Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 4.9 released! Please report here w/any problems ...

iTunes 4.9 released! Please report here w/any problems ... (Page 2)
Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Yes, it does.
He probably meant within the store, hiding the "Subscribe" option if you're already subscribed...but, then again, the store doesn't even hide "Buy Song" if you've already bought it.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
He probably meant within the store, hiding the "Subscribe" option if you're already subscribed...but, then again, the store doesn't even hide "Buy Song" if you've already bought it.
Exactly - just seems a bit 'dumb' in the approach.

Yet another issue: there's no unread count like there would be in an RSS app, so I don't get notified when there's new content.

olli_g
Jun 28, 2005, 02:13 PM

Big problem here:

Downloaded "iTunes New Music Tuesday June 28, 2005", when trying to play it, a message pops up: "This computer is not authorized to play this file" WTF?

Logged in and out from iTMS, restarted iTunes, I even deauthorized my Mac (and now I've found out I can't re-authorize it, because I have never bought a song in iTMS, and you authorize a computer by double-clicking a protected song), but still no luck...

What is this? Other podcasts work fine.

But: iTunes New Music Tuesday is a MP4 file, the other podcasts I've downloaded are MP3. Neither do converting to MP3 nor listening in the Finder work.

What to do?

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
Whats with all the knee-jerk bitching without looking first in this thread?

-Owl
You act like that's not the norm here . . .
-- Jason

BikerJonTN
Jun 28, 2005, 03:07 PM

I have the same problem playing Store-downloaded podcasts as two people before me mentioned. "This computer is not authorized to play this copy of XXXX." They do, in fact, play fine when double-clicking inside the Store.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 04:34 PM

Non of the Podcasts seem to be available anymore, it says the URL is not valid for any that I select.

They also don't show any times for the podcasts they all say Not available.

Seems there is a bit of a problem (in the Uk anyway)

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2005, 06:11 PM

this isnt really a problem with itunes 4.9, but I just had itunes check for updated software via the help menu (on my pc), and it says 4.8 is the latest version. Minor slipup Apple...
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

blicked
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by biscuit
Somewhat annoyingly, there's no option to remove podcasts from the source list. You can remove the other stuff (radio, music store, party shuffle), so this seems like a lazy oversight.

biscuit
I agree- It seems like a lazy oversight, but it's very annoying. I'm not going to be doing the podcasting thing anytime soon, so for now it's just a waste of space.

porieux
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 06:30 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:45 AM. )

porieux
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 06:37 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:45 AM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Yep, right where it belongs. Turn on any radio and see why.
Oh, you're talking about *music* stations.

I thought you were talking about spoken word radio.

where I live, there are two channels that actually have excellent spoken-word programming. And that's not counting cable channels.

And since Podcasts aren't under the same financial pressure as radio stations - ANYBODY can make a podcast, yes, even YOU, smart-ass, I don't know what you're on about.

now go out and create some decent programming, or STFU.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 07:58 PM

One problem I have run into is that I can't get smart playlists to recognize the genre 'Podcast' unless the podcast file is copied to my library. I was hoping this would be an easy solution for my wife's 1G iPod: Just set up a smart playlist with the 'Podcast' genre and she would always have all of her podcasts, but it doesn't quite work.

kman

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
ANYBODY can make a podcast, yes, even YOU, smart-ass
From my quick glance at the available casts, that is exactly the problem with it.

mhodos
Jun 28, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by kman42
One problem I have run into is that I can't get smart playlists to recognize the genre 'Podcast' unless the podcast file is copied to my library. I was hoping this would be an easy solution for my wife's 1G iPod: Just set up a smart playlist with the 'Podcast' genre and she would always have all of her podcasts, but it doesn't quite work.

kman
I think this a bummer, too. I used to sort my podcast smart-playlist by "Date Added to Library" pre-4.9 and using ipodder. This way I could listen to playlists in chronological order. Yes, it would jump from one podcast to another, but since they were mainly tech news stuff, having them in chronological order was great for me.

Now, I can't seem to create a smart playlist with podcasts downloaded with iTunes, and the podcasts show up on my iPod organized into folders of like podcasts.

You can view the column for "Date Added" (as well as others) in the podcast source, but you can't sort by it, and you can't get rid of the categories.

So, no using podcasts within Smart Playlists, and no sorting podcast playlist order?

Have I missed something?

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2005, 10:41 PM

On my PC the iTunes takes up 99% processor now while downloading podcasts. Doesn't happen when downloading songs off the music store. iTunes usually only uses 2% or 3% processor when running normally.

hawks5999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by mhodos
I think this a bummer, too. I used to sort my podcast smart-playlist by "Date Added to Library" pre-4.9 and using ipodder. This way I could listen to playlists in chronological order. Yes, it would jump from one podcast to another, but since they were mainly tech news stuff, having them in chronological order was great for me.

Now, I can't seem to create a smart playlist with podcasts downloaded with iTunes, and the podcasts show up on my iPod organized into folders of like podcasts.

You can view the column for "Date Added" (as well as others) in the podcast source, but you can't sort by it, and you can't get rid of the categories.

So, no using podcasts within Smart Playlists, and no sorting podcast playlist order?

Have I missed something?
This is a big problem for me too. I used to have nimiq download all my stuff and use a smart playlist to capture all genre "podcast". This allowed me to play through my whole variety of podcasts on my ipod. Now the podcast menu on the ipod won't even play the next track in a subscription, just repeats the same track over and over ...

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 02:30 AM

- Some MP3s now show up as "QuickTime movie files" and will NOT play over AirTunes.
- Videos still cannot be played over AirTunes.
- Equalizer graphics do not work for either of the above.
- Artwork is also lost for these files.

( Last edited by alphasubzero949; Jun 29, 2005 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Lost artwork)

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 04:21 AM

DAMMIT...one of my MP3s no longer plays as a result of 4.9. I had my gf try to send me a copy of the song in question. Apparently it stopped playing on her iBook as well (another copy of it still works with 4.8).

I swallowed a gulp, converted the 128 Kbps MP3 to 128 AAC (yes, I know...bad), and whaddayaknow the new file works.

So beware folks, this version is VERY picky about MP3s. It will lose artwork on some (replacing it with "Album artwork not modifiable"), render others as QT files, and completely cease playing yet other files in some cases.

stevek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 11:14 AM

Got mine working now. Still have issues with a couple feeds (some with invalid URLs, etc... - for example none of the Air America podcasts seem to work). One thing I would like to know about is how they are making all these files bookmarkable - even on the iPod? I notice a lot of these files are still plain old MP3 - I was under the impression only AAC files were bookmarkable?
I have a TiBook. I have an iPod. Life is good.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
From my quick glance at the available casts, that is exactly the problem with it.
It's the only chance it has at being better than the unbearable 99% of the radio out there.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 12:21 PM

I seem to be having very little luck downloading anything outside of the UK - TWiT, The Daily Source Code and the new music podcast all time out repeatedly for me.

stevek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 12:24 PM

Krypton - that was the problem I was having at first also - it's improved greatly for me over the past 24 hours, though.
I have a TiBook. I have an iPod. Life is good.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Macrat
Have they fixed the gap between songs? (one can always dream)
MWahahaha. We will see Longhorn SP3 before we see that fixed.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
WTF ? And Airtunes still doesn't make coffee, clean the kitchen and bring out the trash. APPLE I HATE YOU !

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2005, 04:22 PM

- Some MP3s now show up as "QuickTime movie files" and will NOT play over AirTunes.
I think that, just as soon as you've worked out how to synchronize audio that has been converted to AIFF, compressed to ALE at whatever speed your CPU can handle, sent over a non-timestampable protocol, decompressed and played with video playing on your computer screen...

...you should call up Apple and let them know.

(But be sure to apply for a patent first.)

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by stevek
Krypton - that was the problem I was having at first also - it's improved greatly for me over the past 24 hours, though.
Yep I've realised that my favourite podcasts had run out of bandwidth, rather than disappeared off the face of the earth - they're working now, albeit very slowly.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
Yep I've realised that my favourite podcasts had run out of bandwidth, rather than disappeared off the face of the earth - they're working now, albeit very slowly.
The burden of popularity...

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by hawks5999
This is a big problem for me too. I used to have nimiq download all my stuff and use a smart playlist to capture all genre "podcast". This allowed me to play through my whole variety of podcasts on my ipod. Now the podcast menu on the ipod won't even play the next track in a subscription, just repeats the same track over and over ...

I sent in feedback on this and so should others who would like to see it. I'm sure it's just an oversight as it seems like an obvious thing to include.

As a workaround, you can just copy the files to your library by dragging them to a playlist and then they are picked up by Smart Folders. Not the best, but it's something

kman

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 11:17 AM

You can add Podcasts to a normal playlist, but there seems no way to automate it with a smart playlist, as has been mentioned.

stravinsky1911
Jun 30, 2005, 12:17 PM

This kills the option of having a smart album with all podcasts, as the podcasts seem to be catalogued separately from other files.

Smart Album: Podcast: "add all files with genre "podcast"

No go.

Why???

stravinsky1911
Jun 30, 2005, 12:17 PM

whoops- I see that someone else noticed this. Sorry guys!

porieux
Baninated
Jun 30, 2005, 07:03 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:44 AM. )

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
I think that, just as soon as you've worked out how to synchronize audio that has been converted to AIFF, compressed to ALE at whatever speed your CPU can handle, sent over a non-timestampable protocol, decompressed and played with video playing on your computer screen...

...you should call up Apple and let them know.

(But be sure to apply for a patent first.)
I'll be sure to do that.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 01:01 PM

Problem:

I installed 4.9 the day it was released and have used it alot since then. Today, I got home and opened my computer (iBook 1 Ghz 10.4.2) and iTunes just keeps opening by itself. I close it. Then five minutes later it opens back up. Anyone know what the deal is?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
Problem:

I installed 4.9 the day it was released and have used it alot since then. Today, I got home and opened my computer (iBook 1 Ghz 10.4.2) and iTunes just keeps opening by itself. I close it. Then five minutes later it opens back up. Anyone know what the deal is?
You probably have an app running that is trying to communicate with iTunes; usually a hotkey type app, or dashboard widget might be the culprit.

turk.o
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2005, 09:45 PM

i'm surprised to see that no one has mentioned this, but with 4.9 apple has made the minimum itunes window width at least 30% wider than all the previous versions since it first came out. i always keep itunes open on my second monitor along with my email, sticky brain windows, and ipulse. it was in a long narrow column, slightly less than a third of the 1600x1200 monitor. with 4.9--forget about it. it was impossible to fit on that second monitor, way too wide.

for now it was an easy solution. delete 4.9 and reinstall 4.8, but i can't keep it up forever. i really wish apple would remove this ridiculous limitation.

and yes, i've already sent apple a feedback about this.
t.o

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2005, 10:35 PM

Have you tried clicking the green button at the top left corner of the window? It's not the same as what you want, but it might be good enough.

Chris

turk.o
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
Have you tried clicking the green button at the top left corner of the window? It's not the same as what you want, but it might be good enough.

Chris
ha, well i use the graphite theme, but yes i know about the '+' button and how it reduces to just the track info and controls, but i like to have the whole window there so i can choose between playlists and tracks in the playlists without having to change the window.

and while i'm griping about itunes, seriously when are the going to add folders to the playlist menu, so that i can have playlists divided into folders? seriously i've been waiting for that forever.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by turk.o
...when are the going to add folders to the playlist menu, so that i can have playlists divided into folders? seriously i've been waiting for that forever.
I agree. Even iPhoto has nested albums now. I'll be very surprised if iTunes 5 doesn't have nested playlists.

Chris

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by porieux
I was talking about everything on radio. Music and talking. The talking is even more ignorant than the music and that's quite a feat!

Ah, good: You're just trolling.

I was considering getting involved there for a second.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2005, 10:06 AM

- Equalizer graphics do not work for either of the above.
- Artwork is also lost for these files.
I found that the files of mine this happened to were very old MP3s I ripped in Soundjam and MacAMP, basically most (but not all) files that didn't have an iTunes icon despite reporting that iTunes was the default program for them.

I fixed it by opening the file in ResFool and creating a resource fork.

Also, I just noticed that if iTunes is open and you rename a file in the Finder, iTunes automatically updates its data file with the new name. Has it always done that?

*edit* you can also fix the problem by pasting a custom icon on the file (which you can then remove if you would like).
-- Jason

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 04:42 PM

Actually, the problem has to do with the creator code. iTunes prefers 'MPG3' instead of 'MPEG.' By then it was too late; I had already converted my files to AAC. Now I have to hunt down all of my audio CDs and re-import them (at least 300 songs ).

I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but MP3->AIFF->AAC sounds "OK" compared to direct MP3 -> AAC.

porieux
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 06:01 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:44 AM. )

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 06:34 PM

iTunes 4.9 does not delete previously played podcasts for me. I have tried setting the preferences to "Keep All Unplayed" and "Keep Most Recent" but neither causes previously played podcasts to be deleted. Am I missing something here?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 01:58 PM

Interestingly, you can drag Podcasts to the standard Library, and then they are available in smart/playlists but you don't end up with two copies.

However, deleting from the Library also removes the Podcast from the Podcasts interface.

Andrman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi
iTunes 4.9 does not delete previously played podcasts for me. I have tried setting the preferences to "Keep All Unplayed" and "Keep Most Recent" but neither causes previously played podcasts to be deleted. Am I missing something here?

Yeah, same deal here.

I want to just have my podcasts download to my ipod, listen to them at work on the ipod, come back and have the ipod change the playcount to "1" and then have iTunes delete them and put the new ones on. Why doesn't this work? Half of the podcasts (not all of them, some work fine) are still there after I listen to them and sync.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Andrman
Yeah, same deal here.

I want to just have my podcasts download to my ipod, listen to them at work on the ipod, come back and have the ipod change the playcount to "1" and then have iTunes delete them and put the new ones on. Why doesn't this work? Half of the podcasts (not all of them, some work fine) are still there after I listen to them and sync.

I have same problem... must delete maually! I kept deleting from Ipod Mini but not from iTunes"Podcast" and they kept getting transfered to mini!

sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2005, 06:20 PM

I am using iTunes 4.9 and my party shuffle is broken. I can't get it to refresh or respond to any changes in options. It basically just shows my whole library in normal order. Has anyone experienced this and/or know a solution to it? Is it possible to reinstall iTunes while preserving all my playlists, etc.?

Any help would be great.
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

Forum Links
Forum Rules