Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Use the internal DVD drive as an external drive to reduce MacBook's weight?

Use the internal DVD drive as an external drive to reduce MacBook's weight?
derekw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2009, 08:32 PM

I really want a light MacBook Pro. Can I remove the internal DVD drive to reduce the weight, then put the internal DVD drive into a USB enclosure and use it as an external drive?
  1. If you have done this, how did you like it?
  2. Would the MacBook Pro function normally without the internal DVD drive?
  3. Any recommendation on enclosure type that works with MacBook Pro's internal DVD drive? (Do they even exist?)
  4. Would the resulting external DVD drive boot up the MacBook Pro?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2009, 02:37 AM

Yes, in principle you can do this. There are products on the market (google). The solutions aren't cheap though and you should be aware you won't feel a big difference. The empty optical drive is pretty light (roughly 200g or less than half a lb). In any event you'll want to keep all the original parts and have a good idea how to get it all back together. Otherwise in case of any issues, Apple will consider the warranty voided.

zero1207
Sep 22, 2009, 03:22 PM

Something else you might consider. While the optical drive isn't very heavy, it helps stabilize the notebook when open. When I've removed the optical drives on pre-unibody macbooks and macbook pros, it makes the screen heavier than the base of the computer, so when the screen is open and tilted at a slightly obtuse angle the laptop falls backwards because of the weight of the screen. Just something to think about. I don't know how it would affect the weight distribution in the unibodies as I haven't taken them apart.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2009, 03:35 PM

Also it throws off the balance of the laptop.

2. Yes.
3. They probably exist, but will be hard to find since it's a thinner than normal drive (9.5mm instead of 12.5mm) and slot loading (so the enclosure needs a front bezel).
4. Sure.

I'd suggest not bothering.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2009, 06:35 PM

That used to be possible with the old Pismo PowerBooks... back then, Apple even included a hollow chunk of plastic called "PowerBook Weight-Saving Device" with the machine that you could stick into the whole where the optical drive went.

Today, though, it'd be kind of a PITA to do this.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules