Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard-- Hotter and Louder Fan?

Snow Leopard-- Hotter and Louder Fan?
VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2009, 04:53 PM

Hey all-- I just installed SL on my macbook pro (3,1) about 12 hours ago and have noticed the fan coming on MUCH more frequently, especially when playing video (flash or iChat... doesn't seem to matter). The laptop- er, notebook- seems to be running much hotter overall too.

I've tried resetting the power manager (shutdown, remove power cord & battery, & hold power button down for 10 seconds) to no avail.

With MenuMeters broken, I'm relying on Activity Monitor to show CPU usage, and it seems that I don't get anywhere near 100% before the battery springs to life. In fact, the fan is whirring along at low RPMs over 80% idle. At about 50% idle, say playing a video on NYTimes, the fan races up..

I'm wondering if it's possible that the VIDEO CARD is heating up due to sharing the load. Maybe it doesn't cool as quickly as the CPU?

Anyone else noticing their laptops becoming a furnace under SL?

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2009, 05:29 PM

Updating w/some stats from Temperature Monitor:

CPU A Temperature Diode: 72.0°C
Graphics Processor Heatsink 1: 62.0°C
Graphics Processor Temperature D: 78°C
Main Heatsink 1: 63.0C
Wireless Module: 67.0°C

Fan going crazy. This is at 80% CPU IDLE! Watching a tiny NYTimes Video playing full screen.

Can these #s be right?!

This seems directly related to screen activity as far as I can tell, not CPU usage.

W

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2009, 06:50 PM

Maybe SL is using the GPU more which causes heat to be centralized at that point (rather than divided between GPU and CPU).

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Maybe SL is using the GPU more which causes heat to be centralized at that point (rather than divided between GPU and CPU).
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. That would be very bad if my GPU had inadequate cooling now that it's much more involved in daily usage.

Seriously, 80°C is almost 180 degrees in Fahrenheit. That's insanely hot, and a notebook should not get so bad from watching a Youtube video.

Others are reporting the same problem:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....359&tstart=255
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....600&tstart=105
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....123&tstart=180
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....ID=10062895�

I have ruled out:

VMware Fusion-- totally uninstalled & rebooted. No change
MacFuse -- same thing

Update:

Booting into "Safe" mode by holding down Shift does not seem to have improved things. The computer, freshly-logged in, without anything except for Temperature monitor still had the GPU, CPU and other temps significantly higher than in Leopard... this suggests a problem in SL or the firmware or something as opposed to a conflict with 3rd party add-ons...

If anyone could duplicate this and report results, it would be much appreciated.

W
( Last edited by VValdo; Aug 29, 2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added "safe boot" experiment..)

jay3ld
Senior User
Aug 29, 2009, 10:34 PM

I have experienced the same issue. Mine is actually on screen saver. I have the "Shell" one setup, if I run it, I hear my fans start to kick in.
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2009, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by VValdo View Post
Seriously, 80°C is almost 180 degrees in Fahrenheit. That's insanely hot, and a notebook should not get so bad from watching a Youtube video.
Why do you say that? Flash on OS X is known to cause very high load. Note also that Intel's mobile CPUs work normally all the way up to 100C. Mobile GPUs are the same. 80C is a hot chip, but it's nothing to be scared about. I agree though that Flash is a terrible resource hog on the Mac. Always has been.

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2009, 03:55 AM

Well, it's crossed the 80°C for CPU and GPU simultaneously threshhold since posting above, and my laptop was never anywhere near this hot previously. It certainly wasn't this hot when idle.

(Admittedly, today was one of the hottest days of the year and that may be affecting my perception/tolerance, but I didn't have fans kick in within 15 seconds of using iChat previously, and the bottom of the machine is almost too hot to touch from watching a simple youtube video... that's definitely new.)

I wonder if the cooling system was designed for a processing load distributed between CPU and GPU... I dunno.

W

OreoCookie
Aug 30, 2009, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by VValdo View Post
Updating w/some stats from Temperature Monitor:

CPU A Temperature Diode: 72.0°C
Graphics Processor Heatsink 1: 62.0°C
Graphics Processor Temperature D: 78°C
Main Heatsink 1: 63.0C
Wireless Module: 67.0°C

Fan going crazy. This is at 80% CPU IDLE!
The temperatures don't seem very unusual, a cpu temperature of ~70 degrees is quite normal on my first-gen 2 GHz ProBook -- under 10.5 and 10.6. Especially if it is hot outside.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2009, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The temperatures don't seem very unusual, a cpu temperature of ~70 degrees is quite normal on my first-gen 2 GHz ProBook -- under 10.5 and 10.6. Especially if it is hot outside.
There's a definite increase in heat at idle w/SL over Leopard. It's very noticeable, and I've had other Macbook pro users make the same observation w/their own computers post-install, totally unprompted. And FWIW, the apple.com discussion threads above have grown with others reporting the same issue.

That said, I have followed some advice there and reset the power manager (SMC) via instructions at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411 and will try to do the PRAM as well via instructions at Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM to see if it makes any difference.

Ambient temperature may make a fair amount difference too. Right now, post SMC-reset, it's idling at a relatively healthy 47°C with a 75°F room temperature. Earlier, during the heat of the day, it was idling w/no activity except an open browser and Temp monitoring program around ~60°C. So add a warmer room and that may account (partially?) for a hotter laptop. Or it may be due to the SMC reset... off to reset PRAM and see if it makes any difference. In any event, watching any kind of video kicked it up like crazy.

I can rule out spotlight though as being the source of the problem.

W

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2009, 02:05 PM

Any reports from Blackbook users? I have a 2.4 ghz. The fan comes on from time to time in normal use with 10.5.8.

edit: I've been doing some casual web browsing and opening up a few other apps, and it's running no hotter than normal. Kudos to Apple! Again!
( Last edited by mackandproud; Sep 3, 2009 at 01:42 AM. )

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2009, 04:55 PM

Resetting the SMC *may* have addressed at least some of the problem for me. I wish this were less subjective and didn't have so many variables... It's not blazing hot when idling now, but it's also 10 degrees cooler in the room today... (hovering around 50-56° GPU/CPU in 33° room temp) so for anyone on the fence, this may be worth giving a shot and there have been other reports of a SMC reset making a difference.

Also, menumeters now has a Snow Leopard version (beta). Also, I've discovered atMonitor, which is SL compatible, free, and shows both CPU and GPU temps and activity... highly recommended.

W

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2009, 12:48 AM

My computer seems to be running a bit warmer after SL install. Then again, it's about 20 degrees fahrenheit warmer this evening than it was last evening. So, it's a wash until the evenings cool down a bit.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2009, 01:16 AM

I wouldn't put too much stock into your CPU consumption states, as Grand Central Station is designed to help make better use of multicore processing. A load of 100% relates to the consumption of a single core, and a load average of 1 means that you are utilizing one processor as well (although there are many other variables which need to be accounted for, including disk I/O). I would try to figure out exactly what is consuming resources and what these resources are rather than worrying too much about the overall numbers.

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2009, 01:18 PM

I've done some more casual web browsing and typing up emails and so forth. The computer is running very cool, as cool if not cooler than prior to SL.

Forum Links
Forum Rules