Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can't connect to XP PC? Error 36 or 41? Here's a fix

Can't connect to XP PC? Error 36 or 41? Here's a fix
Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 04:28 PM

For some reason, i couldn't connect to a shared volume on my Xp PC over my local network from my Mac. I've had no problems in the past (using SMB, both are on the same workgroup). I kept getting either a Finder "Error -36" or "Error -41" when attempting to mount the shared volume.

After trying a bunch of things, the following solution from macosxhints worked--it was a Windows registry problem (go figure). I'm posting it for anyone else who may be having this problem.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters
4. In the right pane, double-click the IRPStackSize value.

NOTE: If the IRPStackSize value does not already exist, use the following procedure to create it:a. In the Parameters folder of the registry, right-click the right pane.
b. Point to New, and then click DWord Value.
c. Type IRPStackSize.

IMPORTANT: Type "IRPStackSize" exactly as it is displayed because the value name is case-sensitive.

5. Change the Base to decimal.
6. In the Value Data box, type a value that is larger than the value that is listed.

If you created the IRPStackSize value using the procedure described in step 4, the default value is 15. It is recommended that you increase the value by 3. Therefore, if the previous value was 11, type 14, and then click OK.
7. Close the Registry Editor.
8. Restart the computer.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules