Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Buy My iMac now?

Buy My iMac now? (Page 2)
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Hey, he said he was gone Don't bring him back, please...
Hey listen to slugslugslug don't make me come back! Jeez!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 09:25 PM

Anyone think they will release a speed bumped imac before september? I know all they can do is 2.16 but still, better than 2.0, plus they could update other hardware components (faster superdrive, add a tv tuner perhaps?).

I'm thinking about buying one next month, that's why I ask if it's even remotely possible.

Of course, my 'hackintosh' could last me for awhile. But still, I want a real mac
( Last edited by kmkkid; Jun 8, 2006 at 09:33 PM. )

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 12:44 AM

So, when's the next Apple event? WWDC in August? Or is there something happening in July? I miss MWNY.

jl15  (op)
Jun 13, 2006, 08:03 AM

Hey all.....

i would like to thank you all in helping me in making a decision in buying my mac.

I have finally bought my mac, infact I am typing this forum from her, and she is beautiul.

Thanx again guys....

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 02:26 PM

Darn, he's gone.. I would have loved to know what he thought about his iMac.. and why he chose not wait?? I'm in the same boat.. Apple already has my order for my 20" iMac, just waiting on the cc to arrive. But now having second thoughts because of the so-called rumors of a new iMac coming soon. I thought that when you buy Apple, your system was good for months.. Unlike the PC I bought last Sept.... got it home.. opened the box, set it up, logged on.. and found out it was already replaced with a new line from HP. Funny, not even 5 hours old..

I guess Apple will be doing the same practice, and yes money is an issue with me. I'll be paying close to 2,800.00 for my iMac so it's going to have to last for years.

And I do agree with some of what "I was the one" was saying.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by iSteve
Darn, he's gone.. I would have loved to know what he thought about his iMac.. and why he chose not wait?? I'm in the same boat.. Apple already has my order for my 20" iMac, just waiting on the cc to arrive. But now having second thoughts because of the so-called rumors of a new iMac coming soon. I thought that when you buy Apple, your system was good for months.. Unlike the PC I bought last Sept.... got it home.. opened the box, set it up, logged on.. and found out it was already replaced with a new line from HP. Funny, not even 5 hours old..

I guess Apple will be doing the same practice, and yes money is an issue with me. I'll be paying close to 2,800.00 for my iMac so it's going to have to last for years.

And I do agree with some of what "I was the one" was saying.
It's been 6 months since and update.

I'd say they're about do. Although theres really no speed bump to be had atm.

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
It's been 6 months since and update.

I'd say they're about do. Although theres really no speed bump to be had atm.
Well, there are alot of rumors I see, leading that their may be one come Sept. But from what I gather on the information highway, those rumors tend to lean toward an "educational use" computer, like the eMac.. And could only be available to schools. Plus they are due to come out with the new Mac Pros (which I guess replaces the Power Macs) So I'd guess probably about begining of the new year for a new iMac????? At least I hope so. LOL Because I don't think I can wait 3 months. Heck I'm having a hard time just waiting a few days for the Credit Card to come.

mduser63
Jun 17, 2006, 03:01 AM

I don't understand what you would have Apple (or any other company) do. Should they just never update anything? There are always going to be people that buy machines right before new ones come out. Who cares? I bought a new iMac last night knowing full-well that there's a good chance they'll be updated in the next few months. It's not like mine will spontaneously combust the day the new ones are released. It'll still be a perfectly capable, fast machine and I will have been able to use it for months that I otherwise wouldn't have had a nice desktop.

If you had bought an iMac in January, it would be 5 months old now, but you waited until June. How can you complain when Apple updates them again in a few months?
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2006, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by mduser63
I don't understand what you would have Apple (or any other company) do. Should they just never update anything? There are always going to be people that buy machines right before new ones come out. Who cares? I bought a new iMac last night knowing full-well that there's a good chance they'll be updated in the next few months. It's not like mine will spontaneously combust the day the new ones are released. It'll still be a perfectly capable, fast machine and I will have been able to use it for months that I otherwise wouldn't have had a nice desktop.

If you had bought an iMac in January, it would be 5 months old now, but you waited until June. How can you complain when Apple updates them again in a few months?
I think because Apple's hardware is harder to upgrade. At least with my Dell, I knew that I could catch up with any new technology by upgrading the parts myselft instead of spending another $2000+ on a new machine. Which is what I'll probably end up doing in the future with my MacBook

I think I read that you can upgrade the processor on iMac's and Mac Mini's, is this true? If so, awesome!
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 06:10 AM

Yeh, both the Mini and the iMac have socketted CPUs. This is a real advantage to the mini, as there isn't an awful lot to do to get to the CPU. However, in the iMac, the process is much harder, as it requires the LCD be taken off. Personally, if I had a mini, I would happily replace my processor when the Core 2 Duos come out, however I will not be attempting such a thing on my iMac
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

dale
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 04:31 AM

Are you a UK buyer??

Just noticed a price drop on Apple's web site:

Mac Mini - starting from £399
iMac - £879 and £1129
MacBook - £749
MB Pro - £1399

I bought a 20" iMac in Feb, this is £100 ($150 US) cheaper!!

Maybe newer models are just over the horizon!

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 07:59 AM

Buy the damn iMac CD and sell it after a year or so and upgrade if you wish. Besides who knows..the next product cycle may be so full of bugs that you will hate it.

Rumors should not interfere with your decisions, YOU should decide based on what you want to do with the machine!

The 20" iMac CD is awesome btw.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 08:13 AM

The OP already got one. See page 1.

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by dale
Are you a UK buyer??

Just noticed a price drop on Apple's web site:

Mac Mini - starting from £399
iMac - £879 and £1129
MacBook - £749
MB Pro - £1399

I bought a 20" iMac in Feb, this is £100 ($150 US) cheaper!!

Maybe newer models are just over the horizon!
As of today 6/19/2006, Apple's US web-site prices are still the same.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 12:44 PM

As of today 6/19/2006, Apple's US web-site prices are still the same.
And no doubt they will stay the same. Apple prices out of the US (especially the UK) have always been quite a bit higher than the US prices (even if you take into account VAT). So Apple are probably just evening out the prices - finally!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2006, 09:40 PM

I am going to wait till the Core 2 Duo shows up, hopefully there will be a black one

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Bosell
I am going to wait till the Core 2 Duo shows up, hopefully there will be a black one
I'm not waiting due to the information I've been reading on the internet. It could be months, and then as above.. could be worse or no improvements. Anywho.. even if they do.. it gives me something else to save my money for.

I'll be order the system listed below on Wednesday, and shipped express. So hopefully I'll have it by the end of this week towards the middle of next.

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 07:26 AM

why would they update the imac of all things? They've still got another iteration of the Powermac, and iPod to be worked on right now I doubt they'd update a new system so soon.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 09:22 AM

They bumped the processors on the MacBook Pro, which was introduced at the same time as the iMac, but shipped later. The iMac is now ~5 months old, and the last 2 updates to it showed up at <5-month intervals. If Merom is pin-compatible with what's in the iMac now, it shouldn't be a big deal to drop it in the current model without changing anything else.

And the upcoming Mac Pro and iPod probably have nothing to do with the iMac's release schedule. It's not as though they totally dismantle the iMac team because they're working on another model.

Anyway, I still think now is a good time to buy an iMac if you need a computer, because the current iMacs rock. If there were strong rumors about an update, waiting would make sense. And if someone is thinking about buying a new computer but isn't suffering from a really underpowered one, I can see waiting in that case.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jun 20, 2006, 09:51 AM

it's not like the current imac is weedy or lacking anything in particular , is it ?

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by theokandroid
why would they update the imac of all things? They've still got another iteration of the Powermac, and iPod to be worked on right now I doubt they'd update a new system so soon.
That was my point a few posts up......

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2006, 04:37 PM

Apple will update the iMac whenever they see fit regardless of the status of the other products in its product portfolio. As a matter of fact, the MacBook Pro has already received such an update, going from its original announcement of 1.67GHz and 1.83GHz to 1.83GHz and 2.0GHz, then in May to 2.0GHz and 2.16GHz.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2006, 04:47 PM

Chances are Apple wont update the iMac to 2.16Ghz, simply because then it sinks into the current 'pro' market of the MacBook Pro. So I'm betting on at least september now. I'm just going to buy mine fist thing in july when the Ontario taxes drop %1, and the recent $100 price drop on the iMac makes that time frame all the more sweeter.

brokenbells
Jun 21, 2006, 07:02 AM

Darn, he's gone.. I would have loved to know what he thought about his iMac.. and why he chose not wait?? I'm in the same boat..
Well the reason i bought my mac finally....is that the next upgrade will not possibly provide a "major" upgrade per say, and observing the the chips intel is next releasing, there is not much a performance boost. Moreover as discussed in these forums, if the machine is already close to perfection then why wait, and not indulge

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by brokenbells
Well the reason i bought my mac finally....is that the next upgrade will not possibly provide a "major" upgrade per say, and observing the the chips intel is next releasing, there is not much a performance boost. Moreover as discussed in these forums, if the machine is already close to perfection then why wait, and not indulge
Well, I'm on pins and needles now, waiting for Apple to call me back so that I can get this order placed. Plus, I'm trying to figure what else to get with it. My Epson printer that I had for the PC will work the Mac, I just need get ink, so I think getting a new printer is out of the questions, and the iPods are looking really delectible.

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2006, 01:48 PM

Well, I just had to call Apple and my rep wasn't in so I said.. I'm placing the order now, I can't wait. So the order is placed. So hopefully in 8 days or less, I'll be a Mac user.

brokenbells
Jun 22, 2006, 06:10 AM

Well, I just had to call Apple and my rep wasn't in so I said.. I'm placing the order now, I can't wait. So the order is placed. So hopefully in 8 days or less, I'll be a Mac user.
Now its my turn to say ..... Welcome To The Fold
Vikram
-------
Dont worry that today is the last day of the world, its already tomorrow in Australia....

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 08:29 AM

Oh damn. Had I caught this yesterday, iSteve, I would've pointed out that Apple has a printer promo now where you get $100 off a printer when bought with a Mac. Since that winds up meaning free with many models, it probably would've been worth getting, even though you already have one. You could give it to a friend or just have a backup in case the Epson breaks.

But it's too late now. The important thing is, You're Having a Baby, er iMac!

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Oh damn. Had I caught this yesterday, iSteve, I would've pointed out that Apple has a printer promo now where you get $100 off a printer when bought with a Mac. Since that winds up meaning free with many models, it probably would've been worth getting, even though you already have one. You could give it to a friend or just have a backup in case the Epson breaks.

But it's too late now. The important thing is, You're Having a Baby, er iMac!
Thanks brokenbells. I just hope it arrives soon.

slugslugslug: Thanks, yea, the apple rep told me about it. My original plans was to go with an HP all in one for 99.95, but opted out at the last minute to get the .mac software. I will most likely just get a printer at Wally Mart.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2006, 04:15 AM

Just ordered my 20" yesterday, should be here in a day or two as I got express air from futureshop It's the standard config, so I need to buy more RAM, anyone have suggestions for cheap RAM in Canada? I just want a 1 GB stick

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2006, 05:55 PM

So, anyone know of cheap RAM for the iMac in Canada? I'd like it asap, cause it's going to be delivered tomorrow!

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2006, 01:12 PM

Once Conroe and Merom are released, their pricing will be about equal to the current Yonah (core duo) pricing. Actually it might even be a bit cheaper at the slow speeds people are buying at. I would'nt be suprised if Apple shifted imacs over very quickly. The only reason they would not is Intel can't supply enough processors for use in the new Mac Pro's (or whatever they are called) and Macbook Pro's.

Another possible target for upgrading is the hardisk sizes. Prices have recently dropped enough that they could probably raise the basic models disk to 250GB and the 20" to 300GB.

All in all the upgrade is small enough (and still not certain) that anybody needing a machine now can just as well get one right away. My home desktop (400mhz G4) is starting to really feel annoyingly slow when trying to edit pictures, but I'm not in so bad need that I would not take the risk and wait (anyway, who needs a computer during summertime).

Forum Links
Forum Rules