Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can Virtual PC 7 Play DVDs?

Can Virtual PC 7 Play DVDs?
hamz01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 06:19 AM

I want to use Virtual PC to run CloneDVD2 which is an amazing program for ripping/compressing/burning DVDs. But Virtual PC 6 doesn't read DVDs, so the program won't work. Will VPC7 read DVDs so I can use CloneDVD? If not.. any suggestions on how to get around this issue?

Thanks,
Brandon

mduser63
Jan 15, 2006, 06:15 PM

If you start VPC 7 up with a DVD in your Mac's drive, it will pop up a message telling you that you can't play DVDs in VPC 7 and to use Apple's DVD player to play them. It does say that you'll be able to access additional (ie. DVD-ROM) content on the disk though. Don't know if CloneDVD will work, but I sort of doubt it. There are several apps for OS X that let you rip compress and burn DVDs. Handbrake and Roxio Popcorn both come to mind, although I believe there are others.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

hamz01  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2006, 04:55 AM

yeah i get that same message with vpc6.

i use mactheripper to rip and then toast to compress/burn dvds with my mac, but clonedvd2 on a pc is exponentially faster then what i can do, which is why i very badly want to be able to use it, but i guess not. oh well... until they make clonedvd for a mac...
PowerBook G4 1.67GHz 1gig RAM
iMac G5 2.1GHz 1gig RAM

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 06:24 AM

cloneDVD2 wont be faster than what you use on OSX, because of the awful emulation speed of VPC
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules