Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Skype on its way to OSX!

Skype on its way to OSX!
Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2004, 11:37 AM

This is what a Skype staff-member wrote :

"In response to all the requests: there WILL be a Skype version for Mac OS X. No info is publicly available about when exactly it will be out, but it's already in the works."

Looking good

Read the entry in the forum here
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
This is what a Skype staff-member wrote :

"In response to all the requests: there WILL be a Skype version for Mac OS X. No info is publicly available about when exactly it will be out, but it's already in the works."

Looking good

Read the entry in the forum here
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 12:46 PM

for those asking "what the **** is skype?" (like i was before i searched)

the webpage is http://www.skype.com/

its a program for making phonecalls via the interweb. it organizes other skype users in a buddy list type thing. looks pretty cool.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 01:57 PM

Well, are Skype's "phonecalls" better quality than iChat's?

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
for those asking "what the **** is skype?" (like i was before i searched)

the webpage is http://www.skype.com/

its a program for making phonecalls via the interweb. it organizes other skype users in a buddy list type thing. looks pretty cool.
Not phonecalls... Just voice-to-voice over the internet, calls. People might confused by the phrase 'phonecalls'.. They are working on it though, if i remember correctly..!

And video support.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2004, 02:41 PM

isnt this the new thing from the kazaa people?
*cough*dodgy*cough*

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 24, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
isnt this the new thing from the kazaa people?
*cough*dodgy*cough*
Skype Hype.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 05:44 PM

And um, so its an IM client with Audio support, my missing the IM features.

Erm.

-Owl

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 05:45 PM

Skype does not interoperate with real VOIP - it's a closed system isn't that true?
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

kupan787
Senior User
May 24, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Skype does not interoperate with real VOIP - it's a closed system isn't that true?
So how is Skype different from iChat? From the looks of it, it seems just like an instant messaging client with voice capabilities (same with iChat...)

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by kupan787:
So how is Skype different from iChat? From the looks of it, it seems just like an instant messaging client with voice capabilities (same with iChat...)
This program is ONLY for voice-calls. Nothing else! Thats how it differs. Comparing Skype to iChat, is like comparing Mail to Mozilla... (...)

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Skype Hype.
Horsepoo poo
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Mike S.
Senior User
May 24, 2004, 10:14 PM

It's main differentiator is that is utilizes Peer-to-Peer networking.

From what I've heard, which isn't that much, the audio quality is very good, some say better than land line and there is little lag.

I've never actually used it myself so I can't say what it's like from personal experience. I, for one, will welcome the product to the Mac.

I just hope it's done right because I hate seeing half-hearted attempts at software just so a company can say "we support the Mac" because that's just BS. If they're going to do something they should do it right or pay somebody that will.

brkn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 11:05 PM

Well, for a start, I can finally chat to my many PC using friends that have been nagging me about it.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 01:18 AM

Agreed. Getting iChat to work with AOL on PC was a pain in the ass...

Originally posted by brkn:
Well, for a start, I can finally chat to my many PC using friends that have been nagging me about it.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
This program is ONLY for voice-calls. Nothing else! Thats how it differs. Comparing Skype to iChat, is like comparing Mail to Mozilla... (...)
As far as I know IM is also in the program (maybe only for the Windows-version!?)

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2004, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
It's main differentiator is that is utilizes Peer-to-Peer networking.

From what I've heard, which isn't that much, the audio quality is very good, some say better than land line and there is little lag.

I've never actually used it myself so I can't say what it's like from personal experience. I, for one, will welcome the product to the Mac.

I just hope it's done right because I hate seeing half-hearted attempts at software just so a company can say "we support the Mac" because that's just BS. If they're going to do something they should do it right or pay somebody that will.
Yeah, the only thing that worked somewhat satisfying (Mac <-> Windows) was Haxial's KDX. And that my friends is (drum roll) Shareware. bloody hell.

Forum Regular
May 25, 2004, 04:08 AM

Skype is software that really does perform, the quality of sound is as good if not better than any land line. I only had a 64k ISDN connection when I tested it and the quality was nigh on perfect, so for DSL and cable it must be pretty amazing.

Lets hope the Mac version performs as well as the Windows version.

John Lockwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
I just hope it's done right because I hate seeing half-hearted attempts at software just so a company can say "we support the Mac" because that's just BS.
You mean like Microsoft?

If they're going to do something they should do it right or pay somebody that will.
You mean NOT like Microsoft?

Ho ho.

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 10:29 AM

The quality of a voice conversation on Skype is far superior to iChat AV. I've used both. And Skype lets you speak to anyone on a PC or PDA (over Wi-Fi) with Skype, not just other Mac users with iChat AV or AIM Messenger (& a web cam).

Skype does have an IM client built into their Windows public beta and I'm guessing they will include this in their beta release.

Fantastic to hear it is coming to Mac. I recommend you all try it. It's even better than phone quality, and works very well even over a dial up connection. You will be amazed.

BKB.
PBG4/12"/1GHz/1.25GB/60GB//SD/APX/10.3

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 10:35 AM

I understand they are adding a number of extras soon, for which they will charge a fee, including: answering machine, Skype to regular PSTN phones, etc. But they have said that the core PC to PC function will remain free.

absmiths
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by legacyb4:
Agreed. Getting iChat to work with AOL on PC was a pain in the ass...
I assume you are talking about video/audio? I have never had any problem chatting with PC people . . .

hiltmon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 12:16 PM

I use Skype all the time from PC to PC on cable internet between the USA and Australia. The voice quality is great and the service just works (and its cheap too ). Skype for my Mac will be just great and I encourage all of you to sign up for the beta.

absmiths
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by John Lockwood:
You mean like Microsoft?

You mean NOT like Microsoft?

Ho ho.
How does someone get registered in March of 2000 and make his first post in May of 2004???

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
How does someone get registered in March of 2000 and make his first post in May of 2004???
Hmm. Good God you're right! Maybe he has been frozen the last couple of years just like in that Demolition Man movie??? j/k And now he is learning how to knit :LOL:

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Given his track record, you are probably going to have to wait until 2008 for him to reply .

sjk
Forum Regular
May 25, 2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by hiltmon:
... I encourage all of you to sign up for the beta.
Too late for the first round. From toivo on the Skype forum:
Thanks for all the applications. Beta team is for now closed. I will notify here again when we are going to take in second wave of testers.

TorbX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2004, 10:37 AM

This thing works behind ANY firewall. Sound is superior, and you can register from within the program. Also, 5 people can chat at the same time. No lag at all. Only problem is when someone has their speakers too loud, you get the feedback effect.

And it requires very little bandwith. I've talket to people when on a modem.

It's just unique.

CYBERnard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Yeah, the only thing that worked somewhat satisfying (Mac <-> Windows) was Haxial's KDX. And that my friends is (drum roll) Shareware. bloody hell.
Hey guys, look those software. The first one is very good. Mac, Windows version... X-lite and X-pro on http://www.xten.com

X-lite : " A FREE premium SIP softphone with many PBX-like features. Open standards-based design allows for maximum network interoperation and integration. VoIP networks are expanding at a blistering pace, X-Lite is ready."

Pc-To-PC and pc-to-phone!! Have an account to a provider (free) like http://www.freeworlddialup.com

Another one available for mac is SJphone : http://www.sjlabs.com/ (still need a provider but it's free...)

Trick : with FreeWorldDialup, if you want to make free phone call PC-TO-PHONE all across USA and Canada, do *1 before the phone number...

Have fun!

CYBERnard,
Montreal, Quebec Canada
Virtual communities solutions consultant

absmiths
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by bkb:
Given his track record, you are probably going to have to wait until 2008 for him to reply .

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2004, 01:55 PM

I'm wondering when Apple is going to jump all over VOIP with iChat...

ohm^n
Jun 9, 2004, 01:10 AM

mitchell_pgh:is badmoon still around anywhere?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2004, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by TorbX:
And it requires very little bandwith. I've talket to people when on a modem.
I've talked to people who were on modems with iChat before, and it seems to work fine.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this one. Finally have found a cross-platform solution that works reasonably effortlessly between my brother's PC and my Mac.

Plenty of wasted space on the X-Ten GUI but it does its job and seems to be pretty stable.

Cheers.

Originally posted by CYBERnard:
Hey guys, look those software. The first one is very good. Mac, Windows version... X-lite and X-pro on http://www.xten.com

X-lite : " A FREE premium SIP softphone with many PBX-like features. Open standards-based design allows for maximum network interoperation and integration. VoIP networks are expanding at a blistering pace, X-Lite is ready."

Pc-To-PC and pc-to-phone!! Have an account to a provider (free) like http://www.freeworlddialup.com

Another one available for mac is SJphone : http://www.sjlabs.com/ (still need a provider but it's free...)

Trick : with FreeWorldDialup, if you want to make free phone call PC-TO-PHONE all across USA and Canada, do *1 before the phone number...

Have fun!

CYBERnard,
Montreal, Quebec Canada
Virtual communities solutions consultant
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Pretzel
Aug 9, 2004, 10:16 PM

Apparently Skype Beta Version 0.5.0.0 for Mac OSX has 'finally' actually been released!

Anybody know where it can be downloaded from?

- be stirred but never shaken -

sjk
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2004, 11:32 PM

AFAIK there's no official public beta of Skype for OS X yet. Check the Skype forum for more info.

abigdork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 11:12 PM

ok all you people. i have been using skype on my windows PC since Thanksgiving of last year. it works with the same p2p (peer-to-peer) technology as KaZaA. in fact, its made by the same people (not Sharman Neworks, The original guys) it is waaaaay better audio quality than iChat. yea, my dad has a mac, i have windows. i use both frequently. anyways, skype is awesome. it allows up to four people on one call. now, please e-mail me at [email protected] when a beta is released on os x. thanks!
Hee Hee. I can use a mac and windoze.

-=abigdork=-

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 10, 2004, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by abigdork:
ok all you people. i have been using skype on my windows PC since Thanksgiving of last year. it works with the same p2p (peer-to-peer) technology as KaZaA. in fact, its made by the same people (not Sharman Neworks, The original guys) it is waaaaay better audio quality than iChat. yea, my dad has a mac, i have windows. i use both frequently. anyways, skype is awesome. it allows up to four people on one call. now, please e-mail me at [email protected] when a beta is released on os x. thanks!
What will happen when iChat allows 10 per 'call'?

Somehow I don't think you shouldn't be taken seriously with that name.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Aug 11, 2004 at 12:29 AM. )

chris_h
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 02:39 AM

While we're taking requests, someone email me when my laundry is done... it usually takes 40 minutes or so ( [email protected] )

gracias seniors y bonitas.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 05:07 AM

News from the Skype forum. http://forum.skype.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4381
Word up to all of you crazy OSX users out there! Be good to those African Grey Rhinos!

As referenced few times in this thread, we have entered into closed beta at end of July. There is about a hundred testers signed up and few more will get their invites during this week.

The public beta is about 2 months away, perhaps a week earlier or later. Will be able to clarify that in 2-3 weeks.

abigdork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 09:42 AM

dude, im 16. and besides, ur name is horsepoo. so dont get onto me. and chris, ur laundry is done.

-=abigdork=-

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Somehow I don't think you shouldn't be taken seriously with that name.
Err, like you are in any position to criticise peoples user names..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 11, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Err, like you are in any position to criticise peoples user names..
Grrrr!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 11, 2004, 01:44 PM

dude, im 16. and besides, ur name is horsepoo. so dont get onto me. and chris, ur laundry is done.
But I use capitalize letters and apostrophes where necessary and I'm not so lazy as to write a four letter word with two.

chris_h
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 04:40 PM

You're like 10 hours late why didn't you email me? My clothes got stolen sometime during the night

Bloodwarmer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 05:40 PM

Skype is an application different from instant messaging applications as iChat.
It only allows people to communicate as they were phoning, and it is based on the peer to peer processus.
Nevertheless, the presentationn and use isn't different from instant messaging programs since you have a buddy list and you can phone to your contacts that you added to your list before.
The advantage of a such program is that it is free and you can phone without wasting a penny, and then the quality of sound is impressive (better than normal phonecalls).

So i think it is a pleasure to wellcome such a program for Mac OS X
MAC is the best platform of the world and only more than two mac are better than one mac

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 11, 2004, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Bloodwarmer:
It only allows people to communicate as they were phoning, and it is based on the peer to peer processus.
Nevertheless, the presentationn and use isn't different from instant messaging programs since you have a buddy list and you can phone to your contacts that you added to your list before.
The advantage of a such program is that it is free and you can phone without wasting a penny, and then the quality of sound is impressive (better than normal phonecalls).

MacBidouille showed some screenshots a few days ago...it looks pretty impressive. And I too welcome such a program if it indeed doesn't bring any spyware or malware to OS X.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by Bloodwarmer:

Comment 1: How is this different that iChat? I'll tell you. Functionality wise, Its exactly the same.

Comment 2: I'm excited for a cross-platform voice chat system. This is where iChat lacks, not in the ability to voice chat, or video chat.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2004, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Comment 1: How is this different that iChat? I'll tell you. Functionality wise, Its exactly the same.
No it's not. I used Skype last night to make calls to land lines and mobiles in three different countries all over the world and paid local call rates. You can't do that with iChat now can you?!

Any other beta testers out there?

abigdork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2004, 07:00 PM

Hey,
Just checking the board. I guess there is no new information. If any body wants to talk, my iChat SN is mygirlrocks26 and my skype (for those of you who have betas and peecees) is abigdork.

-=abigdork=-

Forum Links
Forum Rules