Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Best Photo Browser?

Best Photo Browser?
VX4c90uu22-.01
Jun 1, 2003, 06:43 PM

Hi there.

I need a simple picture viewer similar to ACDSee on the PC. I want to be able to browse through different folders, maybe do a slide show.

I organize all of my photos in directories, so I am not interested in using iPhoto.

Help!!!

VX

Patrick
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 10:03 PM

Take a look at GraphicConverter. It has both features you mentioned.

m4rtin
Jun 2, 2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by VX4c90uu22-.01:
Hi there.

I need a simple picture viewer similar to ACDSee on the PC. I want to be able to browse through different folders, maybe do a slide show.

I organize all of my photos in directories, so I am not interested in using iPhoto.

Help!!!

VX
iview media pro

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 12:06 AM

Photoshop--->Browse.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 12:13 AM

Yeah, both iView and Photoshop are nice for looking. Photoshop elements is only $99, and has the browse feature

VX4c90uu22-.01  (op)
Jun 2, 2003, 06:49 AM

I tried Graphic Converter...it seemed really great until I looked at my icons in the finder for the specific photos I browsed...GC changed them all to low res icons with dog ears!!! All that work creating my custom 128x128 icons is now useless!

I am wondering what other changes GC made to my files (EXIF, Color, etc etc). Not sure if I trust that program now!!!

I do have Photoshop, the browser is OK, but I need to have a slide show option so I can see larger photos, and flip through them quickly.

thanks for your feedback, keep it coming!

VX

bens1901
Jun 2, 2003, 11:07 AM

A few years back I used JPEGview. I don't know if it's still around today.

VX4c90uu22-.01  (op)
Jun 2, 2003, 10:08 PM

I tried iView...it seems pretty good. the only drawback is that you can't "browse", you have to "import".

keep the suggestions coming!

VX

Patrick
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 10:57 PM

I tried Graphic Converter...it seemed really great until I looked at my icons in the finder for the specific photos I browsed...GC changed them all to low res icons with dog ears!!! All that work creating my custom 128x128 icons is now useless!
Crap... I totally forgot about that. Sorry, I hope I didn't screw you up too bad. I'm actually kind of surprised it would overwrite custom icons that were already there.

That's all it changes, though. I've had the preview thing turned off for a while now, which is why I forgot to mention it. Yeah, now I remember thinking "what the f**k?" when it first gave me all those preview icons. It can be turned off in the Preferences section.

EDIT: wait, it might have also changed the file creator to GraphicConverter (so it would open in that app). That's another preference that I have turned off. It's a simple fix - just use an application like File Buddy to change it back to the one you were using.
( Last edited by Patrick; Jun 2, 2003 at 11:02 PM. )

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 07:57 PM

I'm putting forth another vote for iView as well. I use it currently to preview and organize about 9000+ photos in 2 or 3 separate galleries. True, it doesn't browse straight up, just import, but you just have to drop the folder on iview and away it goes importing. Graphic Converter is pretty good too though, from what I hear... use whatever works best for you.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

VX4c90uu22-.01  (op)
Jun 4, 2003, 06:29 PM

yeah, iView seems to be pretty good. I need to really explore it a little more.

I am surprised that there isn't an ACDSee type solution for the MAC, even though ACDSee is buggy as heck on the PC.

VX

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 07:27 PM

yeah, iView seems to be pretty good. I need to really explore it a little more.

I am surprised that there isn't an ACDSee type solution for the MAC, even though ACDSee is buggy as heck on the PC.

VX
how does the mac version of ACDSee work? one of the staffers upstairs uses it a lot, she seems to like it.

VX4c90uu22-.01  (op)
Jun 5, 2003, 06:41 AM

I went to ACDSee's website and downloaded the OSX version, but it opened up in Classic mode. Classic mode is a non starter as far as I am concerned...

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2003, 12:34 PM

I went to ACDSee's website and downloaded the OSX version, but it opened up in Classic mode. Classic mode is a non starter as far as I am concerned...
Yeah, you're right, the girls at work use it in OS9 now that I think about it... shoot. Well, I guess that's another reason for me to keep on using iView cheers...

VX4c90uu22-.01  (op)
Mar 18, 2006, 09:35 PM

I recently bought Photoshop Elements 4.0

It has a program called Bridge which allows you to browse your files in the folders they are stored...you don't have to import them like in iPhoto.

Bridge has a really good slideshow and allows you to change the size of the thumbnails. Its really fast too.

The only thing it doesn't do is show quicktime movies.

I highly recommend this, at $89 its completely worth it.

Compare this to ACDSee on the PC, but much better and more stable.

VX

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2006, 10:03 PM

It may be more than you need, but I've been using Photo Mechanic for years. You can download a 20 day trial. Well worth a look.

chirpy22
Mar 22, 2006, 11:57 PM

chirpy22
Mar 22, 2006, 11:59 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules