Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 24" iMac as TV replacement - How do I connect my consoles?

24" iMac as TV replacement - How do I connect my consoles?
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 09:21 PM

OK, so there are a few threads regarding connecting consoles to apple displays over in Peripherals, but they almost all revolve around PCI-cards in PowerMacs.

I want a 24" iMac instead of a TV. I don't need a TV in particular, we've been getting along fine with my 20" iMac G5 watching DVDs and downloaded TV-series so far, for the last six months or so. But I would really like to connect my GameCube and PS2, which is now gathering dust, to it.

So what I'm looking for is an easy way to connect them (I have a switchbox already, so they can both be on a single input), both with video and sound to the computer. I don't want to fiddle around with cables everytime I want a quick party game or what not. I have been looking at the ElGato and Formac devices, but they all seem to have video input only.

Also lag is of concern of course, being that it will be mainly for gaming and not as much TV (though that would be a bonus).

Anyone ever do anything like this with an iMac before?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 10:44 PM

eyeTV (or another type of USB/FW converter) could probably do it, but only as a TV. Trying to use it as a display for an Xbox or other console will probably result in a time-delay that will make the game unplayable. I think this is the problem of any computer being used as a display where the display is not independent.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 10:47 PM

According to Elgato, the delay is just a few milliseconds, and it works fine for games. The main issue would be that EyeTV only supports composite or S-Video, not component cables.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 10:53 PM

Composite or S-video will probably do it for now with the current generation, but for HD consoles I might be fscked.

Any recommended EyeTV device (I presume I need the bigger box)?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 10:54 PM

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 11:07 PM

This looks to fit the bill:
Elgato Systems

Thanks the glassman!

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Sep 7, 2006, 01:22 AM

i've been using the eyetv dtt for the last 9 months and it's been incredible

reliable , excellent picture and sound

and now with the integration of the white apple remote into the eye tv 2 software , it's like having your very own mac television

i highly recommend elgato

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2006, 04:10 AM

I'm curious about trying the EyeTV Hybrid. I currently own an EyeTV USB Wonder 2.0 and it works ok with my eMac. It only connects via S-Video and Composite, so the graphics isn't going to really impress, but as I only have a PS2 to use it with, it doesn't really bother me much. There's a tiny, tiny delay that's noticeable only to the hardcore.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2006, 01:24 PM

I was curious about that hybrid. Does it allow digital cable to be hooked up to it? Or is it OTA only?
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2006, 03:00 PM

wow...that hybrid looks AWESOME. i think its time for me to look into one of these bad boys .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
OK, so there are a few threads regarding connecting consoles to apple displays over in Peripherals, but they almost all revolve around PCI-cards in PowerMacs.

I want a 24" iMac instead of a TV. I don't need a TV in particular, we've been getting along fine with my 20" iMac G5 watching DVDs and downloaded TV-series so far, for the last six months or so. But I would really like to connect my GameCube and PS2, which is now gathering dust, to it.

So what I'm looking for is an easy way to connect them (I have a switchbox already, so they can both be on a single input), both with video and sound to the computer. I don't want to fiddle around with cables everytime I want a quick party game or what not. I have been looking at the ElGato and Formac devices, but they all seem to have video input only.

Also lag is of concern of course, being that it will be mainly for gaming and not as much TV (though that would be a bonus).

Anyone ever do anything like this with an iMac before?
Where do you download your TV series from legally in Australia?

Wolvin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2006, 09:55 AM

Hey Folks, I'm reading this with interest but I'm lost. What exactly does EyeTV do, and which of their devices is best if I want to do the following:

I just ordered a 2.16, 24" iMac with 2GB of RAM, 500GB Drive, and the NVIDIA 7600GT 256MB. I'd like to use the EyeTV as a PVR to record shows I like, store those in the computer (although not forever or for long periods of time), and of course, I'd like to take a few things (like news coverage) and burn it to DVD to bring to my class.

When I visit Elgato they don't have a clear layman's explanation of just what it does and how. Would it be easier and better to get a basic dual tuner Tivo and forget the hassle of trying to connect to the iMac?

Thanks for your thoughts here,

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 11:52 AM

The EyeTV does have some PVR features including a EPG, although you would have to use a third party solution (eg Toast) to burn the shows on to DVD's. However you would only have ONE tuner so you couldn't watch one channel while recording something else.
The Tivo is a better solution as the EPG has more features (such as the series link's etc) also with multiple tuners you can view one channel while recording another.

That said the Eye TV is a great device (it doesn't like the Mac being put to sleep though, as it looses the picture when the Mac awakes?) I have one for a while so I can use my 20" imac as a TV.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Sep 8, 2006 at 12:00 PM. )

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 05:43 PM

Wow the EyeTV stuff sure has come down in price, and gone up in portability and space saving and features.

Sweet stuff.

-Owl

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2006, 10:51 AM

The lag introduced by nearly all of the tv tuners/video input boxes is going to make many (most?) games unplayable.

mduser63
Sep 9, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
The lag introduced by nearly all of the tv tuners/video input boxes is going to make many (most?) games unplayable.
As stated earlier, Elgato specifically and very prominitely advertises that the new EyeTV Hybrid, as well as the EyeTV 250 allow you to hook game consoles to your Mac. Latency is stated to be zero on the main product page, while a more detailed explanation in the FAQ says that it is a few milliseconds.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 15, 2006, 11:53 AM

I'm led to believe the zero latency is an added benefit of relying on the computer itself to do encoding. Ptoducts with their own built-in encoder (larger and more costly, but don't need such a fast Mac) have the lag, apparently.
nagromme

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by nagromme
I'm led to believe the zero latency is an added benefit of relying on the computer itself to do encoding. Ptoducts with their own built-in encoder (larger and more costly, but don't need such a fast Mac) have the lag, apparently.
The game-mode bypasses the encoder and just displays the raw video signal on screen.

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 15, 2006, 09:18 PM

Right, but I think that's possible only because the computer itself is handling the signal, rather than the external box.
nagromme

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8
Where do you download your TV series from legally in Australia?
Legally?

TV-series are a grey area for sure. But in the wait for legal on-demand international downloads (never going to happen in my lifetime), I have no qualms about downloading stuff I either can't get on DVD or on TV down here (say, The Colbert Report).

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by nagromme
Right, but I think that's possible only because the computer itself is handling the signal, rather than the external box.
There's no reason an external box would also be able to bypass it's own encoder and route the signal to the screen. I could achieve the same effect by connecting it to my DV-cam and displaying that signal on screen.

I think it's rather an after-thought that people actually might want to use these kinds of devices to connect consoles.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2006, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
TV-series are a grey area for sure. But in the wait for legal on-demand international downloads (never going to happen in my lifetime), I have no qualms about downloading stuff I either can't get on DVD or on TV down here (say, The Colbert Report).
Very good point. In the US you can buy TV shows and now even movies. In other places of the world it's just not possible. I really don't feel bad about downloading TV shows nobody wants to sell to me. It sucks that there's no legal alternative though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules