Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > A good time to purchase a PowerMac?

A good time to purchase a PowerMac?
Jason
Feb 16, 2006, 07:50 AM

Giday guys,
I am currently a PC user, however I plan to jump ship to the Macintosh machines a.s.a.p! Although it’s not as easy as I thought. My problem lies in the different powermacs, I’m pretty much just thinking about either the Dual 2.3 or the Quad, however I’m not sure if another $1,400 (AUS) is worth it for getting the quad. The only improvements I see is in the processors, although I’m not sure if ill ever need that much power. The applications that I will be getting the most use out of will be PhotoShop and a bit of premier. I am studying graphic design so being able to use Photoshop easily and efficiently is a must. So I’m thinking that for extreme photoshop use, along with light work with the internet, MS word, iTunes, and all other little programs that are used from time to time the Dual 2.3 should be able to manage my tasks quite easily (jacked up with 2GB or so of RAM anyway).

Also I plan on getting the Dell 30” monitor, and I was wondering if it would be able to run at maximum resolution using the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB or if I would have to upgrade to something else. On that note, would it be better to upgrade to the GeForce 7800 GT for an extra $515 (AUS) for using photoshop or should the 6600 be able to handle it fine?

And my last question, being realistic would I be able to live with the dual 2.3 for three years without feeling that I’m falling behind in the powermac scene. Basically, do you think there will there be upgrades to the new powermacs that would leave a 2.3 or even the quad in the slow coach basket once they come out? Or would the 2.3 or Quad be able to satisfy my computing needs!?

Thanks a million for any advice.
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 09:12 AM

With the intel transition just around the corner, i'd vote no.

But, if you relly need it ASAP, then you have no other choice.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2006, 09:25 PM

The dual 2.3 (or a refurb dual 2.7) should be fine.

You can run one 30" display and one lower resolution display off the 6600. For Photoshop you really don't need the 7800.

The dual 2.3 will always be as fast as it is today. It will never get faster or slower. If it's fast enough today, take it.

Jason  (op)
Feb 18, 2006, 04:56 AM

Cheers Mduell. You said that the intel transition is just around the corner, when is the next mac expo, or when do you guys expect the new version of the powermac to hit stores? I guess I could hold off a few months or so, maybe I could upgrade my PC and wait for the new powermac if its going to just blitz the current powermacs...decisions..decisions!
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

George
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2006, 07:15 AM

Late 2006, is what I had heard (from a Mac beta tester).

But more importantly, when are the native Intel software houses going to release their goodies?

I'd say, in a year, we'll be up to speed; hardware and software (both of which have to be purchased, of course).

As there wasn't such a massive speed difference between dual G4's and dual G5's, there is always today to think about. Wait 10-12 months for a machine which is slightly faster?

Intel chips - they're just chips ... they aren't chips that equate to huge speed differences. If it wasn't Intel chips, this time next you some chip inside a Mac would be running faster than today's models.

It's hype, plain and simple.

No harm in it - they have to sell products, after all.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 01:13 PM

After many internal debates I decided to buy a Quad. My G4 (a 400MHz upgraded to 1GHz) is getting more and more annoying after 6 years of faithful services. I wondered if I should have wait for Apple to release Intel Towers but I can't wait another year for Adobe to release universal binary versions of Photshop and After Effects. I know the Quad will last a few years and will be more than a huge improvement. The things to ask is do you need it now? I considered I wasted a few months just in case... Oh Wel!l I can't wait to get my new Quad, my G4 will then become a file server until it dies an honourable death.
( Last edited by dlefebvre; Feb 18, 2006 at 01:26 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2006, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
Cheers Mduell. You said that the intel transition is just around the corner, when is the next mac expo, or when do you guys expect the new version of the powermac to hit stores? I guess I could hold off a few months or so, maybe I could upgrade my PC and wait for the new powermac if its going to just blitz the current powermacs...decisions..decisions!
I didn't, but I'll answer the question anyway.
If Sossaman turns out to support 64-bit, then I think we'll see Intel pro towers in June at WWDC. If not we may have to wait for Kentsfield or Woodcrest toward the end of this year.

Jason  (op)
Feb 18, 2006, 11:02 PM

Thanks again everyone. However after listening to a few MacWorld podcasts, and hearing about the actual speed impovements/decreasements in the new intel macs, I have decided that I will be safe and go with a G5 while I can. I remember a friend of mine asking me why I dont just go out and buy an intel iMac, and I replied that I dont want to be a test subject for apple. Therefore, keeping true to that statement, I will be buying something that has been tested over and over and has proven to work great (PowerMac G5 2.3 or Quad if i save enough cash!) rather than go with something that undoubtedly will have a few bugs in it. Hopefully I will have my PowerMac in 1-2 months (depending on what i get).

As a last thing, I have decided that I really want a 30" monotor, just due to the fact that if i invest good money in a great monitor it will last me much longer and I wont have to try to sell it in a year or so to upgrade to something better. My options as i see it are the 30" Cinema display, and the Dell 30" monotor. Booth seem quite nice, granted the apple cinema display does go better with the G5 tower, however it is $1,000 more and the Dell has better specifications, so I'm thinking that the Dell monitor is more 'bang for my buck'. Does anyone disagree on that one? Anyone think I should fork out an extra $1,000 to get the cinema display!?

Thanks everyone.

68shelbymustang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2006, 11:53 PM

Jason ... why not buy two 20" cinemas and run dual displays? I've always thought that was the bomb. Plus, you'll save yourself a cool $900 - $1000 and have more real estate.

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2006, 11:57 PM

the dell 20" widescreen is on sale again. get a couple of those and save big bucks. i have two on my DP2.0 and it kicks ass.

rparke1
Banned
Feb 19, 2006, 01:22 AM

why not get dual 23''? much better rez on them than the 20'' and for photos, theyll be better too

Jason  (op)
Feb 19, 2006, 02:41 AM

Well...origionally i thought of getting dual 20" or 23" monotors. Although the price of two 23" dual apple monitors is AU $4,200 ($2,099 each) compared to the 30" apple cinema display for AU $4,000. And then the Dell 30" screen is $2,800, so i think i am better off either getting the Dell or if getting dual screens is the go then it would have to be dual 20". Realisticly having two 20" apple cinema displays will cost me $2500, and i think i would rather just have one huge 30" monitor (dell 30") for a few extra hundred dollars. Also that dell sale isn't happening in Australia right now, maybe it will happen i'm not sure, I would pick up two dual 24" dells if they had that bulk buying sale on again. I missed it last time

Leonis
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 12:30 PM

I personally prefer one big display over two smaller ones. The dual display set up eventually takes up more desk space.

Back to the old 4:3 days I used to prefer the dual display setup until I started using Cinema Display and other wide 16:10 ratio displays. When the screen is in wide aspect ratio all palettes can be put on side and still plenty of space for work.
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2006, 01:12 PM

My company just upgraded all the Macs in the design office — we decided that we need to upgrade now because:

1. Our current equipment is old
2. We need the macs during the next 10-12 months and beyond running our apps correctly

we run the risk of having to "re-adjust" back to intel in 1.5 - 2 years but I think we can "phase" in (because the apps will be able to go both ways i think)

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 10:38 AM

I'm kind of wondering, much as the original poster, if I should wait for the new intel machines, which obviously is the way the company is going, or get an existing machine. I'm in no rush. I have a 5 1/2-year-old G4 (400 mz upgraded to 933 MZ). But after doing my taxes for this year, I realize I could use another deduction (home-based business), and began thinking I'd buy a new desktop sometime in 2006. The G4 works fine, but it is getting older. M needs are fairly routine (I'm not a photographer or video editor; I'm a writer, but use the digital aps for fun) . I'm wondering just how long it will be for companies to release new versions of software, and just how much kmoney I'd have to plunk down to update things. Plus, there could be a long wait involved. Just trying to decide on an "old" power PC or a new intel machine -- when they finally come out.

Fortunately, I'm not in a time bind. Who knows -- maybe there will be a big announcement next week.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 10:57 AM

Everything seems to indicate the announcement next week will either revolve
around a movie store, video ipods, an intel mini, or an ibook replacement.

Desktops are slated for later in the year because the chips that will be powering
them are not available in quantity.

F*ckDell
Banned
Feb 24, 2006, 05:18 PM

Just like others, I am also looking to drop PC and head over to Apple. Looking to spend a good amout of money on a quad, but I'm worried what Apple has up their sleeves for the new power tower. I can already think of upgrades that Apple could add. New 10,000 rpm WD Raptor hard drives, SLI, etc....

we'll see what happens...

F*ckDell
Banned
Feb 24, 2006, 05:21 PM

Just like others, I am also looking to drop PC and head over to Apple. Looking to spend a good amout of money on a quad, but I'm worried what Apple has up their sleeves for the new power tower. I can already think of upgrades that Apple could add. New 10,000 rpm WD Raptor hard drives, SLI, etc....

F*ckDell
Banned
Feb 24, 2006, 05:21 PM

F*ckDell
Banned
Feb 24, 2006, 07:54 PM

Sorry about that - result of a PC freezing up while trying to post a comment...

Jason  (op)
Feb 26, 2006, 01:38 AM

F*ckDell, Great username! lol, I went to the apple shop the other day, and I was quoted just under $10,000 for a Quad and a 30" cinema display. The thing that surprised me the most was when the guy at the apple shop said "yeah i can give you a huge discount off a 30" monitor" and when i looked at the quote it was $225 off RRP, not really enough of a discount to persuade me to buy the apple cinema display over the 30" dell monitor, so im pretty sure ill be going with that. Im pretty keen on the Quad, but if I may just invest in a 2.3 and jack up the ram and video card...but we'll see. I'm actually trying to save for new office furniture and what not, so i have to prioritise!.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
F*ckDell, Great username! lol, I went to the apple shop the other day, and I was quoted just under $10,000 for a Quad and a 30" cinema display. The thing that surprised me the most was when the guy at the apple shop said "yeah i can give you a huge discount off a 30" monitor" and when i looked at the quote it was $225 off RRP, not really enough of a discount to persuade me to buy the apple cinema display over the 30" dell monitor, so im pretty sure ill be going with that. Im pretty keen on the Quad, but if I may just invest in a 2.3 and jack up the ram and video card...but we'll see. I'm actually trying to save for new office furniture and what not, so i have to prioritise!.
For photoshop, the GPU isn't really important, it's the VRAM. Just stick with a 256MB card that can drive a 30" display and you'll be fine. Also, a Dual 2.3 is still a blazingly fast machine. I can't really see a student needing more than that, seeing as the Macs our university has for design are 1.6 G5 towers with 1GB RAM and even some lampshade 17" iMac G4s.

I guess it all depends on the type of Photoshop work you're going to be doing. In either case, I'd get at least 2GB of memory, if not more. With 1GB DDR2 modules selling for around $70 now, there's no reason you shouldn't go ahead and pick up four of them for your new Mac.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
For photoshop, the GPU isn't really important, it's the VRAM.
For Photoshop, neither the GPU nor VRAM are very important. It's all about the CPU and RAM (at least, until you have enough where you don't swap).

Jason  (op)
Feb 27, 2006, 03:57 AM

Hey thanks guys, I'm pretty sure that i'll just get a dual 2.3 with a decent monitor (still contemplating apple cinema display or dell 30"). The student discounts are actually pretty decent so if all goes to plan i should have one in about three weeks (with shipping). Cant wait! Oh yes, uni started today so that has given me a bit of a 'hurry up' on getting the new mac. Thanks again everyone =]

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2006, 01:53 PM

Yeah! The dual 2.3 is best. The difference between the specs on the dell and apple screens isn't so much (apple tends to be more conservative in reporting specs). Personally, I'd go dual screen, and non-apple. Maybe Sony, Philips, LG or Samsung... But go to some stores and check them out for yourself. If you are going to be staring at the same screen for 2-3 years, you want a good one.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 08:11 PM

Dell Monitors are great. I bought the 24" for my Quad and I love it. I have a Dell 24" screen at work since about 6 months and I have nothing wrong to say. It has VGA, DVI, Component, Composite and S-Video inputs. It does PiP and it also rotates at a 90 degree angle. I got all that for $959 CDN, just a little than $400 CDN less than an Apple 23" Cinema Display. You chould check out the new models Dell is introducing. A 27" (same resolution as a 30") for a very decent price.

I would never buy an other computer than a Mac, but now way I'm getting charge too much for a monitor.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2006, 11:59 PM

With all the Mac Intel benchmarks, I would say hold off for as long as you can.

Forum Links
Forum Rules