Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac, sluggish performance

New iMac, sluggish performance
DinoG4
Banned
Feb 9, 2004, 08:07 AM

Hello there, I have a new 1ghz 17" imac with the stock 256mb ram, running panther, things seem a laggy to me, (loading pages in safari, and basic gui) is the lack of ram my problem?....im comparing this to an xp box in my network..Im new to the mac scene and a bit disappointed...thanks for any input.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by DinoG4:
Hello there, I have a new 1ghz 17" imac with the stock 256mb ram, running panther, things seem a laggy to me, (loading pages in safari, and basic gui) is the lack of ram my problem?....im comparing this to an xp box in my network..Im new to the mac scene and a bit disappointed...thanks for any input.
Yeah, probably the RAM. Go out and buy a 512MB DIMM. That should do the trick.

beetleboy
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 07:17 PM

Yup, some more RAM oughta do it.

Beetleboy
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 08:11 PM

Hello there, I have a new 1ghz 17" imac with the stock 256mb ram, running panther...
Just a thought, but did the iMac come preinstalled with Jaguar (10.2), which was then upgraded to Panther (10.3)? If it shipped with Jaguar, did you do a clean install of Panther, or an upgrade? Generally speaking, with a new OS you should do a clean install or at least an archive-and-install, rather than just upgrading.

But yes, RAM is almost certainly your biggest problem.

Big Fat Octopus
Feb 10, 2004, 08:29 PM

I still only run Jaguar but I was reasonably happy with 256Mb of RAM on my iMac.

It all worked happily except when scanning and processing 30Meg image files. Also, window resizing and some apps like iPhoto could at times be annoyingly unresponsive. So I went out and got another 512Mb and it made a huge difference.

Go for Extra RAM!

As a side note: We have an eMac running Panther at work which has had a problem with Finder running at 90% CPU whenever "Fast User Switching" is enabled. It turns into an absolute pig dog even though it has 640Mb of RAM. Turn off Fast User Switching and everything is happy joy!

If curious, have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/) and see if there is any one application or process that may be sucking your CPU to death!
- 24" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB 500GB
- PMG4 450Mhz 384Mb OSXserver.
- iPhone 3GS

DinoG4  (op)
Banned
Feb 10, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
Just a thought, but did the iMac come preinstalled with Jaguar (10.2), which was then upgraded to Panther (10.3)? If it shipped with Jaguar, did you do a clean install of Panther, or an upgrade? Generally speaking, with a new OS you should do a clean install or at least an archive-and-install, rather than just upgrading.

But yes, RAM is almost certainly your biggest problem.

ya, I did the upgrade..my new ram arrives tomrrow, ill see if that helps..if not, ill do a clean install, thanks for reply.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Feb 11, 2004, 06:43 PM

DinoG4, I saw your other post about the ram being installed and nothing having changed apparently.

Have you tried checking your CPU load with Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/) as suggested above?
And if this does not yield any results, run a sort of benchmark, try XBench (versiontracker.com) to see how your machine compares to others and if the sluggish feeling is just subjective or really there.

How does your iMac compare to other iMacs (or macs in general) under 10.3?
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

DinoG4  (op)
Banned
Feb 11, 2004, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Ambassadeur:
DinoG4, I saw your other post about the ram being installed and nothing having changed apparently.

Have you tried checking your CPU load with Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/) as suggested above?
And if this does not yield any results, run a sort of benchmark, try XBench (versiontracker.com) to see how your machine compares to others and if the sluggish feeling is just subjective or really there.

How does your iMac compare to other iMacs (or macs in general) under 10.3?

Hi, I just did just that, I ran xbench and its the same peformance as others in my class...so I guess its just me expecting something more....thanks for your reply!...Dino

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Feb 11, 2004, 07:11 PM

Hi, I just did just that, I ran xbench and its the same peformance as others in my class...so I guess its just me expecting something more....thanks for your reply!...Dino
You're welcome! But when it gets to Macs, it's not necessarily raw perfomance that's the strong point, it's the overall way of working, its ease of use (sorry for abusing THAT term again...), the little downtime you have (or should have), and a lot of small things that add up to your "mac experience". So don't feel too bad about that sluggish stuff...

Plus: Now you should have enough ram to run more programs at the same time at acceptable speed
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

Forum Links
Forum Rules