Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme

Airport Extreme
jicohen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2004, 05:20 PM

Hello all; I've got a problem and I was hoping someone could help. So I've got an airport extreme base station that I've tried to set up multiple times. I followed the instructions in the manual and used the airport admin utility and airport setup assistant. I even enlisted my brother who's a hardcore mac fiend and he couldn't figure out the answer. My computer, an ibook, recognizes that it's getting a strong signal from the airport, but whenever I try to get onto the internet, I can't do it. It's like the computer knows that the airport is there and working, but that it just can't communicate with the computer. Any thoughts, suggestions, tidbits of info? Thanks.

VX4c90uu22-.01
Nov 13, 2004, 11:46 PM

you need to give more detail on your setup, such as how you are connected to the internet...

jicohen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2004, 01:53 PM

I connect via cable.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2004, 01:59 PM

Unplug your cable modem from the wall AC, wait a minute or two, then plug your cable modem back in. Many cable modems need to be "power cycled" when the computer (or router) connected to them changes. Your Airport base station is a (wireless and wired) router, power cycling your cable modem should do the trick.

tsuki
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 01:32 AM

I'm having the same problem connecting a powerbook to a new Airport extreme base station but my connection is with a modem. It never connects to my isp..it says it's dialing & connecting but never does.I've contacted apple support (who said the problem must lie in my isp)All my software and firmware are up to date btw.My isp only has one local phone number that I can try, they gave me some different dns numbers but they did nothing.My question is can this really be the problem? Are some isps just incompatible with Apple?Should I buy another router & return this one? Thanks for any help.

Imke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2004, 06:06 AM

I have the same problem with a G4 desktop and a G4 PowerBook. I've got a DSL ethernet modem that works fine wired. when connected to the Airport network it shows up to be connected to the internet via Airport but it doesn't go anywhere. The network as such (between the computers and printers) works fine. I tried resetting the modem and set things up from scratch but it didn't work either - any thoughts?

Thanks
Imke

ecrelin
Dec 10, 2004, 10:53 AM

In the case of the network (two machines) some DSL ISPs allow for two machines to connect with DHCP on one line, were you doing that or do you have another router, or is your modem a router? Make sure that you have that IP address in the router/gateway field in the airport not the one for the ISP. You do have the ethernet to the modem in the WAN port correct? Did you have to set up PPPoE on your machine for the DSL? if so that has to be in the airport and deleted from the machine. Make sure you don't have ethernet bridging turned on as it will "f" up the routing. Why don't you guys take a screen shot of your network settings windows on the clients and the airports or at least write down what they have in them and we could see if anything sticks right out.

Flumpus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2004, 08:02 PM

I had that exact same problem and ended up having to call my cable company and had to give them the mac address for my router. That fixed everything and I haven't had any problems since.

tsuki
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2004, 03:46 PM

for some other poor soul that comes along searching.The answer to my problem (dial up account) was switching ISPs. I signed up with earthlink & it worked perfectly from the instant I plugged the settings in.If your ISP doesn't help you out just move on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules