Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is this normal? iBook g4 slot-loading crunch

Is this normal? iBook g4 slot-loading crunch
yally04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 04:30 AM

What's the deal with these slot-loading combo drives? Maybe I'm just not used to the mechanism for iBooks, but it seems way different from my old iMac.

First, I have to push the CD in almost all the way before the motor engages to pull it in. I originally thought the drive was defective because I was afraid to push the CD in all the way, imagining that it would fall in and get stuck or something. But I did it accidentally and after a few heart-stopping moments it worked.

But, when I insert or eject a CD it makes a pretty harsh-sounding crunch sound. The drive works fine, I'm just wondering if all this is normal. It also makes this noise upon waking up from sleep and when starting up.

Am I over-reacting? Is this normal? If so, does anyone have an idea why Apple would use such a loud mechanism on a machine that is otherwise so quiet?

I love the machine (12" 800 640/60 AE combo) other than this, so I'm kind of hoping it's normal and that I just have to get used to it. But if it's freaky I'll just take it back or something.

Your thoughts? Links to other discussions?

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 04:53 AM

Yea, this is normal. It took me by surprise as well. I'm assuming that it's loud because the drive is so thin, compared to your iMac, which had space for a larger drive with a quieter mechanism. Don't worry about it and enjoy your new iBook
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

yally04  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 05:03 AM

So this is an issue for Powerbooks as well? What about PC laptops? It's such a strange and loud sound that I can't fathom why someone wouldn't design it a little better.

Oh well. If there's something really wrong there's always the warranty.

yally04  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 05:07 AM

And what about pushing the CD nearly all the way in? Just a byproduct of miniaturization?

cryon
Feb 26, 2004, 07:58 AM

I can say this, my slot loaded cd-rom on my old desktop computer never made such sounds. And it "grabbed" the disk after about an inch. And my friends powerbook don't make all that noise but you have to puch the disk in as much as on iBook.

I don't have a clue why it make the noises but because every singel Ibook G4 does the sound, and it works perfectly, it's nothing to worry about.
iBook G4 800mhz 12", 640mb ram, 60gb hdd, AirPort Extreme, Internal Bluetooth with osx 10.3.2 Panther
Palm Tungsten|T, TI-OMAP 144 MHz, 512mb SD, Internal Bluetooth with Palm OS 5.0

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 08:35 AM

My powerbook does the same thing. I don't know why the slot loading drive is so loud, but I don't really mind all that much to be honest. The machine is so quiet otherwise.

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Feb 27, 2004, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by yally04:
So this is an issue for Powerbooks as well? What about PC laptops? It's such a strange and loud sound that I can't fathom why someone wouldn't design it a little better.

Oh well. If there's something really wrong there's always the warranty.
You have to remember, none of the pc laptops have a slot loading drive, so they wouldn't suffer from the same type of noise. I think it's just the cd/dvd dropping down in place. Like above had said, I've gotten used to the sound and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules