Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Picking up a used Power Mac G5

Picking up a used Power Mac G5
mikochu
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 12:30 AM

Hey folks,

My sister's fiance bought a used Power Mac G5 from Sam Ash (music store). Apparently it is a demo. I think it's either a DP 1.8 or 2.0. They live 4 hours away, so I'm going to pick it up for them. My sister told me it has already been taken into Apple for repair. Other than cosmetic flaws, what else should I look for? If I am able to boot it up, are there any tests I can run on it before I deliver it to my sister this weekend? I can pop some apps on my usb drive if I need to...

Thanks
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 01:10 AM

Apple Hardware Test is always a good one... memtest too.

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 01:53 PM

Hopefully the AHT cd comes with the computer. They said I can test it over at the store before I bring it home. We'll see...

Thanks Mark.
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 09:43 AM

Hey folks,

I got the Power Mac... It's missing all the software discs. Apparently someone bought it with a DigiDesign (Pro Tools?) setup at Sam Ash. It had video problems, so they returned it. The people at Sam Ash sent it into Apple for repair. By the time they got it back, the resale value went down (because of G5 DCs and such...or something). They sold it to my sister for cheaper... Anyone know what the best way to get the software discs is? If Apple doesn't give out freebies, does anyone know how much they are?

Thanks

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 10:47 AM

You would buy the Tiger discs at an Apple retailer or talk to Sam Ash and say "hey,
this is missing the software discs, cough up".

What speed is the power mac? You'll want to make sure it has some kind of Applecare
warranty because if it dies the parts can be rather expensive.

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 06:17 PM

It's a M9747LL/A Power Mac G5. Dual Proc 2.0ghz, 512mb RAM and a 160gb HD...no BT or Airport. I think it's a steal for $999 +tax. So if I buy the retail version of Tiger, they'll be set? Drivers and such are included? They just won't have any of the bundled/useless software? If that's the case, awesome. If someone can give me the heads up, that'd be great.

Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 06:22 PM

Yeah, that is a steal as long as it's in working order. The only thing you'd be lacking in buying Tiger and not having the original discs is some bundled software (which is probably already installed) and the Hardware Test CD.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Leonis
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 06:32 PM

999 sounds pretty good even the CDs are missing
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Yeah, that is a steal as long as it's in working order. The only thing you'd be lacking in buying Tiger and not having the original discs is some bundled software (which is probably already installed) and the Hardware Test CD.
What do you mean by that?

I just got back from campus... Bought Tiger and a pair of EarThumps (for my little sister). I am now broke until my older sister reimburses me for Tiger. I'll just hold the Power Mac hostage.

Thanks folks!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by mikochu
What do you mean by that?
You won't get a few minor "Pro-bundle" (mostly registered shareware apps), and you won't get iLife (iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto). That's about it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 07:38 PM

Oh...like Graphics Converter and...that's it? lol

If it's still under warranty, can they still purchase AppleCare? I'm not sure how it will work since they bought it used...but from a certified Apple reseller... *shrug*

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 07:46 PM

GraphicConverter, exactly. And the version bundled with my G5 didn't even save files properly.

You should still be able to get AppleCare. You could look at its warranty status by putting its serial number in at http://apple.com/support/ or by calling AppleCare service at (800) 275-2273.

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2006, 01:30 PM

You can probably get AHT from apple or an nice apple service tech. Apple gives it free to their techs and repair centres.

Also, check out eBay. The disks come up for cheap on eBay, much cheaper than retail disk sets.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules