Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help..Printing Problem

Help..Printing Problem
MacUser99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 09:51 AM

I have just purchased a Brother HL-5140 for my Powerbook G3. I am running OS9.2 The icon comes up on the chooser but when I go to print I get an error message saying "Printable spool file cannot be found". I have the latest printer driver, I tried turing off the background printing. There is a printer spooler in the extensions folder and it is turned on. Please help! Thanks

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 01:32 PM

Are you going to post your question in every single forum? Very annoying.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MacUser99  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Are you going to post your question in every single forum? Very annoying.
YES I AM!!!!!!!!!!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by MacUser99:
YES I AM!!!!!!!!!!
Well, if you're going to be a jerk about it... time for the ignore list for you,

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MacUser99  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Well, if you're going to be a jerk about it... time for the ignore list for you,
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE inappropriate!!!!!!!

Three things going on here.

One, a question only belongs in one forum. A lot of people who read one of the forums read the other and only need to read your question once.

Two, name calling, especially names including those particular words, are inappropriate, and just adding smiley faces at the end of them doesn't make it right, or funny. It just renders it, and the whole thread, useless. Don't do that.

Three, I'm locking this thread as soon as I answer the question. So much nonsense has gone on in the last few posts, that it's just not going to get any better.
( Last edited by vmarks; Jul 17, 2004 at 10:02 AM. )

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2004, 10:06 AM

Brother printers, especially for OS 9.x, are annoying. That background printer spooler is a big problem, as you need to stop it at various times to install software, and it invariably locks up finder, bringing the whole system down.

The OS X drivers are much better.

The best thing you can do is NOT use the latest drivers right away, but instead use the ones on the CD that came with the printer, and try and remove all the stuff it installed the first time (extensions, etc.) before running the install from the CD.

LASTLY, this is not a powerbook problem, this is a brother and OS 9 problem. It doesn't belong in the powerbook forum, it belongs in the Classic forum, as it deals with now-obsolete Classic Mac OS.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules