Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Where to Get G5 Style Perforated Metal?

Where to Get G5 Style Perforated Metal?
Hairllama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2004, 01:57 PM

I'm planning a cooling mod to my Quicksilver G4. I need a small amount of perforated metal like the G5 has. Does anyone know a good source for this material?
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz, 128MB VRAM, 100GB HD, 1.5GB, SD
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB, SD
G4 500 Pismo 40GB HD 512MB RAM, Combo Drive

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 01:37 AM

The single best thing you could do with a quicksilver is nix the motherboard backplate and put something like that in it's place. Not sure on the metal though

OH I have to say though, if you're able to find the metal and have the tools to do the necessary cutting (and possibly drilling for specific mount points and that back duct) -- then let me know I'd be interested in such a backplate myself..
Aloha

Hairllama  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2004, 01:16 PM

I plan on keeping the fit and finish level on the machine as high as possible. Here's what I envision; Reverse the CPU fan and replace PCI slot covers with vented pieces. The machine will have new intakes in the front, one will be in place of the 2nd removable bay, the other will be just under the front of the tower. I'll also relocate the speaker to make room for a couple of low speed 80mm fans which will pull air from under the tower. I plan on running more fans, but at a lower speed/noise that current setup. I few hours with a screwdriver and a nibbler should take care of things. I just need the metal to make grills for my odd shaped intakes.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 11:40 PM

Aww but you're not going to change the backplate? Darn.

One thing I must say -- if you plan to vent upwards you're going to have to get around the video card, especially if you intend on using a geforce 4mx.
Aloha

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Hairllama:
I'm planning a cooling mod to my Quicksilver G4. I need a small amount of perforated metal like the G5 has. Does anyone know a good source for this material?
A quick google (sheet aluminum perforated) came up with this source of perforated aluminum. Wide variety of hole sizes and patterns. Might be a good place to start.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

oojacoboo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2004, 01:45 PM

Hey, after you fisish that mod, if you get it done by the end of this month, come by macmod and submit it for a chance to win our competition. check out our site for more details.

http://www.macmod.com

Hairllama  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2004, 01:57 PM

That looks like great stuff. Any recommendations on what hole size and open area to use? What is the hole size on the G5s . . . anybody want to take a guess?

milhouse
Senior User
Aug 15, 2004, 11:22 AM

I did my MDD - G5 mod with perforated metal. It was expensive as I had to purchase an entire sheet (~ 4'x8' or something similar).

I don't recall from where it was purchased though.

What size do you need? I may have a piece of the steel perf that would work.
"-Dodge This"

Hairllama  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 09:28 AM

I don't know how large a piece I would need. I measured the openings and came up with 7"x2", 7.5"x3", 3.5"x3.5", 7.5"x7.5". I'd appreciate any help you could provide.

milhouse
Senior User
Aug 18, 2004, 07:24 PM

Sorry I took so long to reply..

I think I have a piece you could use. It would be larger than you need but I don't want to cut it up.

Here is a link to the AYM site with my original mod. You can see the perforated steel in the top pict. I painted mine. The steel is lightly oiled from the factory but needs to be painted.

You can email me via the message link above this post if you are interested. It will be ~ $15 plus a few bucks for shipping, assuming it's not too large to ship via USPS (it was delivered by UPS IIRC).

I still have to dig it up and measure the actual size but if you are interested I will do so.

good luck either way

"-Dodge This"

Forum Links
Forum Rules