Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Buy MacPro 2.66 now or wait?

Buy MacPro 2.66 now or wait?
Susan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 09:43 PM

I have a G5/2.33 dual and it's a good time to sell it because there's still some Applecare on it. I'm lusting after a new machine but don't want to buy just before new models come out. I know new iMacs are expected soon. Any ideas about new MacPros?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2007, 10:33 PM

Wait. The Xeon prices drop July 29th, and the Mac Pro line is overdue for an update (both to the base config and the upgrade options).

Glenn Wolsey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 10:49 PM

I just purchased a 4-Core 2.66Ghz Mac Pro and 30" Apple Cinema Display yesterday. I had enough of waiting and decided it was now or never. Can't wait for both to land on my doorstep.

Susan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Wait. The Xeon prices drop July 29th, and the Mac Pro line is overdue for an update (both to the base config and the upgrade options).
Thanks, that's just the info I needed. Where did you find out the Xeon prices will drop on 7/29?

I'm going to wait. I almost placed my order today but then noticed that the existing MacPros are about a year old. So I figured new ones would be due soon.

Now I need to decide whether I'm going to sell my desktop now and live on my laptop for the next 1-2 months until the new models come out....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Thanks, that's just the info I needed. Where did you find out the Xeon prices will drop on 7/29?
The interweb. It was going to be the 22nd, but not too long ago they pushed it back to the 29th, so you may still see a lot of hits on that google search for the 22nd.
Intel regularly changes (reduces) prices once a quarter, but not all chip lines/chips get changed with each update. The Xeons (used in the Mac Pro) were not included in the 2nd quarter drop, but the rumors are usually very accurate for Intel price drops. Some of the Q3 prices were leaked months ago, including the $250 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo quad.

Susan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 11:58 PM

Ahhh... thanks again. And the price drop will make it into the Mac Pros when?

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 12:16 AM

hopefully right away, that is assuming that the new imacs don't come out. i think apple is now trying to stager out the times they release refreshes in product lines

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2007, 12:17 AM

susan- I really dont think that the MP will be updated till the years end. MP's are not currently Apple main thrust considering that laptops out sell desktop units combined. I'm not doggin desktops - I prefer them. Considering your G5 age and the problems people have been having with the coolant I would say to move to a cooler running MP.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2007, 08:53 AM

it will probably be another 3 months AT LEAST before there are any updates. I am trying to wait, but not sure I will be able to.

Susan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2007, 11:09 AM

I'm pretty happy with my G5 tower, it's just that Applecare will expire soon and I will get more for it if I sell it with at least a little Applecare on it. Decisions, decisions!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 11:17 AM

Why is Apple running the Mac Pro so long without an update? Hard drive and memory prices have fallen, and new video cards have come out on the market (months ago).
Are Mac Pro sales really that bad that they just don't care? It's hard to tell, since it gets lumped in with the iMac and Mac mini.

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2007, 11:17 AM

i got news for ya, it wont matter. not very many people I know of need to use apple care on a tower. my "refurb" G5 has been doing strong 24/7 for
nearly 3 years. NEVER a problem. dump it while the getting is good!

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2007, 11:26 AM

mduell - iPhone, that's why.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by 02gtstang View Post
mduell - iPhone, that's why.
The upgrades I'm suggesting require nearly no development, just like the last MacBook update. Just put more memory/disk in the base config (already being done for BTOs) and add a few more already-available options (1TB HDD, 4GB memory modules) using the same technology currently used. The drivers for the new video cards have already been written for the MBP's video card.

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 01:52 PM

Well there was an update if you consider adding 8 cores to the lineup an update.

Susan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2007, 05:18 PM

I'm still on the fence. I guess I could sell my G5 now and live on my MacBook Pro for a while until either new MPs come out or I can't stand it anymore.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 04:56 AM

On the other hand: if you just want a new machine, that's one thing. But do you really need one NOW? Your G5 tower is a great machine, and, as you said yourself, you had no trouble with it.

I guess a good buying decision is to buy it, when you need it.

If you buy it, because you just lust for a new machine, I'd recommend waiting, or you may be disappointed, when your great, new machine will soon be updated with an even greater, newer machine.

P
Jul 1, 2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The upgrades I'm suggesting require nearly no development, just like the last MacBook update.
True - just some QA and you're done. They do require something of the logistic system though - whenever there's an update, they have to flush the channel of older models to avoid big backlogs at the stores and build up a store of the newer models. The Mac Pro needs an update, but it's not urgent. They had the laptops that they wanted to get out in good time before the back-to-school season and the iPhone that they set the date for 6 months ago. Next is most likely the iMac, which is getting very long in the tooth, and then the Mac Pro.

Of course, they can change the BTO options at any time, but the default model likely isn't going to change until the iMac update has been completed.

Susan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2007, 09:15 AM

The big impetus to upgrade is that AppleCare is running out on my existing machine, and once it does the resale value drops. All your responses are helpful. THank you.

P
Jul 1, 2007, 05:56 PM

My best guess, then: We'll see an iMac update during July and a Mac Pro update towards the end of August. The update will be more or less the same as the current models with minor bumps in RAM, HD and clockspeed at existing pricepoints, along with a new standard GPU (8400?) and some more GPU options with a Radeon 2800 XT at the high end. I'd guess that the money you'd save from waiting is more than that gained from selling the G5 with Applecare left on it, but then I don't really know how much you'd gain from selling the G5 now.

Leonis
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 11:50 AM

I hate to sound frightening, but....

Last week I sold my Dual 2GHz G5 (dual processor version not dual core) that still has 18 months of applecare left, 3GB RAM.....for $1300 CAD
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 12:00 PM

???

ugh. it wont be worth 4gbs of Ram by the end of the year. hahahaha

Leonis
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 12:00 PM

The problem in my situation is that there are so many G5s listed on local craigslist.

And lots of ads listed on there were asking for like $1500 and up for similar spec and many of them were on the list for a long time and I even asked them if they have been sold or not. The answers is "They are still available"

That really scared me. Since I need the money back quite desperately I made a compromise to sell mine for $150 lower than others. Then I got TONS of inquiries.

The buyer lives so far away from my office. I was trying to be generous so I knocked off another $50 for covering gas cost.

Leonis
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 02gtstang View Post
ah. that price isn't bad for a 3yo machine. I may put mine up and see what i can get for it on craigslist. screw ebay.
Yeah, the price isn't so bad if I consider how much I paid for that. I got some decent deal when I bought that G5 18 months ago.

I didn't use eBay because the fee is getting insanely high these days.

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 12:09 PM

ah. that price isn't bad for a 3yo machine. I may put mine up and see what i can get for it on craigslist. screw ebay.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 12:44 PM

Susan, I would suggest you sell and buy a refurb mac pro provided the apps you use on the G5 run on intel macs. I picked up a refurb 2 ghz for 1999.00. Whats nice about this machine in the upgradability ( processor, ram, video and hard drives ). As for leopard, I usually don't upgrade until the first revision (10.5.1) comes out. By then, some of the kinks are fixed. Probably happen by december provided leopard ships on time in october. My guess on the new mac pros are the 1333 FSB increase and hopefully a new video card. Can't see much more than that. I plan on replacing my 2 ghz processors next year when the prices drop to the octo ( two 4 cores ).
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Susan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 11:31 PM

Thanks to all for your replies.

I'm going to wait for now.

P
Jul 3, 2007, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
My guess on the new mac pros are the 1333 FSB increase and hopefully a new video card.
The Mac Pros have had a 1333 FSB since the launch.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 11:54 AM

Whooops, my bad, your right on them having 1333 FSB.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2007, 05:46 PM

1600Mhz FSB will come with the new chips at the end of the year.

Richard Richard
Jul 4, 2007, 03:41 PM

My dad's imac has just packed up , so I'm giving him my dual core and getting a mac pro this week.

I realise there'll be new super duper updates in the not so distant future , but a quad 2.66 ghz will suit me just fine - emails , appleworks and surfing the web aren't exactly what I'd call taxing jobs for something as OTT as a Mac Pro .

Forum Links
Forum Rules