Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP Communications :(

HP Communications :(
zero1207
Jan 27, 2007, 06:56 PM

Every once in a while my powerbook G4 gets really really really slow. Safari takes about a minute to start up or change web pages. I opened activity monitor for the first time while it was doing it and something called "hp communications" was using 98% of my CPU?!?! wtf. My printer wasn't even plugged in. I've searched the forums and some other people have mentioned having the same problem but is there any way to fix it? Reinstall didn't work.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 07:46 PM

I think the problem is that your printer isn't plugged in. Does this problem every occur when the printer has been connected since startup?

zero1207  (op)
Jan 28, 2007, 01:39 AM

unfortunately yes, every once in a while I guess the printer software tries to mutiny the rest of the computer. Hostile takeover kind of stuff.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 08:20 AM

long time/well documented problem.......
was supposed to be fixed with the last hp driver update, but knowing HP, I have my doubts.....

cant hurt to try though
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

OreoCookie
Feb 5, 2007, 08:49 AM

Just a guess: is it an HP all-in-one?
I've installed the drivers once since my parents had one and I wanted to be able to print in color, just in case. But the software was so annoying and anal that I had to deinstall it (it would complain every time I log in that the printer wasn't connected -- not surprising since I have a mobile Mac).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cold Warrior
Feb 5, 2007, 01:04 PM

I dumped that stuff recently as well. Also made sure to delete the pieces that launched at startup.

Forum Links
Forum Rules