Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > startup disk control panel does not work any more with 10.3.5

startup disk control panel does not work any more with 10.3.5
Dr.Michael
Sep 27, 2004, 01:38 PM

Hi Folks,

one of my friends has an old g3 b/w with a partitioned hd. One partition is OS 9.1 the other OS 10.3.5.
We used to switch startup volumes with the control panel "startup disk". This always worked fine (the alt key at startup is not supported on this powermac).

Since I upgraded 10.2.8 to OS 10.3.5 for her, the startup disk control panel in OS 9 does not work any more. We can choose to boot from OS X but the system does not boot, neither OS 9 nor OS X.

Our current workaround is to put in the OS X install disk 1, zap the pram, then the powermac starts from the install disk. After this is done we choose the desired startup volume from the os x installer menu.

After restart the powermac boots os x.
Choosing OS 9 as startup volume from OS 10.3.5 works fine.

Whats going on? Is there a way to restore the functionality of the OS 9 control panel?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2004, 04:57 PM

Have you tried holding option while booting to see if that works?

The control panel on OS9 might be corrupt. You can try a repair, copying it from the CD, or reinstall the OS to fix it. You could also copy it from another mac and use your iPod to transfer it (or just a CD).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2004, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Have you tried holding option while booting to see if that works?

The control panel on OS9 might be corrupt. You can try a repair, copying it from the CD, or reinstall the OS to fix it. You could also copy it from another mac and use your iPod to transfer it (or just a CD).
He stated that the alt key does not work for some reason. And as I'm sure you know, alt is the non-standard term for option. I agree with you, it sounds like the OS 9 CP is corrupt. I would recommend reinstalling OS 9 and upgrading to 9.2.2.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dr.Michael  (op)
Sep 28, 2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
He stated that the alt key does not work for some reason. And as I'm sure you know, alt is the non-standard term for option. I agree with you, it sounds like the OS 9 CP is corrupt. I would recommend reinstalling OS 9 and upgrading to 9.2.2.
Hi,

thanks, I found that there are upgrades to OS 9.2.2 and that the control panel Startup disk has indeed changed (its explicitely mentioned in the readmes for the upgrade).

We'll try this weekend and see if it works.
I keep you informed.

The option (=alt) key never invoked the bootmanager on the Powermac. I think this is a feature of new macs and seems not to be operational on the old 350 MHz bluewhite. I think it did not work on my old iBook blueberry either.

Dr.Michael  (op)
Oct 2, 2004, 06:17 AM

Hi again,

we have updated to Mac OS. 9.2.2. Startup disk still does not work. So software corruption may not be the cause.

Whats going on?

Dr.Michael  (op)
Oct 17, 2004, 07:58 AM

Trashed the preferences. Still non-operational.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2004, 03:25 AM

On my old Lombard that I still have, I remember having a very similar problem the first time I installed OSX10.0 in a seperate partition to OS9. For some reason the machine would not find or bless the OSX partition from the OS9 panel. This problem then went away with OSX10.1, thank god. Up until then, I used to boot into OpenFirmware, and then use printenv command to find the boot section, and use the boot command with the printenv result to boot into OSX.

I never really discovered what the problem was, but I think was probably something to do with the disk formatting and the ability to bless a disk for booting. If I were you I would perhaps try formatting the OSX partition with the OS9 disk utility (just make sure it's HFS+) and then reinstall 10.3.5 on it.

It could also simply be a problem with those Macs of that first New World generation, as the first B&W's and Lombards were.
weird wabbit

randymc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2004, 04:10 PM

On my OSX3. install disk 1, when it first opens, there is a utility folder with a startup control panel for OS9.2 with a read me. Check your disc to see if it is there. George

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2004, 02:16 PM

Does holding the x key down at startup work?

Dr.Michael  (op)
Nov 13, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Does holding the x key down at startup work?
Hi folks,

thanks a lot for your input. Nothing worked, but in the meantime we found out that the hd had a problem. The heads have scratched the surface after a short period of time with clicking sounds. Really a fatal failure.
I put in a new drive, re-installed the OS (10.3.6 and 9.2.2) and now it works fine.

I don't know why. But thats life sometimes.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Nov 22, 2004 at 06:33 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules