Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 128mb vid. important?

128mb vid. important?
ICD2k3
Aug 19, 2004, 04:33 PM

I just got a brand spankin new Powerbook G4 15" 1.33ghz with 512 ram and 64mb video... My question is: was the 128mb video card really worth it? I don't play computer games, but im going into video/photo editing for college and I was just wondering if my 64 mb. vid card was too wimpy.

if the 128mb video card is worth it, how (if I could) go about upgrading in the future...

Same with my RAM, I feel that I should just upgrade to a gig of ram this summer.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 06:55 PM

There's only really two reasons why someone in your position would want 128 MB of video RAM: if you were going to do some very heavy editing work in an app that depends on 3D acceleration (such as Motion), or if you were going to connect your PowerBook to a very large display (the 23" Cinema Display might push it, but I couldn't honestly tell you for certain) and use both displays at the same time. That's a fairly narrow scope, so my guess is that you're fine with the 64 MB version of the chipset.

As far as upgrading... well, you can't. I believe the graphics chipset and its memory are soldered on to the mainboard, so it's one of those choices you'd have to have made when you purchased it. Also, you would have had to purchase the 1.5 GHz model (though you could have configured it with a Combo drive to save money) to get the 128 MB video option. This isn't unique to Apple, by the way - most if not all thin-and-light laptops don't have the option of a video upgrade once they've left the factory.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 06:58 PM

128MB isn't all too much better than the 64MB, sure it'll help when you run in spanning mode, but those are the only gains.....for now. Tiger is going to be really hungry on VRAM, and although chipset is more important than amount of VRAM, in these Powerbooks more VRAM would definetly give your machine more life. As for upgrading the VRAM, your SOL (sad outta luck) it's not an upgradeable part. If video is what your getting into, I would suggest upgrading the HD (via Apple tech so as to not void your warranty) to 7200RPM or 5400RPM which will really help you out in the what you want to do. Definetly upgrade the RAM to as much as you could afford 768MB should be the minimum if your planning on using Final Cut. Hope all this answered a few of your questions.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 07:14 PM

i agree with everyone else about just getting the additional 64mb vram. for the most part, mac owners want their machines to last for a while, while pc folks have more frequent upgrade cycles. unless you absolutely cannot afford the additional $50 for the upgrade there is no point in not getting that additional 64meg. quite frankly, 128 should've been the standard.

so your going to study photo and video editing in school. you should've got the additonal vram because 10.4 will introduce some new technologies that are going to make photo and video editing work faster. they'll work with 64meg but it's just a 'why not?' question to get the additional memory.

oh well, you still got a nice machine. hope you enjoy it.
F = ma

ICD2k3  (op)
Aug 19, 2004, 07:41 PM

yea I am, thanks alot for your replys guys! I don't plan on hooking it up to any HUGE external screens or anything, but down the road after college I'll probably be getting a desktop machine anyways (and that will be maxed out). Anyways, I realized that most of the heavy video editing and stuff of that nature will be done on the school's (RIT's) awesome PowerMacs, so I should get along with the 68mb until the end of college. Also, next summer I am planning on upgrading to a gig of ram...cause u can never have too much ram

Origionally i wanted to get the 1.5ghz version with the 128 vram, but I wanted to save my parents some money, as they paid for the expense.

Also, if Tiger is going to use up alot of Vram do u think its worth upgrading?

Hairllama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 08:24 PM

Bare Feats has a comparison of the 128 vs. the 64 models. There was really no huge difference with current apps (Halo excluded). I look at the 128 as a way of future proofing your machine. You may not need the extra vram today, but you'll wish you had it 2 years from now. The largest performance improvement gain will be found in faster hard drives. I've done a bit of research and the best price vs. performance can be found in the 1.5 gHz model withh 5400 RPM HD and 128 vram. Just delete the Super Drive for extra savings if you don't need it.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz, 128MB VRAM, 100GB HD, 1.5GB, SD
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB, SD
G4 500 Pismo 40GB HD 512MB RAM, Combo Drive

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 09:35 PM

Hairllama has a point, if you wanna save some cash then get the superdrive option minus the superdrive ($180). Better buy, better computer, and futureproof.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ICD2k3  (op)
Aug 20, 2004, 12:05 AM

Bah it should last me fine for 4 years of college...once I'm out i plan on getting a powermac anyhow and using this machine as a backup. I still love it to death

TheDrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 12:46 AM

Gaming excluded, I doubt you'll ever feel like your system is gimped because you have 64mb vram versus 128mb.

Apps that draw alot with OGL and what not will use more vram than those that dont. But I doubt you'll be limited to what you can accomplish with less vram.

The case will more than likely be that you are limited by the G4 chip compared to the dual G5 systems rather than 64mb versus 128mb vram.
"Humans take the path of least resistance, especially after the second beer."
Gerard F. Rutan

Forum Links
Forum Rules