Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Pro Mouse Problem

Pro Mouse Problem
Gioneill
Jan 12, 2001, 11:00 PM

I've had two Snow iMac DVSE for about four months now. About three weeks ago, my pro mouse started to do this really weird thing where the mouse icon will jump all over the screen and not follow the path of my hand. Other times it just vibrates in the same spot while I try to move it... Since I have two, I've swapped in and out through every conceivable way (changing keyboards, mice, same keyboard different mouse, different ports, etc.). I've also reset the pram and just upgraded to 9.1 and still the problem persists. I figure it has to be a problem with the mouse, but it isn't like I've damaged it in any way. If anyone could help me out with this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Gioneill

Sprockets
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 04:56 PM

Hello,

From what I've seen on these Forums, it may be the surface in which you're using the mouse. I believe the post I read regarding this stated that they were using their Pro Mouse on a woodgrain-type surface. Apparently the grain causes the optical sensor(s) to not function correctly.

Good luck!

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2001, 06:46 PM

I have a Microsoft Optical mouse, and I get the same thing at times. My desk is also of a wood-grain pattern. I find that lifting the mouse off the desk for a second or two, then putting it back down fixes everything.

webraider
Jan 17, 2001, 11:50 PM

I have an apple pro mouse as well and My suggestion is to go to Wal-Mart, or Staples and buy a generic Grey or Blue cloth Mouse Pad. You can get one for like $3.00. It will fix the poblem with your mouse! Contrary to what anybody tells you it's still god to use the pad with a Pad primarily for the color more than the traction reasons of the old mice!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2001, 12:11 PM

ya. you pretty much have you use an optical mouse on top of something single colored with no pattern (a piece of paper will work). it wont work on glass/mirrored surfaces either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules