Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Perfect Keyboard for G5

Perfect Keyboard for G5
Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2004, 07:52 PM

Ha look's like I have found the perfect keyboard to complement the G5.

That's not gray plastic, that's a nice aluminum edge.
Some downsides though.
It's really a Windows board (boo non Mac key layout)
It says it's a 'Laptop Keyboard' (must mean the mechanism) so the action might not be the best.
it's from these guy's Hoojum who make small 'metal' PC's and cases.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2004, 08:17 PM

and I thought apple keyboards were expensive that ones is over 70 bucks.

and I think by laptop stlye it means the keys aren't as tall they are thinner and more flat.

Leonis
Senior User
Feb 5, 2004, 11:13 PM

that's an expensive keyboard
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 11:50 PM

Nice, but I don't want to give up the Apple logo on my G5 keyboard for a windows one.

"If it's broke, you choke."

reader50
Administrator
Feb 6, 2004, 02:01 AM

The perfect keyboard would be one with a real Power key on it. Can't tell from the picture if there is a power key or not on that one.

I'd think 'laptop action' would mean short travel distance for each key. Along with the lower/flatter part SSharon mentioned.

These guys know something about the Mac market, they resell Formac displays in their Displays section. It might be worth your time to fire off an email, see if a Mac key layout & key caps are an option.

Edit: The matching mouse is another $32 bux. It appears to be 2-button + wheel, but also looks uncomfortable:

( Last edited by reader50; Feb 6, 2004 at 02:13 AM. )

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 10:18 AM

I belive this is the same one, under the CoolerMaster brand, and sold at Newegg. Only $15, so it might be a cheapie, but it is aluminum.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2004, 10:22 AM

That's a nice looking keyboard, but without the Mac keys, I wouldn't buy it.

I still like the Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard I'm using now. Once you load the drivers on it, it's very nice. Not aluminum, but still nice.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Aquila`
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 09:18 AM

why would you want another keyboard? i think the apple keybord looks just fine next to my G5 and my apple display. I have had different keyboards and i think my apple keyboard is the best one.

-Q-
Feb 10, 2004, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Aquila`:
why would you want another keyboard?
B/c not everyone thinks the Apple Keyboard is the best. I don't think Apple's produced a great keyboard since the old Apple Extended II.

I personally like my Logitech.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 12:49 PM

Keyboards and mice are, IMHO, the most subjective parts of your computer setup. The monitor also, to a lesser extent. I have an interesting setup - Logitech MX500 mouse and Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard with a PS/2 adapter so I can use the thing on one of my USB ports. I use uControl to remap the keys. I really would like a USB ergonomic keyboard, but I can't find any other than some expensive wireless keyboard/mouse combos from Logitech and Microsoft.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 05:59 PM

Maybe I'm just weird, but I'm disappointed that none of Apple's stuff matches anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if you buy a G5, you get a white keyboard and a white mouse, to go with your aluminum/black tower, and if you buy a display, you get a sort of silvery/blue with clear plastic that goes with the Quicksilver cases, but not with the G5.

It used to be, you kept your mac ON your desk, cause it looked so cool. Now it seems like you put it under the desk because, 1: its big, and 2: it doesn't match the rest of your gear.

Apple needs to figure out how to make its whole system look like a team.

masugu
Senior User
Feb 14, 2004, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Maybe I'm just weird, but I'm disappointed that none of Apple's stuff matches anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, if you buy a G5, you get a white keyboard and a white mouse, to go with your aluminum/black tower, and if you buy a display, you get a sort of silvery/blue with clear plastic that goes with the Quicksilver cases, but not with the G5.

It used to be, you kept your mac ON your desk, cause it looked so cool. Now it seems like you put it under the desk because, 1: its big, and 2: it doesn't match the rest of your gear.

Apple needs to figure out how to make its whole system look like a team.

I agree - with the exception of the Cinema Displays. I think they match up just fine with the Metal G5s...and I am not just saying that because I got my 20" Cinema Display today. Well...OK, maybe I am.

However I agree that the white keyboard and mouse are an absolute joke! I am going to use my black key pro keyboard & my black one button Apple mouse...

Truepop
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 05:43 PM

I hate the new new white keyboard and mouse. There is a white one that is like the pro keyboard in the way it is built but is white and another that is a stripped down of that.... the ugliest keyboard I have seen.

But I have a final cut pro keyboard I am about to bust back out when my tower arrives and it is ugly as hell too but it is labeled neatly and not for looks.

---

If that is a laptop type keyboard, maybe you could buy it and then find one of those websites that sell extra powerbook keys and get an extra command key to replace the windows key. and the alt to the alt/option key.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2004, 09:06 AM

I've noticed that although they look identical, the Apple keyboard (current white one) and the Apple Wireless keyboard have slightly different feels - at least mine do. The feel of the Wireless keyboard, IMO, is much nicer than the included keyboard.

I think Apple's ADB Extended Keyboard II has such a legendary reputation because it was really the only outstanding keyboard Apple had ever produced, until the Wireless, that is. I used an Apple Keyboard II since my first Mac (Quadra 605) up to the blue & white G3 (had a MacAlly iKey for the B&W, which was also a nice 'board).

Yes, I'm going to blaspheme and suggest that (although the feel is different) the Apple Wireless keyboard has the best action of any keyboard since the Ext. Keyboard II.

eddd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2004, 12:19 PM

I've got that keyboard (or at least the Cooler Master version) and use it when on the road with my desktop machines. It's slim, small (important top me), and aluminum on top...that's all good. But it's pretty cheaply made, lightweight, black plastic on bottom, cheap short USB cable, and has the low-profile, laptop-style keys (and action, but stiffer), which I don't really like on my desktop machines. It's not all that bad for occasional use, but it would get on my nerves if it were my main board. Looks like it's cheap from NewEgg (I paid $30 somewhere else). You'll see...you get what you pay for.

FWIW, untreated aluminum isn't the greatest material for contacting skin - it discolors (both metal and skin) and doesn't feel all that great. I wonder if Apple came to the same conclusion - otherwise, it seems like they would have developed a matching G5 keyboard. What might really be sweet would be to adapt the G4 laptop keyboard, with backlighting and all, but with desktop keys and action.

masugu
Senior User
Feb 15, 2004, 07:14 PM

.... What might really be sweet would be to adapt the G4 laptop keyboard, with backlighting and all, but with desktop keys and action. [/B][/QUOTE]

Now this make some sense...I think the Black Keys (great band by the way) pro keyboard - while my favorite Apple-maid keyboard - is still a tad too small...They could use this as a starting point, add the silver keys and - can I dream - make a split key version ala (I am going to say it) Microsoft

Why oh why can't Apple excel on these two hyper-critical user interfaces. I mean, you touch these two things more than anything else ( stop laughing that's not what I meant ) on your computer...

Forum Links
Forum Rules