Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Verizon DSL on mac os x

Verizon DSL on mac os x
nuerobomb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2001, 07:28 PM

Hi, I am running os x and I can not get on the internet because there is no third party support for it. I am interested if there is a way to use the internet, I have heard there is, please assist me or give me a link to another website.

<Max>
Sep 20, 2001, 08:12 PM

I use AT&T @ home(cable modem).

for broadband (DSL or Cable or better) the system pref/network control panel to setup your IP address, that's it.

I like Omniweb as a browser. Using the built in Mail app is excellent also.

OSX has support for ANY standard dial up ISP (ie not MSN or AOL).

The system include the necessary PPP and modem support to get you online if you have a slow crappy dial up.

Good Luck,
max

NickKohn
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2001, 11:14 PM

Can you elaborate more on how to setup MacOS X for internet connection using a DSL line? I am using Ameritech's DSL and the software that was included only runs in MacOS 9.x[/LIST]

cpac
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2001, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by NickKohn:
<STRONG>Can you elaborate more on how to setup MacOS X for internet connection using a DSL line? I am using Ameritech's DSL and the software that was included only runs in MacOS 9.x[/LIST]</STRONG>
While I can't say for sure about DSL, I would assume it works pretty similarly to a Cable Modem. All you need to do is go to the Network Control Panel, click on the tab for your connection type (probably ethernet), enter the information your provider gave you. Then click on the TCP/IP tab and enter the appropriate information. Probably you connect using DHCP. For ATT @ Home you just type in your DHCP client ID and then you're good to go.

The Network control panel is pretty good about giving you examples of what information needs to go into which field. As long as you have all the information from your service provider, you should be able to fill things in without too much trouble.

Hope this helps (and the guy was right about Omniweb and Mail being good apps to use -they've worked great for me!)

cpac
cpac

fitter
Senior User
Sep 21, 2001, 12:55 AM

Apple provides support for PPPoE in OS X. You don't need the software that came with the DSL package. Go to the Network preferences pane. Click on the PPPoE tab. Enter your information. That's it, for the most part. All of this is supposed to be further enhanced in 10.1.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2001, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by fitter:
<STRONG>Apple provides support for PPPoE in OS X. </STRONG>
I can vouch for this working with Verizon's PPoE DSL service.

msykes
Senior User
Sep 21, 2001, 05:50 PM

Also works for Earthlink DSL, and much better than their software ever did.

This post was not that useful, but trying to get out of the dreaded "New User" category.

:-)

msykes

Jan Van Boghout
Sep 22, 2001, 03:27 PM

Does somebody here have experiences with ADSL ? You see , I am waiting for Planet ADSL and I would like to know if anybody is already using ADSL on OS X .

Jan Van Boghout
Sep 22, 2001, 03:29 PM

Oh yeah , I almost forgot : I live in Belgium .

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2001, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
<STRONG>Does somebody here have experiences with ADSL ? You see , I am waiting for Planet ADSL and I would like to know if anybody is already using ADSL on OS X .</STRONG>
works like a charme here in germany. as posted before, just enter the data given to you by your provider in the network preferences.

besides omniweb and mail.app, i found that "network statistics", a dockling, is a nice tool. also think about security, get something like snort or portsentry or configure your firewall using brickhouse or firewalk.

<mkapes>
Sep 28, 2001, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by fitter:
<STRONG>Apple provides support for PPPoE in OS X. You don't need the software that came with the DSL package. Go to the Network preferences pane. Click on the PPPoE tab. Enter your information. That's it, for the most part. All of this is supposed to be further enhanced in 10.1.</STRONG>
One additional thing: for Verizon on parts of the East Coast at least, do not fill in the name server address. for some reason, it causes your connection ot choke.
not sure why, but removing it worked like a charm for me.
--Markos

Forum Links
Forum Rules