Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" recovery disks on a 15"

12" recovery disks on a 15"
iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 08:11 AM

My cousin misplaced his recovery cd's for his 15" 1.25, and I was wondering if I could just lend him my recovery cd's so he could clean install panther on to his comp (seeing how he also forgot his password). Will this be ok?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 10:06 AM

first of all... you did know about the reset password utility that is on the OS X install CD, right?

Second, the OS X install CDs are the only ones that will definitely work. The recovery CDs tend to be machine specific.

Also, about the password thing... if his machine is set to auto-login as an administrator, you can create another administrator WITHOUT knowing the password. Bizarre, I know, but it works.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
first of all... you did know about the reset password utility that is on the OS X install CD, right?

Second, the OS X install CDs are the only ones that will definitely work. The recovery CDs tend to be machine specific.

Also, about the password thing... if his machine is set to auto-login as an administrator, you can create another administrator WITHOUT knowing the password. Bizarre, I know, but it works.
Detrius, "you" are just one of the main reasons that I like using MacNN for help. I, myself never knew about the password reset utility on the OSX install CD. Great info!
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2004, 05:37 PM

Actually, I have used the g4 15'' recovery DVD on my old pismo. I lost my jaguar CDs and needed to put it on my pismo, and sure enough it booted of the restore DVD and installed. It should work in that case.

Forum Links
Forum Rules