Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adium 0.7b1 released

Adium 0.7b1 released
ramoth4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 03:00 AM

This is a BETA release, DO NOT post this release to version tracking sites!

Now that that is out of the way, more information can be found here:

http://www.adiumx.com/beta.html

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 03:06 AM

Oooh Ducky!!! QUACK QUACK QUACK!!
Aloha

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 03:25 AM

Dang, after I spent a few hours downloading(redownloading) and installing XCode, then compiling...

-Owl

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 03:46 AM

Saweeet!

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 07:11 AM

Awesome work...

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 09:11 AM

Argh! I just sold my iBook to get a Powerbook. I won't be able to play with this release for AT LEAST a couple of months..

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 10:16 AM

"Oh damn" You guys have really outdone yourselves this time. Now I remember why I'm such an Adium fanboy...
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 12:10 PM

oh cr*p! it seems to have a new "hide all ONLINE contacts" feature, because that is exactly what's happening with me at the moment.

oh, well. back to 0.63.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 12:17 PM

can anyone please tell how to make the contact list not show the MSN handle ? ie. [email protected]
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by :haripu::
oh cr*p! it seems to have a new "hide all ONLINE contacts" feature, because that is exactly what's happening with me at the moment.

oh, well. back to 0.63.
Try deleting the ~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default/Contact List.plist file. that seems to work for people.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
Try deleting the ~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default/Contact List.plist file. that seems to work for people.
thank you so much, Earth! that worked.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
can anyone please tell how to make the contact list not show the MSN handle ? ie. [email protected]
Yeah want to know the solution to this one too - other than that, this looks AWESOME!

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 07:08 PM

Wow....this looks great. Finally a decent jabber client for OS X with groupchat support! Brilliant.

thanks,
-matt

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 08:12 PM

amazing

"I start fires!"

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 09:58 PM

I didn't see any release notes on the site; what features or fixes does 0.7 add? I'm still hugely looking forward to improved file transfer features, although what Adium has now is adequate (I can receive files, even though I don't know when they're done downloading).

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 10:01 PM

thanks for the link I was getting tired of compiling those things.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
I didn't see any release notes on the site; what features or fixes does 0.7 add? I'm still hugely looking forward to improved file transfer features, although what Adium has now is adequate (I can receive files, even though I don't know when they're done downloading).
Adam said that every point release was going to bring something to the table. .7 is a revamped contact list and meta contacts among other small things.

file transfer will come later as well as many more new and overhauled features.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 11:02 PM

thanks so much for the update!! i've been too lazy to compile so gracias!!
peace.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 15, 2004, 11:11 PM

Too bad it doesn't let me customize my contact list like .63

ohwell.wav

nforcer
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
Copy and paste job from the the Changes.txt file from the Adium source:

Version 0.70

*** Indicates that this line needs to be checked.

*** - Complete contact list rewrite, w00t.
- Added support for the Rendezvous (ZeroConf) protocol
- Added support for the Zephyr protocol with Kerberos support
- Added explicit support for the ICQ protocol, with an option to specify custom message encoding
- Added support for grouping multiple contacts into a single entry ("MetaContacts") via the Address Book
- Added support for creating and joining new group chats in AIM, Yahoo, and Jabber
- Adium can now be controlled via Applescript
- Adium now detects changes in network connectivity and automatically disconnects/reconnects as appropriate. When Adium launches, autoconnecting accounts
wait for network availability before attempting to connect.
- Added support for viewing ICQ, Yahoo, and MSN profiles
- Added support for viewing Gadu-Gadu and Sametime away messages
- Added support for protocol-specific /commands (currently only applicable in Zephyr)
- Added option to specify Sametime serverside contact list loading and saving behavior
- Added option to specify Home/End key behavior in message windows
- Added support for MSN converstion closed and conversation timed out messages
*** - Added iChat away message importing (Migration Assistant)
- Fixed issue with status-based sorting not updating properly
- Fixed issues with sending and displaying multiple spaces
- Fixed a crash when attempting to send images
- Fixed a crash related to the emoticon menus
- Fixed a crash when inserting a link to the active Safari page
- Fixed a bug when installing Adium Xtras in certain cases
- Fixed a rare crash when loading Firefox bookmarks
- Fixed AIM autoresponses to properly tell other clients that the message is an autoresponse
- Fixed issue which was preventing some AIM buddy icons from animating
- Fixed issue when saving account passwords in certain cases
- Fixed issue with the serverside Gadu-Gadu contact list not saving
- Fixed issue with sounds playing too loud the first time they were played
- Fixed problem when manually ordering contact list groups
- Fixed bug which prevented the addition to profiles and away messages of links with "%" in them
- Fixed problem causing 10.2 users to lose color and formatting information in profiles and away messags
- Fixed a crash when adding a contact with no groups defined (common in ICQ and Jabber)
- Fixed issue causing the "First Message Received" sound to be played multiple times
- Improved the Log Viewer, adding a drawer of available contacts' and accounts' logs along with other changes
- Improved the Accounts contact info pane
- Improved the Status Menu Item, which is now only available in OS X 10.3 and greater
- Improved performance when running Applescript filters, especially lengthy ones
- Improved name autocompletion in the New Message window
- Improved behavior when automatically docking the message or contact window to the edges of the screen
- Improved auto-away-after-idle functionality
- Improved recognition and auto-linkification of URLs
- Improved load time
- Removed 25-character restriction on contact list display of MSN display names, adding an option to treat the display name as a status message
- Many improvements to handling of group chats, including the ability to invite other users into chat rooms
- Various other cosmetic and bug fixes
- Updated to Libgaim 1.0.0
- Significant stability improvements
----------
I'm not sure if everything here is or will be fully implemented upon release, but it looks like a good idea of what it will include.
Genius. You know who.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2004, 05:43 AM

It's beginning to look a lot like people I'm talking to (all using msn) aren't getting my messages - but I can't be certain. Is this a common bug at all?
12" Rev B PB

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 16, 2004, 05:59 AM

Originally posted by Thorin:
It's beginning to look a lot like people I'm talking to (all using msn) aren't getting my messages - but I can't be certain. Is this a common bug at all?
Same here.

One of my friend announced that his wife was pregnant and I congratulated him. Then I said I didn't know what to say (because I was still in shock from the surprise.) Then he said "well for starters, you can congratulate me." That got one of my eyebrows raising.

This was also on MSN.

I know this is still beta software but the quality and polish on this app is still subpar compared to Proteus or iChat (and I'm not talking about the 'dropped-messages' incident.) I'll reserve the rest of my judgements until after .7 final is released.

It just seems to me like Adium is *all* about adding new (and frankly, in some cases, useless) features and *nothing* about taking the time to wrap a comprehensible GUI around existing features.

I'm impressed by the customizability...yet, unimpressed by the complexity of the interface.

I'm impressed by the supported protocols...yet, unimpressed by the bugs in all of them (libgaim bugs or Adium bugs? I don't really care.)

I was a big Fire fan back in the very early OS X days...but I went back to official clients when they started showing up...then I found Proteus and was impressed for awhile...but I went back to the official clients...then Adium X and Proteus 4 were released...again, impressed for a moment...but now I'm mostly back on official clients.

The official clients may have the ugliest GUIs and curious non-OS X behaviors but they just work...and, at the end of the day, that's all I care about. I want *all* my messages to go through and I want assurance that I'm receiving all the messages sent to me.

iChat for AIM
Proteus for MSN
and Yahoo Messenger for Yahoo

I haven't had any problems with this setup for a few months.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2004, 09:27 AM

I'll look forwards to the full release of 0.7. I've gone back to 0.63 for now, as I just couldn't send out going messages on 0.7 beta at all - ah well.
12" Rev B PB

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 11:39 AM

get ready for the usual pointless open source lecture Horsepoo!!! as is the case when you make any suggestion for adium at all.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 11:48 AM

i like it.
one reason i have used proteus over adium is the "metacontact" idea. i really do not care what service i am sending a message to a friend via, all that i care is that they receive it. so the ability to group a friends msn,yahoo, and aim accounts into one "account" and then which ever account is online (via the sort order) gets the message.

as soon as .7 comes out i will give it a good try, and see if it can replace proteus for me.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Too bad it doesn't let me customize my contact list like .63

ohwell.wav

ummmmmm.... WTF?

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 12:27 PM

Biggest .70 improvement for me is groupchat support in jabber and aim. Yay!

-matt

nforcer
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 03:25 PM

Anyone else having a problem where people will message you and it will not show the message? The dock icon changes indicating a new message, but the message view stays the same. The only way I can find out who messaged me and with what is to go to the logs and start searching.

Does not happen consistently.
Genius. You know who.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
Anyone else having a problem where people will message you and it will not show the message? The dock icon changes indicating a new message, but the message view stays the same. The only way I can find out who messaged me and with what is to go to the logs and start searching.

Does not happen consistently.
Yes happens to me to when someone is not on the buddy list.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Tick:
ummmmmm.... WTF?
personally I really liked how small I could make my contact list. When I gave .7b a test the other night I was disappointed to find I could not make the list as small and it took up more height then my screen supported.

It came down to 1 line per contact in .63 (name) vs 2+ lines (name, status) in the newer one.

in .63 I keep preferences -> advanced -> Display Prefs -> General at "Tight". So I have in effect a solid list with no gaps that I can see threw.

Not sure if that was zims problem but it was something I noticed and could not reproduce in .7b
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

nforcer
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
Yes happens to me to when someone is not on the buddy list.
Happens to me even when someone is on my buddy list.
Genius. You know who.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
I know this is still beta software but the quality and polish on this app is still subpar compared to Proteus or iChat (and I'm not talking about the 'dropped-messages' incident.) I'll reserve the rest of my judgements until after .7 final is released.

.7? Yes, But .63? While I would say iChat is more polished. I couldn't say that about Proteus and keep a straight face. Even the final versions of Proteus are buggy.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 09:17 PM

ummmmmm.... WTF?
I have tried, and cannot get it to give me the same contact list look as I have in .63

There is no "beveled" options for the contact "ovals" the look just isn't the same. It looks a bit more generic.

But hey, it's still a beta.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2004, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I have tried, and cannot get it to give me the same contact list look as I have in .63

There is no "beveled" options for the contact "ovals" the look just isn't the same. It looks a bit more generic.

But hey, it's still a beta.
I think that's known, not sure.

theJoKell
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
personally I really liked how small I could make my contact list. When I gave .7b a test the other night I was disappointed to find I could not make the list as small and it took up more height then my screen supported.

It came down to 1 line per contact in .63 (name) vs 2+ lines (name, status) in the newer one.

in .63 I keep preferences -> advanced -> Display Prefs -> General at "Tight". So I have in effect a solid list with no gaps that I can see threw.

Not sure if that was zims problem but it was something I noticed and could not reproduce in .7b
So you're saying you usually had it smaller than this:

Because it looks like you can still make it pretty damn small to me.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2004, 01:01 AM

I was able to make mine as tiny as it was before.. like this or something else?

http://brok3n.org/screenies/minimallist.jpg

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Sep 17, 2004, 01:01 AM

Well in the "known issues" department:

Messages sent using MSN are not working for some users, although Adium does feedback as if they were sent correctly.

I'm having exactly this problem.

resImadA
Sep 17, 2004, 01:06 AM

It just seems to me like Adium is *all* about adding new (and frankly, in some cases, useless) features and *nothing* about taking the time to wrap a comprehensible GUI around existing features.
The majority of changes in 0.7 are GUI changes and we have many additional GUI refinements planned for the next several releases (Including a GUI for file transfer, which I get the feeling you're indirectly referring to here).

What you consider useless others may consider very important. The majority of users felt that our contact list was lacking in previous builds, so our focus with 0.7 was improvements to that area of Adium.
Adam Iser
AdiumX.com

resImadA
Sep 17, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by sushiism:
get ready for the usual pointless open source lecture Horsepoo!!! as is the case when you make any suggestion for adium at all.
Why the hate?
Adam Iser
AdiumX.com

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Sep 17, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by resImadA:
Why the hate?
Hi Adam - I say keep up the good work! There're always people not appreciating the effort behind an app. Ignoring them makes a happier life. :-)

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 17, 2004, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by resImadA:
Why the hate?
Stay around and listen to the poo's inane rants sometime.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 01:57 AM

I was able to make mine as tiny as it was before.. like this or something else?

http://brok3n.org/screenies/minimallist.jpg
yup like that

I obviously missed something, where do I get rid of the status messages that appeared under the users name?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2004, 04:07 AM

I'm impressed by the supported protocols...yet, unimpressed by the bugs in all of them (libgaim bugs or Adium bugs? I don't really care.)
You should care as a Proteus user about libgaim bugs. The MSN issue in Adium X 0.7b1 is indeed a libgaim issue, and Evan from the Adium team went and fixed it in libgaim code, so you won't be seing the bug in next release of Proteus, (which current release is really polished for a final release you know).
( Last edited by eevyl; Sep 17, 2004 at 07:58 AM. )

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 05:10 AM

gonna wait til the bugs are al worked out .. i like my adium preferences and would be afraid to lose it =P

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2004, 06:53 AM

I'll be more than happy to sacrifice myself as a guinea pig once all my computer woes are straightened out (broken, broken, broken, moving, no monitor, moving, broken, switching computers, et cetera)

until then, I'll be using my SVN build or the most recent non-beta beta release (.63), whichever is more handy. When I have time to mess with it, though, rest assured...

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2004, 11:03 AM

yup like that

I obviously missed something, where do I get rid of the status messages that appeared under the users name?

prefs/contact list/edit or whatever/contacts tab/show detailed status checkbox

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 11:24 AM

I'm sure that this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm too lazy to look, so I'd appreciate it if someone could answer here. What's the story with file xfer in Adium? I'd like to use Adium, but without working file xfer, I'm not going to.

Is it an issue in the underlying libraries, or is Adium missing UI code to interface with the underlying libs, or is it an architectural issue, or something else?

I'm intrigued enough by Adium that I'd be willing to hack on the project a bit to help get this working, but I have no idea at all where to start.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

theJoKell
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
I'm sure that this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm too lazy to look, so I'd appreciate it if someone could answer here. What's the story with file xfer in Adium? I'd like to use Adium, but without working file xfer, I'm not going to.

Is it an issue in the underlying libraries, or is Adium missing UI code to interface with the underlying libs, or is it an architectural issue, or something else?

I'm intrigued enough by Adium that I'd be willing to hack on the project a bit to help get this working, but I have no idea at all where to start.
File transfer is working in adium, there's just no gui for it currently. It is planned for an upcoming release (soon, from what I understand), but not the next release.

You can get feedback on your transfers by running the console for now.

poocat
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 01:07 PM

The new contact list is awesome. The msn bug is annoying, but we're still voting for progress. We do understand that there will be a file transfer gui eventually.
We are willing to wait.

Just wanted to let it be known that there are people reading & using without complaint.
The new options are fun, especially for a beta beta!

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by smeger:

There are multiple issues. The underlying support is provided by libGAIM, so any bugs in the actual process are likely from there. The UI is just not implemented yet, but it logs progress to the console. If you want to download the source and have a look around, check out the development pages at adiumx.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules