Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My Kingdom For A Browser

My Kingdom For A Browser
JFK2000
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 09:38 AM

I know there are a lot of things we all want/need for osx, but one of the major ones for me is a decent browser. I downloaded omniweb after internet explorer crashed while I was typing in text to post on this forum.

Well, OmniWeb from my experience is even worse than IE. I used it twice, the first time it crashed my whole system, the second time it just crashed by itself, it did bring up a dialog that allowed me to email the developers. Hopefully, they'll be able to improve on it and iron out some of the bugs.

But being unable to cut and paste and the general slowness of IE, I'm really looking for a new browser. I may try icab, although I wasn't very impressed with it on Mac OS in the past.

Any suggestions? What's your general experience? Is everybody having problems with OmniWeb?

-John
Always go to other people's funerals or they won't come to yours.

Kosmo
Senior User
Apr 10, 2001, 10:00 AM

I believe that OmniWeb is supposed to release an update browser this week that is supposed to fix a lot of bugs. I hope so since I can't use it now and IE really sucks. It's too bad that Microsoft is taking it's time with a final version of IE for X...I've been using it in 9 for some time and it's better than Netscape, then again, it's too bad Netscape just gave up.

------------------

http://www.macnet2.com

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 12:02 PM

I strongly agree. OSX needs the world's most killer browser.

OmniWeb is buggy and slow, but it's Cocoa-based which makes it the best available. It has a desperate need for speed. It handles large documents very poorly. Font size is horrible. It needs to borrow the 96dpi font trick from IE 5.0.

IE 5.1PR & iCab are unacceptable due to poor performance or missing features.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

jwardell
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 02:44 PM

Omni sucks because it ignores the cache and the font sizes are way off from what they should be, and can't be corrected. I mainly use IE5 in Classic, which works like a charm, if that can be said about any browser these days. I still like iCab, but it too crashes too much. We'll see who wins the race in a few months.

------------------
TECHrants - What's wrong with today's technology

mindwaves
Apr 10, 2001, 02:52 PM

I want:

1) Look of IE
2) Cocoa goodness of OmniWeb
3) preferences menu of iCab
4) Speed on Opera

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2001, 03:46 PM

I reinstalled (reformat, partition) OS X and used larger volume, rebind immediately. No trouble with OmniWeb. I had lots in the past. Caused by installing fc3 over fc1 and a corrupt bookmarks file in part.

Font size could be better, but 14 pt usually works. I've been sending bug, feature, suggestions, daily.

Opera, Mozilla, even iCab... they all have use and I keep IE because it is almost good enough and I can rely on it rendering pages OmniWeb won't.

I'd think the OS X update plus OmniWeb will help a lot. When I emailed OmniGroup about a problem they said I was the only person to send in a crash log and sample log output where OmniWeb would eat up 90% cpu cycles.

In the past I didn't know how to 'sample pid -1' and then send the output file to omniweb group.

Install the Dev Tools also seems to make a big difference in stability! they develop with it, to have the same environment, works. But they need to make sure that OmniWeb works w/o Dev Tools installed! I've heard others voice the same about how stability improves - and is not just a result of Dev Tools forcing an update_rebinding either.

Try it.

Gregory

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 04:40 PM

IE seems to work relatively well for me. It has crashed 2 or 3 times so far, but otherwise, it's fine. iCab lasted about 5 minutes on my Powerbook because it can't load online banking, which I need. Omniweb is slow and can't do online banking, either, but it can load another page which I need to use for the Navy.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2001, 05:02 PM

OmniWeb works OK for me, and I like the way it looks. I'm hoping the next release of iCab is more stable. I run Netscape 6 from Classic with no problem for the pages that OmniWeb can't handle. IE went to the trash long ago.

mbanks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2001, 12:26 PM

FWIW, when I'm in OSX, I use iCab. However, there are a lot of things that require me to use a Classic/9.1 browser. (Mainly https stuff - eg. banks etc.) However, I do like the promise of Mozilla (Fizilla). The latest build for OSX isn't perfect by any means, but it shows it's getting there (as compared to previous builds especially). Although Netscape 6.0 sucked, 6.1 isn't bad. If Mozilla is up to 6.1's level (features & stability) by the time the mythical 10.1 is released, that will probably be my choice. However, iCab could surprise me and fix everything too...
matt

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2001, 05:31 PM

I use iCab too, crashes sometimes and has issues with some sites but at least iCab is fast.
OmniWeb is a very beautiful one, doesn�t even crash that much on me but it�s sloooow.
IE is featureswise the most comlete browser, but hell that spinning Rainbowwheel all the time makes me just sick using IE.
Fizilla 0.81 don�t like it at all, crashes a lot, not beautiful and neither fast.

just my 2cents

bye

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 11, 2001, 06:09 PM

I use IE 5 in Classic, and it's the fastest browsing experience I've ever had. Faster in Classic than 9.1, AFAIK. The browser is also extremely polished; even 5.1 final may not be this good.

It's so fast. Wow.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules