Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > is anyone getting the lowest end macbook?

is anyone getting the lowest end macbook?
MacMiniMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 11:06 PM

only reason that imconsidering the low end besides savin afew bucks is the superdrive is soo weak. why not just get a external 16x DL superdrive. Anyone else gettin the low end model?

Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 11:11 PM

I'm contemplating it to offset the cost of Applecare, Canadian PST + GST, a 100GB HD and 2GB of RAM...

I'd give up a DVD-R for that... and I have another desktop anyways. I'll just be using the Macbook a lot more

masugu
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 11:16 PM

Whenever I have gotten the low end, or cheaped out somewhat on PCs, I regret it. With my new BlacBook, I got the 80 gig model thinking I would buy a bigger drive later. If only the MacBook Pros were smaller / came in Black....
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 11:31 PM

It's a very pricey option to go for a Blackbook... I'll decide on Saturday whether the differences are significant.

MacMiniMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 11:36 PM

just got back from the apple store and saw the black and white im leanig torward the white dont get me wrong the black was beautiful but the white got my attention guess it was the white on white and the lit up apple on the back of the white macbook which the blackbook does not have im goin with white.

playtech1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 11:38 PM

I got the "low end" MacBook since I store all my music/movies/shows on my PC, I'm in college, and I can get a 300gb drive and a DVD burner in the PC for about $200. I am also running the 512mb of ram right now until I pay it off and get settled in my new apartment. Even with the low ram this computer is really quick and runs well with Adium, Azureus, and Firefox going.

money69
Jun 7, 2006, 11:59 PM

I got the low end one and used the $50 i saved from the student discount to upgrade to a 80gig HD. I would have got the middle model had there been a DL superdrive, a single layer is useless to me. I stuck 2gig of ram in it from omni and I am more than happy with it.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 8, 2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by MacMiniMan
just got back from the apple store and saw the black and white im leanig torward the white dont get me wrong the black was beautiful but the white got my attention guess it was the white on white and the lit up apple on the back of the white macbook which the blackbook does not have im goin with white.

Whatchoo talkin' bout? Every Mac notebook has the while Apple logo on it.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

force838
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 12:20 AM

i bought the lower end white macbook in store and then upgraded with 1gig of ram i ordered from newegg. it's my first mac, and i must say i LOVE this laptop! i installed windows xp using bootcamp but i'm going to uninstall it tomorrow. i found that i just never boot into windows anymore! learning how to do everything in mac OS X is really not that hard.

i download and burn everything on my windows desktop so getting the superdrive really would've been pointless. downloading on wireless is just too finicky.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2006, 12:39 AM

The only thing that would tempt me away from the low-end model is the superdrive. The difference in speed is negligible. As long as you don't mind having a combo drive, the low-end model is a great value.

flukewurm
Jun 8, 2006, 01:11 AM

yeah. i went with the low end for the exact same reason. the superdrive in the macbooks is weak indeed. and no dual layer. you can get a FAST, DUAL LAYER 16x external for cheapish. and how often do you burn dvds on the go anyways? i guess thats the most important question one must ask themselvs. wasnt worth the $200 difference to me. no way. the amazon $999 deal is just tooooooo sweet to pass up. even WITH the hassle of backordering.

crispin14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by praxela
Even with the low ram this computer is really quick and runs well with Adium, Azureus, and Firefox going.

thanks for the download tips for a new switcher

any other must have software/downloads?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 01:45 AM

I got the low end - IMO, definatly the best value. I have a superdrive (8x DL) in my iMac should I need to burn a DVD (which I have done about 5 times during the 6 months I have had it...), the speed is perfect, I knew it would be fast enough as it is the same speed as my iMac. Maybe I should have upgraded the HD size, but I still have 30 gig free, and if I need a bigger one, its sooooo easy!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 8, 2006, 01:57 AM

The low end is by far the best value. I own a Powermac G5 and an external DVD burner so the basic model is plenty powerfull. As much as I like the Black model, I just couldn't justify the $400 premium. With the spare change I upgraded the video card in my G5 and will probably stick a gig of ram in the MB.

pbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 02:44 AM

I also got the low end model. I have an intel mini with a dvd burner so I don't need another one. Spent the money on 2GB of ram.
PB G4/1g/1G/60G/SD

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by ael719
thanks for the download tips for a new switcher

any other must have software/downloads?
The Applications forum is where you need to look:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=209787

kikkoman
Senior User
Jun 8, 2006, 07:27 AM

I got the lowend macbook too. Just depends if you really need the superdrive. I can burn DVDs on my powermac, which I rarely do anyway. I used the savings to get 2 gigs of RAM which makes a big difference IMO.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 07:43 AM

I like the sound of "2 Ghz."rather than "1.83 Ghz.", but apart from that silliness, I think the "low-end" is a rather good deal, and not very "low-end" compared to the two other configurations, as I see it. If making a DVD on the fly away from your home base isn't something you're going to be doing, then I'd pick up the low-end and get a much faster external DVD burner. For the speed and extra features (formats, "lighscribe", etc.) you might even put up with carrying it around with you if you have to.

Dr.Michael
Jun 8, 2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by MacMiniMan
only reason that imconsidering the low end besides savin afew bucks is the superdrive is soo weak. why not just get a external 16x DL superdrive. Anyone else gettin the low end model?
This is a smart decision. I also have an external 16X firewire burner and it flies compared to a crappy superdrive. The 0.17 MHz difference has only marketing reasons. Not worth to spend a buck on this. The money is better invested in RAM (remember, you need two identical sticks - thats hidden costs) and a fast hd.

If you like the white, there is no reason not to save your money.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jun 8, 2006, 08:48 AM

I'm gonna get the low-end and spend extra money on RAM. I use mostly iLife and business programs so the 1.83's speed difference to the 2.0 will be negligible.

I also have a 16X DL SuperDrive so the combo drive doesn't bother me at all. I've never really liked the slot-loaders as they always seem to fail faster than the tray loaders. So I only use the internal slot-loading optical drive only if I don't have access to my external FireWire SuperDrive.

I figure that the MacBook will be a sizable improvement from my 12" 867 Mhz PB G4 anyways (going to my sister). When the MacBook Rev. B comes out, I'll give my MacBook Rev. A 1.83 Ghz to my sister.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I got the low end - IMO, definatly the best value. I have a superdrive (8x DL) in my iMac should I need to burn a DVD (which I have done about 5 times during the 6 months I have had it...), the speed is perfect, I knew it would be fast enough as it is the same speed as my iMac. Maybe I should have upgraded the HD size, but I still have 30 gig free, and if I need a bigger one, its sooooo easy!
I was in the same situation as you. My iMac has a DVD DL burner, so no need to have one on the Macbook. I used the money i saved to put a 120GB drive in and max the RAM. That made the most sense to me.
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

Justin216
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 01:31 PM

I got the 1.83 low-end for a few reasons:

1) I already had 2GB worth of DD2 667 ram
2) I already had an 80GB 7200RPM Hitachi HD
3) I already had a Lacie FW DVD+-R 16x Burner

So, it made little sense to pay extra for stuff I already had.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 02:14 PM

The thing I like is that the "low end" MacBook really isn't low end... its an amazing machine! I do admit, however, that a laptop, even of this value, should come as default with a DVD writer - there are barely any laptops on the market now with just CD-RWs
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 02:42 PM

I think Apple is waiting til they have Blu-ray burners in at least some Macs before they put DVD writing in every Mac. My prediction: every line's post-WWDC update will put a SuperDrive in the entry model, with the possible exception of XServe and (if there is one) an edu-only Mac.

nickw311
Senior User
Jun 8, 2006, 03:18 PM

I got the 2.0 model because I wanted the DVD burner.
27" iMac C2D

ravinderch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 03:50 PM

I've just ordered the low end one because I know i don't burn many DVD's. Assuming I can create the ISOs on the Mac, I'll just burn then on the PC.
The £150 increase in price just doesn't justify the costs, especially for a single layer DVDR. After reading various forums I've already ordered 2GB of ram - much better value for money.

(Now just blow cash on WF sleeve etc!)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2006, 03:54 PM

If I didn't want the SuperDrive, I wouldn't give it a second thought and go for the 'low-end'. It's a very fast notebook for a mere $1099.
•

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2006, 04:26 PM

The thing is that the "low-end" (cheapest consumer notebook) and the "high-end" (the most expensive pro notebook) are the closest they've ever been. The only major differences now are screen size and graphics card. In the past, the low-end iBooks were pretty crappy, if you ask me.

cornwallstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 04:42 PM

If I was buying a notebook to be used aboard a small cruising sailboat or in a small RV, for its space and power savings, I'd want at least the slow, single-layer DVD burner inside the MacBook, mainly for data backup. Yeah, it would require a little managing of data to make it fit and utilize a single-layer DVD, but not nearly that of trying to segment it to fit on CDs.

While some may have dorm rooms that small, I think that if possible, I'd go with the 1.83, with either a faster external DL DVD burner, or a gaming PC with one in it. The difference in cpu speed is a non-issue for me.

ravinderch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by miniMoe
If I was buying a notebook to be used aboard a small cruising sailboat or in a small RV, for its space and power savings, I'd want at least the slow, single-layer DVD burner inside the MacBook, mainly for data backup. Yeah, it would require a little managing of data to make it fit and utilize a single-layer DVD, but not nearly that of trying to segment it to fit on CDs.

While some may have dorm rooms that small, I think that if possible, I'd go with the 1.83, with either a faster external DL DVD burner, or a gaming PC with one in it. The difference in cpu speed is a non-issue for me.
For backup I would rather use a ipod or usbstick. Easier to keep update with any important changes etc.
In complete agreement wrt to cpu speed-difference - it'a non issue, as all MacBook seem to throttle down to 1.5Mhz anyway.

cornwallstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 05:39 PM

There's nothing wrong with using rewritable media for backup as long as you have lots of them (ipods and flash drives). Using only one would be like having a tape drive with only one tape in the tape library. I guess it also depends on how valuable your data is to you.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2006, 09:58 PM

Low-end for me too. Didn't need a DVD writer. Upgraded the RAM & hard drive immediately after purchase.

Alcoholica
Jun 9, 2006, 04:10 AM

I got the low end too. Figured I'd end up upgrading the RAM and HDD anyway, the SDs are crap, and I really don't need to pay extra for .17GHz.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2006, 12:04 PM

This is a heartening thread

I use Final Cut Studio a lot, so of course what I really want is a MacBook Pro to run Motion. But while I'm trying to get my freelance earnings to take off and I've got a crossgrade of FCP sitting here, I'm really eager to get an Intel machine.

I'm wondering if I can 'make do' with the low-end MacBook while I wait for Merom MBPs to show up, and just settle for using Motion on my old Dual G4.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 12:14 PM

Motion works fine on my MacBook....

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Motion works fine on my MacBook....
Whoa

So it does, I've just been reading these benchmarks.

My bad, I just assumed that Motion wouldn't run without a dedicated GPU.

Those benchmarks are actually pretty amazing. That settles it, I have to get one of these beauties!

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 12:30 PM

Don't get too excited about Motion. Those Creative Mac benchies are for rendering only. While Motion does indeed run; its real time playback is considerably poor. Loading up one of the templates I only get 8fps on average playback. Now that is with 512 ram. I assume I'll see an increase in fps with more ram however Motion relies heavily on the GPU so don't expect anyhwere near 30fps. Again there is a reason to get the MBP if you use Motion heavily for work.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2006, 03:17 PM

Point taken, and I would love to get a MBP if budget allowed.

But the ability to run Motion at all on a laptop would be a major advance for me compared to my old Ti 867. Most of my work is straight FCP anyway, and it sounds like the render speeds for that are pretty good. I don't really see the MacBook as a desktop replacement, but it would allow me to do the odd bit of serious work off-site and seems like very good value for the money.

Like I say, it should keep me happy until the Merom MBPs get here

axonal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 04:41 PM

I have the low end, since an iMac takes care of the DVD burning. It's a great Mac so far.

olejuul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 01:39 AM

Just bought a refreshed low end macbook for $989 from the Apple Store. Very impressed so far and I haven't yet received my 2gb of ram. Coming from a 12 inch powerbook, this thing feels quick, sturdy and the screen is impressive. Also, I am picking up a boatload of wireless connections from the neighborhood. I wasn't planning to part with my powerbook just yet, but for less than a grand, this was too good to pass up. If you want to save a few dollars, you might ask your local Apple Store if they have any refreshed macbooks.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2006, 01:47 AM

Count me in as another person likely to go for the low-end system and upgrade the RAM and hdd after the fact.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2006, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by zurfer
Just bought a refreshed low end macbook for $989 from the Apple Store.
Kind of makes you wonder where it came from, since they just came out such a short time ago. Perhaps open box returns or the like? Maybe from someone who returned 1 or 2 or 12 MacBooks?

olejuul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Kind of makes you wonder where it came from, since they just came out such a short time ago. Perhaps open box returns or the like? Maybe from someone who returned 1 or 2 or 12 MacBooks?
The note on the macbook box stated the previous customer wanted a superdrive so he returned it and bought a $1299 model instead. The Apple Store employee was going to throw out the note but I asked if I could read it first. I have bought many refurbished and refreshed Apple products (powerbooks, powermacs, ipods, displays) and have had not a single disappointment yet. Knock on wood.

Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 09:26 AM

I agree with most of the others. The main difference is the superdrive. I was really tempted to go with the middle model just because it wasn't the cheap one, but after really looking at them and asking myself if I needed the ability to burn DVD's on the road I decided the lowend model was the way to go. I purchased the lowend model last week and have been using since and love it. From my experience so far, buy the lowend one, use the extra money to buy an external drive DVDRW (much faster than the 4X superdrive) and either 1GB or 2GB of RAM.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB
MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GB
iPhone 8GB

nickname
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 11:03 AM

How much is an external DVD write drive, anyway? (around how much) and how would it connect it?

flukewurm
Jun 10, 2006, 11:53 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106011

$80.
firewire (or in this case) usb 2.0.

Leonis
Senior User
Jun 10, 2006, 01:01 PM

I got mine yesterday. Also a low-end model.

I don't need superdrive as my two G5s have and I have one extra external one anyway.

Burning DVDs with an already hot enough MacBook will make things worse.....I think
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:10 PM

I got a MacBook today! 2.0ghz with Superdrive...

I decided for the mid-range one for resale value and to skip the harddrive upgrade for the time being. I have 700GB in my desktop anyways

By the way I have zero problems with this machine... build quality is fine, screen is perfect and its fast with the stock 512MB RAM. 2GB is on the way though...

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2006, 09:55 AM

"Also, I am picking up a boatload of wireless connections from the neighborhood."

Me too. I don't live in an apartment. I live in a house on the corner (so no other houses on one side). And I pick up nine! I went to the beach this weekend and picked up five!

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2006, 10:05 AM

I bought the low end. The price is a lot nicer and the speed is virtually the same in benchmarks. I have a superdrive on my desktop (which I never really use) so I didn't mind losing that. I might have gone with a 2.0 if the superdrive was a $100 delete option but as it stands the slight speed boost isn't worth the extra price and the black is a terrible value.

Forum Links
Forum Rules