Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > PocketMac SUCKS!

PocketMac SUCKS!
torifile
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 08:29 PM

Sorry to post a thread like this, but I thought I'd try to get the warning out. Do NOT use this product until it works. I tried PocketMac Pro today. It was a DEMO not a BETA. Anyway, I had to futz around with various settings (firewall settings for syncing? anyway....) and I finally got it to recognize my SUPPORTED PPC (HP 568). It said syncing calendars, blah blah, for a while. So I open up iCal (which had not been using because it didn't work with my PPC) to see my appointments and D'OH no appointments!!!! So I open the calendar on my PPC and they were all gone!

There were no synchronization options at all in pocketmac, so I thought it would be smart and realize that there were no calendars in iCal. But NO! Of course not. I should have known that any program that says "This product may modify your personal data. As with all such programs, please backup." Duh! That's what this program is supposed to be for, right?

I should have known not to use it when the installer made me quit all open applications (hello, I'm using OS X! Don't pull that OS 9 or windows crap on me). Or when I had to restart (again, OS X). Or when I told it to restart and it decided it would open my web browser AND email program to send out a message to pocketmac (why?). Or when I had to manually add my settings to the network system prefs. Or when I had to make changes to my firewall. Or when I had to reboot to have those settings work. But NO! I'm stubborn and I had high hopes for this program.

And on top of wiping out my calendar, it broke PocketInformant - the application that demos with it! Ha! What crap. Luckily I had a back up that was not too old. (Hey, I'm not that stupid).

Avoid this program. Save yourself the grief. And, remember, this program was supposed to be a DEMO, not a BETA (I would have been more forgiving if it were a beta). When you guys can be trusted with critical data, come back (that means when you don't need to post a warning saying backup before you use this program. That's like Apple's Backup program saying backup before you use this )

Sorry for the rant.

edit: I forgot to add that it caused my first kernel panic in Jag and my second using OS X EVER (that includes DP4 and the public beta).

edit2: Revised the thread title to be more fair to the product.

edit3: I guess the edit title doesn't work. :/
( Last edited by torifile; Jan 3, 2003 at 01:10 AM. )

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 23, 2002, 10:20 PM

Well many apps make you shut em down before you install. Flash for example.

Anywho, shame to hear that. I thought 2.0 would improve things, guess not.

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
Well many apps make you shut em down before you install. Flash for example.

Anywho, shame to hear that. I thought 2.0 would improve things, guess not.
I still think it's stupid. Not much damage on this side, but it could have been really bad.

PocketMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2002, 09:17 PM

Hi,

I would like to apologize for what was clearly not the type of experience we both would have preferred.

With your permission, I'd like very much to address your points.

1. Futzing with network settings. I'm sorry that you feel a few minor configuration steps are burdensome, but I assure you, they are necessary. The ports that PocketMac uses are actually required *by the Pocket PC* and are not part of our design. They are simply required to create compatibility with the Pocket PC itself.

2. Removal of appointments in iCal. This is the first (and only) report we've recevied of this, and we'd be more than happy to connect you with an engineer to determine what might have caused this, be it PocketMac or something else. The demo plugins do not edit **any** iCal data (strictly read-only, I assure you), though, so I doubt this has anything to do with PocketMac itself.

3. Removal of appointments from your Pocket PC. I'm sorry this was not made more clear, but the demo does a one-way transfer of all iCal appointments to your Pocket PC. I realize this doesn't show off some features of the full product, but that's always a tradeoff when choosing features to include in a demo.

It is my sincere belief that something other than PocketMac caused you to have no appoinements in iCal. And, when PocketMac went to copy your iCal appointments to your Pocket PC, the net result was that there were no appointments in your Pocket PC.

Is this "empty iCal" condition something we ought to have checked for? Yes, and again, I apologize and repeat my offer to have an engineer assist in determining the course of events here.

4. Closing other applications during the installation. I think most developers would agree that this is a debatable technique, but as we are installing multiple files to multiple locations, it is the recommended approach.

5. Restarting after installation. This is recommended **by Apple** for any software that installs drivers. I'm sorry it displeased you, but it is the official, proper way to do that. Anything else would be a hack, as I understand it.

6. Manually editing Network System Prefs. Aside from the Firewall settings (which only apply *if* you're running the firewall) there should be no need to change any Network System Preferences.

7. Incompatibility with Pocket Informant. I'm not aware of any such problems, but I would again repeat my offer of assistance if you would care to talk with an engineer.

8. Warning to back up. This is, as you've noticed, a demo. Therefore, it makes good sense for us to advise a back up, just in case. No matter how advanced any software becomes, it's always a good idea to advise a back up as a matter of courtesy. Perhaps we'll just disagree on that.

Again, I'm sorry that your experience was not more positive. And, I hope you'll agree that this is a prompt and proper response.

We are willing to help.

Best Regards,

Terence
Terence Goggin
Product Manager, PocketMac

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 25, 2002, 02:44 AM

Well despite that PocketMac I haven't heard much good about your product as much as I want to.

Shame.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2002, 03:10 AM

Do remember that if people too that attitude towards almost any product talked about here on MacNN - nobody would by an Apple machine, nobody would by Microsoft's stuff, etc....

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 25, 2002, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
Do remember that if people too that attitude towards almost any product talked about here on MacNN - nobody would by an Apple machine, nobody would by Microsoft's stuff, etc....

PocketMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2002, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Emotionally Fragile Luke:
Well despite that PocketMac I haven't heard much good about your product as much as I want to.

Shame.
What is is that you'd like to hear that you haven't?

I would think that a response of that quality on Christmas Eve would speak volumes. But, perhaps there is some specific concern you have that I could address?
Terence Goggin

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 04:53 PM

Ah, I see, PocketMac. Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I didn't have any appointments in my iCal because I hadn't been using it. I'd been using my PPC. So you guys made a decision that it would be one way transfer only, no warning - knowing full well what would happen - and no documentation of it? WOW! That's worse than I thought. That's not poor programming. That's just plain negligence.

Here's the situation that occurred for me: I had been using VPC and Outlook with my PPC. Never used iCal for my appointment. It was completely blank. Since you decided that you would make it crippled and didn't tell me, I lost all my calendar appointment on my PPC. I'm just in awe. I sincerely hope that you have made it abundantly clear on your website that that's the way the demo works. If you didn't, you are being negligent. (BTW, that's a sue-able offense. Not that I will, but someone could.)

PocketMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2002, 06:57 PM

Hi,

Again, I apologize that this wasn't clear and that this affected you in an unintended way.

No software design decision (or, I dare say, any decision in any field) will please everyone all of the time. I certainly hope that the operation of the demo is clear from our site, our message boards, and other sources, but if not, that's definitely something we need to fix.

Clearly, for you, this was not clearly explained and again I acknowledge the need to fix this.

I appreciate your honest feedback about your experience and will make sure that the demo makes this clearer.

I can not fix the past, only the present and the future, which is what I intend to do.

Thank you, again.

Best Wishes,
Terence Goggin

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2002, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by PocketMac:
What is is that you'd like to hear that you haven't?

I would think that a response of that quality on Christmas Eve would speak volumes. But, perhaps there is some specific concern you have that I could address?
I think after all this time people just want the thing to work the way it should and not have to deal with excuses as to all the problems on Christmas eve or not.

Just make it work the way it should.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

PocketMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2002, 07:55 PM

Hi,

For a different perspective, please see Dave Marsh's review:

http://home.inreach.com/saug/articles/pocketmac20.html

Thanks,
Terence Goggin

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 08:00 PM

PocketMac Pro has come a long way. The first versions were very buggy, as you would expect with an app that connects a Mac to a pc device. Recent builds, however, have gotten far more stable and easier to install and maintain. But hey, it's still a work in progress.

If you paid the fee for the Pro version and had all manner of troubles I'd say you were justified in flaming them. But for a free demo?! I think that was a bit harsh.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 25, 2002, 08:38 PM

Hi,

For a different perspective, please see Dave Marsh's review:

http://home.inreach.com/saug/articles/pocketmac20.html

Thanks,
Ya, everyone knows and loves that guy.

I would use any software based on what he said. It is like those quotes of movies you see. Remember when "the Animal" got rave reviews from someone who didn't even exist

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
PocketMac Pro has come a long way. The first versions were very buggy, as you would expect with an app that connects a Mac to a pc device. Recent builds, however, have gotten far more stable and easier to install and maintain. But hey, it's still a work in progress.

If you paid the fee for the Pro version and had all manner of troubles I'd say you were justified in flaming them. But for a free demo?! I think that was a bit harsh.
I'm not sure what in my post was considered flaming. I stated exactly what happened. Yes, the demo was free. But it wasn't a beta. And what made me mad was that there was absolutely no warning that there would be data-loss. It wasn't that there's a 'possibility' you could lose data. It was guaranteed the way that they've got the demo set up. If you have no data in iCal, you WILL NO LONGER have data in your PPC calendar. That's a problem. And, again, there was no warning that this is the way that it was going to work. Not in the documentation, not in the program itself. Not on the webpage. Nowhere. I had to find out myself.

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2002, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by torifile:
I'm not sure what in my post was considered flaming. I stated exactly what happened. Yes, the demo was free. But it wasn't a beta. And what made me mad was that there was absolutely no warning that there would be data-loss. It wasn't that there's a 'possibility' you could lose data. It was guaranteed the way that they've got the demo set up. If you have no data in iCal, you WILL NO LONGER have data in your PPC calendar. That's a problem. And, again, there was no warning that this is the way that it was going to work. Not in the documentation, not in the program itself. Not on the webpage. Nowhere. I had to find out myself.
You knew it was a demo, and yet you're bitching about it like it's the full product. Until you have experienced the full version, You have no right to make a legitimate review of this product. You had data loss on your PPC because you had to data in iCal. If you had the full version, PocketMac would have sync'd the data from your PocketPC into iCal.

I'm sorry, But I would have to go along with the PocketMac guy on this. He's offering you a chance to fix the problems you're having, but you're just being a dick. Take what the man is offering.

Don't be the guy who test-drives a car, then tells all his friends "Yeah, I had that car. It's crap. Don't buy it."

finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2002, 02:44 PM

The PocketMac guy is being more than helpful on this....you didn't even buy the software?!

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2002, 04:51 PM

Would you people please read what I wrote! There was no mention in the demo's information that this would happen. No warning at all. That's what I'm saying. I had NO WAY OF KNOWING that there was going to be data loss. It was negligence. That's what I'm complaining about. And I have a right to complain about it if I want. I'm not sure when that right went away. Last I checked, I could complain about whatever I wanted.

You all are right, though. He has been helpful and he did change the demo to say that it works the way that it does. Still though, I would have liked some warning.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 27, 2002, 05:02 PM

A Demo should act just like the release version. If it didn't how else could you judge the app?

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2002, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what in my post was considered flaming.

How about the title, "PocketMac SUCKS"?

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Quote:
I'm not sure what in my post was considered flaming.

How about the title, "PocketMac SUCKS"?
Ah. point taken. Still, that was my reaction when I thought everything had gone bye-bye on my PPC. And I still think that they screwed up by not telling me what it was going to do (it would move my iCal calendars to my PPC but not vice versa and in the process over-write anything that was not in the iCal) so that I could prepare for it.

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2002, 09:28 PM

Ah. point taken. Still, that was my reaction when I thought everything had gone bye-bye on my PPC. And I still think that they screwed up by not telling me what it was going to do (it would move my iCal calendars to my PPC but not vice versa and in the process over-write anything that was not in the iCal) so that I could prepare for it.
Understood. I heard you the first 8 times you bitched about it. Drop it, mmkay?

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2002, 09:39 PM

You all are right, though. He has been helpful and he did change the demo to say that it works the way that it does. Still though, I would have liked some warning.
I agree. He SHOULD have had some warning. I don't think he thought it through completely because usually you sync your data FROM a desktop TO a device the first time around.

But even if that's the case, he should have said something about how the demo worked.

PocketMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2002, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
Ya, everyone knows and loves that guy.

I would use any software based on what he said. It is like those quotes of movies you see. Remember when "the Animal" got rave reviews from someone who didn't even exist
Years ago, William Safire wrote something about the Beatles that was apparently not too flattering. In response to this piece, someone asked him, "Who are you to criticize the Beatles?" To which Safire replied, "Who do you have to be?"

The point I'm making is that it really doesn't matter who Mr. Marsh is or who "knows him". He's a guy we didn't pay any money to for the review he wrote up for his user group, and therefore it ought to carry the same weight as if any one of you tried the software and wrote about your experiences.

Most message boards are filled with support issues, complaints, things that weren't clear from the manual, etc. But it's not as common that people take the time to post when they're pleased with something. So, I thought I'd share one person's experience with PocketMac. That's all.

I hope that makes my intent clearer.

Thanks!
Terence Goggin

PocketMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2002, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
I agree. He SHOULD have had some warning. I don't think he thought it through completely because usually you sync your data FROM a desktop TO a device the first time around.

But even if that's the case, he should have said something about how the demo worked.

Agreed. Fixed. Sorry for the confusion. It's now documented in the installer and in documents that will accompany future versions of the demo.
Terence Goggin

mrgaskell
Senior User
Dec 29, 2002, 08:21 AM

I'm downloading the demo as I type. I have just one question: $70!? Isn't that just a little steep? How about $20 or $30? I know of a lot of people that are steering clear of your software on price alone. Just my $.02..

jg

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 29, 2002, 02:51 PM

The point I'm making is that it really doesn't matter who Mr. Marsh is or who "knows him". He's a guy we didn't pay any money to for the review he wrote up for his user group, and therefore it ought to carry the same weight as if any one of you tried the software and wrote about your experiences.
Well how about someone who is familiar with Mac software who's reviews we have read before and can compare them with.

I could get my little sister to review your software but I don't think people would hold much to it.

Why don't you send a copy to MacUser and ask them to give it a whirl.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2002, 08:13 PM

If you didn't, you are being negligent. (BTW, that's a sue-able offense. Not that I will, but someone could.)
Please please please keep on ranting about negligence and offenses and other random legal topics!! What a riot!! Maybe they violated your civil rights as well? Did the software cause you to lose your hair, spill hot coffee on yourself, or eat too many cheeseburgers too?

Freaking huge kudos to the guys from PocketMac for addressing this loon with amazing tact and restraint. (Something I am so obviosuly lacking).
Backup your Backup

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2002, 02:10 PM

I agree that the price is way too high, and it is the number one reason I haven't tried this software. I would rather do the PPC-to-Outlook-to-Clie-to-Entourage shuffle I do now than to pay another $70 for this kind of functionality.

As you can tell, I already have a great deal of money tied up in this process, so I am loathe to spend any more.

Still $30-40? Yes, definitley.

You should try that price point for a limited time and see how well it does for you.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Jan 1, 2003, 03:18 PM

Would you people please read what I wrote! There was no mention in the demo's information that this would happen. No warning at all. That's what I'm saying. I had NO WAY OF KNOWING that there was going to be data loss. It was negligence. That's what I'm complaining about. And I have a right to complain about it if I want. I'm not sure when that right went away. Last I checked, I could complain about whatever I wanted.

I tried the Demo with my HP Jornada 548. I was well aware that it was not a two-way data transfer. I too had to play with the network settings and some other sharing related stuff. After all of that, I couldn't find any of my appointments in iCal, which I use as my primary calendar app. I am still playing with it, but the Beta delivers so few options. I am not ready to write off this product yet, but I won't be dropping the $70 it costs for the full version either.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Jan 1, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by mrgaskell:
I'm downloading the demo as I type. I have just one question: $70!? Isn't that just a little steep? How about $20 or $30? I know of a lot of people that are steering clear of your software on price alone. Just my $.02..

jg
For $130 (only $60 more than PocketMac), I bought a Compaq Deskpro P2 466 on eBay. I run it only for ActiveSync (and for my wife to play free-cell). Maybe after I hear some better reviews I will give the software a whirl and eBay my PC.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
For $130 (only $60 more than PocketMac), I bought a Compaq Deskpro P2 466 on eBay. I run it only for ActiveSync (and for my wife to play free-cell). Maybe after I hear some better reviews I will give the software a whirl and eBay my PC.
And for $180, $40 more than that I purchased a PIII 550 MHz with 256 MB RAM to run Windows 98 SE to play around with.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 2, 2003, 07:47 AM

My 2�: a demo app shouldn't be able to put at risk a user's data (or setup time, etc.) under any circumstances, documented or not! It's one thing to say "the demo will sync only contacts with last names A-M, and calendar entries up to 30 days away from the install date, and simply leave the rest untouched on both sides", it's another to remove part of the product, without adjusting accordingly, in such a way that it puts data at risk. If a company is not willing to be fully considerate of potential customers (who customarily receive better treatment than incumbent customers), what kind of service would a potential customer expect from the full product? Not a great way to instill confidence in your product.

It's equivalent to, say, a car company offering a free demo version vehicle that has an accelerator, but only comes with brakes if you buy the car.

Even if the risks are documented, you can count on many people not reading instructions, or in this case saying to themselves "well gee, if I try this demo, i will lose data. therefore, i won't try the demo, nor will i buy the product."

And of course, anyone who does lose data stands about a 0% chance of buying the full product, I reckon.

tooki

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2003, 09:20 AM

PocketMac still causes kernel panics and I am running the production version of this software. Unfortunately, I paid for this product and I haven't found the support to be worthy of the price. If I had my choice I would like very much to have my money back. I stopped using the product and have no plans in the future, unless they come out with a product that really works.

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 01:17 AM

Anyway, I decided I'd buy this product to give it a fair shake. It works, but doesn't do what I need to do. It appears that pocketmac has come a long way, but still they still have some work left to do.

I wanted to post a reply to dispel some of the bad PR going on about the support. I had 2 support questions today and both were answered and resolved within an hour. That's good service. FWIW, it seems that what it does, it does well and without incident. I could even connect via wifi. It looks to be a really easy way to do some basic PIM syncing with iCal and the addressbook. Unfortunately, my needs are a little more complex than it could handle so I can't really make use of it. :/

If that's what you're looking for, there's really no reason not to get this product. I especially like the browse mode. That alone would be worth some bucks. Maybe you guys could develop a PPC browser? (I don't mean a web browser, but a file browser) You've already got it working. Make it, sell it for $10. I'd buy it. Keep up the good work. I look forward to trying it again when it can handle some of the stuff I need it to (esp. exceptions to recurrent appointments and categories for appointments).

PowerMatt
Senior User
Jan 16, 2003, 02:24 AM

I just wanted to revive this thread by saying that I just ordered PocketMac to tide me over until I decide to buy a 12" PowerBook for a portable device. Everything works great except I need to have my PPC cradled and on when my computer starts up in order for PocketMac to recognize it when i open it up. And once I have closed PocketMac or turned off my PPC, i have to re-seat the PPC in its cradle for PocketMac to recognize instead of just turning it back on. Other than these two, non-life threatening bugs, I am happy. This product should get my by until I take the AluBook plunge.

DesignByJack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 02:38 AM

What about sync with iTunes and iPhoto? Anyone try before? What about the polyphonic ring tone file? can it be downloaded from pocket pc to MAC?

PocketMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 03:26 AM

Hi,

Most of these posts refer to an earlier version, 2.0. The current version, 3.2, syncs with iPhoto and iTunes. Ringtones can be copied to the Pocket PC/Pocket PC Phone Edition device just like any other file would be.
Terence Goggin

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 12:39 PM

I think this thread needs to be locked. As PocketMac said, it's related only to version 2.0 and version 3.0 is a completely different program. It works and it works well.

PocketMac version 3 is reviewed here

Please, please please, to be fair to the guys at PM, don't post in this thread and read all the posts in that thread I just linked.

Again, this thread is now obsolete. All my complaints (minus the exceptions to recurring appointments) have been answered and well.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 11:56 PM

I think this thread needs to be locked. As PocketMac said, it's related only to version 2.0 and version 3.0 is a completely different program. It works and it works well.

PocketMac version 3 is reviewed here

Please, please please, to be fair to the guys at PM, don't post in this thread and read all the posts in that thread I just linked.

Again, this thread is now obsolete. All my complaints (minus the exceptions to recurring appointments) have been answered and well.
I'm not for a moment going to be fair to these people. They sold me a piece of crap, provided me with terrible service and then have the nerve to ask me to pay for it again. And when I reject their offer they call me and ask me why I am mad. They managed to destroy my complete address book for which I spent days repairing. They should be paying me!

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
I'm not for a moment going to be fair to these people. They sold me a piece of crap, provided me with terrible service and then have the nerve to ask me to pay for it again. And when I reject their offer they call me and ask me why I am mad. They managed to destroy my complete address book for which I spent days repairing. They should be paying me!
The upgrade was $5. That's more than reasonable for all the work that went into it. And while your experience sucks, new users should not be influenced by the negative experiences people have had with the software. I think my experience was pretty bad too and I've gotten over it (mostly because it didn't take me days to repair - I backup frequently).

But they are totally different applications. I think they need to rename it just to break the negative perceptions of it.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2003, 11:22 AM

Not only is the app different, but their support is too. Sometimes companies starting out screw up majorly. But they learn and improve. Or they die. Pocket Mac has improved.

DesignByJack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2004, 01:46 AM

I have bought the PM3. It work as good as I thought. But here are some minor errors which I need to highlight. Adress book still not synchronize very well, ie. I added the address but it wouln't update, only create a new record, it will recognise. Even I update the existing mobile number to another, it wont update well too. Calendar work perfectly. Files synchronise also not working perfectly.

Uday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2004, 07:49 PM

I bought PocketMac 3 some time ago and initally had a lot of problems with recurring dates. This seemed to have been addressed in version 3.2. I have just downloaded version 3.3 which is meant to allow one to sync notes from PPC to Entourage or stickies. After an hour waiting for the app. to finish I have forced quit. This has happened even after a restart. I think they need to do much more tesing before releasing new features.

I wouldn't say that it SUCKS but it is very fustrating. Threre are still issues with contacts and address book. The sync is far from perfect. I regularly get dupicates or the wrong contact erased.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 08:47 PM

way too harsh
( Last edited by Mrjinglesusa; Jan 5, 2004 at 08:53 PM. )

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Jan 6, 2004, 11:40 PM

I'm curious to know how well this product works with the newer MS Smartphone devices such as the Samsung i600 on Verizon's network.

Present Palm-based smartphones are pretty weak in terms of phone-PDA integration (with the exception of the Treo 600 line) and it would be great to be able to invest in one of these newer, faster MS SP devices and still have it work seemlessly with the Mac.

Granted syncing from Palm Desktop or Entourage to Palm-based smartphones works just fine, but iSync to Palm devices still remains a major PITA (ie: no Palm address categories, duplicate files, no one-way sync options, etc).

Any realworld experience here?

Speed

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
way too harsh
This thread was started over a year ago. I wish it would get locked so that people would quit dredging it up. It's not fair to the guys/gals at PocketMac.

Mods: please lock this thread or change the title to be more reflective of the content. Please.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2004, 12:56 PM

This thread was started over a year ago. I wish it would get locked so that people would quit dredging it up. It's not fair to the guys/gals at PocketMac.

Mods: please lock this thread or change the title to be more reflective of the content. Please.
lockinated

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Forum Links
Forum Rules