to dial out and give you an Internet connection.

Those are the only two possibilities I can figure from your question; if I am off the mark, maybe you can fill me in on exactly what you mean.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

VX4c90uu22-.01  (op)
Oct 15, 2003, 10:10 PM

What I am asking is if I can call my Airport through the phone lines and then connect to the Internet.

Kind of like my own personal ISP.

Is that more clear?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 16, 2003, 08:49 AM

More clear indeed. If your Internet connection is dial-up, then no, you probably can't do what you want. If you have a broadband connection that uses the ethernet port, it may be possible, but I don't know how you'd do it. I don't think the base station is built to handle that sort of connection.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules