Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB port on AppleTV

USB port on AppleTV
ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2007, 02:39 AM

Apple's site says it is for "service and diagnostic use." I think that is BS. Couldn't they service and diagnose the thing through an ethernet or 802.11? Wouldn't the USB port on the AppleTV be a B-type or a USB mini type plug if it were meant to be used as a peripheral? I've never seen a USB cable with a A-type plug on both ends. I'm sure they exist, but it seems counterintuitive to me, unless.... They're feeding us a load of crap.

I think they have peripherals out there waiting for introduction before they release them. Just like MS releasing the HD-DVD player separately, they're gonna do the same thing by allowing us to add a HD-DVD or BlueRay player if we want without the added expense if we choose not to.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2007, 06:25 AM

Game controllers...?

Edit: replied too fast, realizing there are no graphic cards in the Apple TV.

Wonder by the way if you can use Apple TV to watch movies off your iPhone.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 11:12 AM

And I was wondering how I was going to enter my wireless network's password with just the Apple remote...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 11:14 AM

What about adding external USB HDs as additional storage space or even as network storage? The new APE base station has something like that too.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
And I was wondering how I was going to enter my wireless network's password with just the Apple remote...

Really good point. WPA passworphrases are recomended to be 30 random charecters and up

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 07:23 PM

One theory is that the USB port is for expansion (HDD). Apple is mum on that.

Since it has the thin USB connector, it is only for USB out. That means you can't hook it up to your mac via USB. Maybe it can output something else over USB? We'll find out more in a month.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules