Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Questin about MacOS X virus...

Questin about MacOS X virus...
ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2005, 03:35 PM

Is there a virus called MP3Virus.gen that has effected MacOS X systems? Just talking with a windows person and they alerted me to this and told me that I was mistaken that there had never been a virus for MacOS X. They said that it was disguised as an MP3 file with a .mp3 extension. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2005, 03:38 PM

It was a proof of concept thing, not a virus per se. It couldn't self replicate, and all it basically entailed was a malicious program with an mp3 icon rather than the icon of the app.

It was harmless, and apple has since fixed finder so such things cannot happen in the future.

ryarber  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2005, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by wtmcgee:
It was a proof of concept thing, not a virus per se. It couldn't self replicate, and all it basically entailed was a malicious program with an mp3 icon rather than the icon of the app.

It was harmless, and apple has since fixed finder so such things cannot happen in the future.
Thanks.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 04:04 PM

Basically it was a application that had an mp3 icon pasted on. That makes it a trojan (an application that disguises as something else). As an additional gimmick it was also a proper mp3 file, so it could be played with iTunes, but that is rather irrelevant.

I dont remember Apple changing the Finder in response to it. I can't think of anything that could be done here. Applications just can have arbitrary icons, the system can't really tell how these icons look like. And if it does you just give it an installer icon and call it "Office Update" and people will double-click it. There is no principle protection against trojans except user care and alertness (and virus definitions after they have been discovered).

What protects the Mac against trojans rather well, is the fact that applications either need to have a resource fork or need to be in a certain folder structure. So they always need to be in compressed/archived before they can be transferred over the net.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Basically it was a application that had an mp3 icon pasted on. That makes it a trojan (an application that disguises as something else). As an additional gimmick it was also a proper mp3 file, so it could be played with iTunes, but that is rather irrelevant.

I dont remember Apple changing the Finder in response to it. I can't think of anything that could be done here.
They added a dialog box that tells you that the application "so-and-so" is launching for the first time and asks you whether this is okay.

So when you double-click a disguised trojan, you get that dialog, alerting you to the fact that something fishy's going on.

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2005, 05:15 PM

It can't replicate itself, so it's not a virus, it's a trojan.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
They added a dialog box that tells you that the application "so-and-so" is launching for the first time and asks you whether this is okay.
They added that in response to the HelpViewer/random internet protocol vulnerability. The dialog comes when you open a document for the first time. There is no dialog when you double-click applications directly the first time.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2005, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by ryarber:
Is there a virus called MP3Virus.gen that has effected MacOS X systems? Just talking with a windows person and they alerted me to this and told me that I was mistaken that there had never been a virus for MacOS X. They said that it was disguised as an MP3 file with a .mp3 extension. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Pathetic PC Pukes really are desperate to defend their miserable platform, aren't they? There has not yet been a true OS X virus. There will eventually be one - there were viruses for the classic Mac OS, and no OS is immune to malicious code. But the Mac is very secure and will remain so.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules