Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bugs in K78

Bugs in K78
Kosmo
Senior User
Mar 18, 2001, 05:29 PM

Ok, I think we have to assume by now that K78 is at least 98% of what the shipping version will be. After all, all the frameworks and extensions in k78 read ReleaseStatus GM.

So, I created this thread to consolidate all the reported bugs in k78. Prehaps Apple will read this thread to catalog a list of bugs to go after. Who knows...

Anyway to start this off, I'll list 2 bugs that are currently driving me crazy..

1. I cannot 'Lock' my system preferences. Everytime my Pismo goes to sleep my Network connection reverts to 'Internal Modem' and PPP, even though I am using Airport and DHCP. I lock it, but it doesn't stay locked..

2. Internet Explorer. (I know, it's not Apple) Whenever I write a post to the board using my powerbook and IE, I start to type and without warning my typing starts to appear a paragraph or two above where I WAS typing...

Both are a real annoyance. Please feel free to lists your bugs here..(Oh, and the little puff of smoke that appears if you remove something off the dock stays on the screen)

John Manzione

http://www.macnet2.com

Sawtooth2000
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2001, 05:33 PM

Don't you think that the puff bug is enough to say that GM is not 4K78?

I mean, there is NO WAY Apple is going to release an OS with that error.

Even if GM is mostly 4K78, this indicates that there are a few changes that make GM definatly not totally equal to 4K78.

'tooth

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 18, 2001, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Kosmo:
1. I cannot 'Lock' my system preferences. Everytime my Pismo goes to sleep my Network connection reverts to 'Internal Modem' and PPP, even though I am using Airport and DHCP. I lock it, but it doesn't stay locked..

John Manzione
Have you tried to 'Save' your network preferences ? The 'lock' prevents other unauthorized users to change your settings, but might not save them first.
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

Kosmo  (op)
Senior User
Mar 18, 2001, 05:38 PM

Yep. I tried that. Still no go...I have to switch my network setting every time.

John Manzione

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 18, 2001, 05:39 PM

Yep. I tried that. Still no go...I have to switch my network setting every time.

John Manzione
Hopefully, it has been fixed in GM .
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

cowerd
Senior User
Mar 18, 2001, 06:07 PM

Kosmo
Have you been able to reproduce the network preferences bug on another machine. I am running a Pismo and have no problems with network preferences changing at all--even with changing network preferences many times to check different network behaviors. Will check to see if modem and Airport combo are an issue though.

IE bugs are NOT 4K78 bugs. AFAIK the browser is NOT a part of the OS in Mac world.

If this is going to be a useful thread, then the bug reports have to be reproduceable, and verifiable from other users. Otherwise this will degenerate into another whining rant about things not working, thing missing or expectations not met.

[This message has been edited by cowerd (edited 03-18-2001).]
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

MacD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2001, 06:11 PM

Both are a real annoyance. Please feel free to lists your bugs here..(Oh, and the little puff of smoke that appears if you remove something off the dock stays on the screen)
At last! A place where I can complain about bug in K78

- Classic control panel sometimes loses its settings and tries to boot Classic from wrong volume
- Icons position in folders sometimes not saved
- Same applies to Toolbar on/off setting not saved sometimes
- When opening my Gerry's ICQ folder, finder "freezes", doesn't restart until I 'kill' DesktopDB process from Terminal (disk is checked with every HD repair util I have, but even if it wasn't and there is an error in Desktop database file, this is still a stupid bug)
- 10 minutes ago I had Dock crash, had to reboot the computer
- Mail sometimes has problems fetching mail from my mac.com account, although all other Inet apps work fine
- There are some problems with copy-pasting in IE. On the other hand, this half-ready browser makes a good match for half-ready OS

OK. That's it for now

GameMusic-com
Mar 18, 2001, 06:23 PM

I have a PowerBook G4, but I don't have this network bug. You might want to try this... Rearrange the order the network is selected by Mac OS X. I have mine setup to use Airport, Ethernet, then modem in that order. This should solve your first problem.

Good luck.

gaffa
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2001, 06:30 PM

MacD:

I hope you have made these points known to Apple.
I have made sure mine have been noted.
It's unlikely that posting here is the best way to get these problems fixed.

Cheers

Gaffa.

mememe
Mar 18, 2001, 06:33 PM

Kosmo, were did you get your K78 build? I had teh EXACT same network problem with a version of K78 from caraccho, but it works perfect on the K78 from the Dev CD... just curious

dbogdan
Mar 18, 2001, 06:37 PM

I'm not sure if this can be considered a bug or not, but here goes�

In the "View Options" pane, I specify that I want to view all windows in a global list view, with a small icon. I set that up, then tell the pane to use Global View Options. Most (but not all) windows accept this, but if I log off or restart, it doesn't seem to hold the setting, instead either going to a larger icon or a small icon in icon view in *some* (but not all) windows. I have checked the finder preference to "keep the same view" when I open another folder in the same window. Also, I keep having to widen the name column of the list-viewed windows every time I open a folder. Is there some way to keep this column at the width I've specified, or am I simply SOL?

Kosmo  (op)
Senior User
Mar 18, 2001, 06:38 PM

Let's just say I didn't get it from Apple...

JM

mememe
Mar 18, 2001, 06:42 PM

that migh be your problem then, consider that the system version file is on the actual CD (or toast image), all you have to do is change it to say K78 and you have K78 when installed... now you can mount (and edit) the CD without it getting corrupted like on the PB.

look for "SystemVersion.plist" and see what date it was modified... the Dev CD is March 2nd.. the fakes are (mostly) March 1st

Kosmo  (op)
Senior User
Mar 18, 2001, 06:46 PM

March 1st, 9:46PM

Well, I wonder what else would be different... I know this version is better than the previous one I was using K73...

JM

mememe
Mar 18, 2001, 06:48 PM

probably not much... seems odd more people with the march 1st have more problems... we will know March 24th though :-)

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2001, 06:50 PM

[snip]
2. Internet Explorer. (I know, it's not Apple) Whenever I write a post to the board using my powerbook and IE, I start to type and without warning my typing starts to appear a paragraph or two above where I WAS typing...
Excuse me if I'm talking through my hat, but this happened to me with a Sony laptop and it was the settings for the the mousepad. In the Sony you can set the pad so that it is inactive while you are typing. It was moving the cursor to the mouse position when my thumb brushed the pad. I don't have a PB so I can't say for sure if it is the same.

Just a thought.
John
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

gaffa
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2001, 07:24 PM

Kosmo: Your IE problem.

Maybe when you go for the 'shift' key, you may accidently catch the 'ctrl' or 'option' key instead?

Cheers

Gaffa.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2001, 08:24 PM

Naw, the IE problem is a real bug. It happens all the time on my G4. The text boxes will sometimes get all scrambled, too.

Here's my list of bugs:
1) Non-Apple keyboard and mouse support is sub-par. My MacAlly iSweetNet mouse will often stop working, requiring me to unplug it and plug it back in. I think it's an issue with my Adesso keyboard, but it never happens under OS 9, so there's got to be some sort of software workaround.

2) The IE thing is really annoying (as is the non-functionality of copy-paste)

3) Clippings have ugly, non-clipping icons (not a bug, I guess, but I hope it gets fixed).

4) Classic (non-IP) AppleTalk doesn't seem to be implemented. Ergh!

5) You can't rename your favorites in the QuickTime player (so if you make a stream a favorite before it has loaded the title, you're stuck with "qt_mwny_3892.mov" or some other dumb name). You could do this in QuickTime 4.

6) Windows don't update as often as they need to. I have a partition set aside for downloads, and if I start downloading files in IE, they will often be done downloading, and the window still won't show them. I have to go into StuffIt Expander and manually decompress them in order for them to show up.

These are all relatively minor bugs, and they are certainly liveable (especially considering that the alternative is Windows with its 60,000 known bugs). But I do hope they get fixed ASAP.

------------------
Justify my text? I'm sorry, but it has no excuse.

[This message has been edited by Oneota (edited 03-18-2001).]
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

PowerBookDude
Mar 18, 2001, 08:36 PM

(I didn't read all the posts in this thread. If my question was already addressed, sorry)

MacOSX.org posted this:

Classic file sharing for MacOSX.
MacOSX does not allow a sharing connection between MacOSX and Classic OS 9. This means that Classic files in OSX can not be shared with other Classic/OSX boxes. To work around this, the following tip was submitted:

"For ... release you can... create a read-write disk-image in your NFS mounted home-directory, store all your classic files in the disk image, mount the disk-image under X and then it will also be visible under classic. Unlike the previous workaround this gives the advantage that your files are still actually living on the network."

This tip was posted to MacOSX-talk Email Archive. The submitter's name is not included ut thank you to that person and the person who sent it tous.
What does this mean?

1. Does it mean a OS X box can't connect to a OS 9 box with File Sharing on?

2. Does it mean a OS 9 box can't connect to a a OS X box with File Sharing on?

3. Does it mean neither a OS X or OS 9 boc can connect to a Classic item that is being shared under OS X?

------------------
Ti 500/384/20/Airport
------------------
Pismo 500/256/12/Airport
------------------
iMac DV SE 400/128/12/Airport
------------------
iBook Blueberry 300/96/3/Airport

Gametes
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2001, 08:40 PM

My mouse and keyboard speed settings never save after I put my iBook to sleep. I sure hope they've fixed that.
you are not your signature

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2001, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Gametes:
My mouse and keyboard speed settings never save after I put my iBook to sleep. I sure hope they've fixed that.
I've had more sleep crashes than I can count.

I've even had the screensaver crash on me. I have two monitors, and the icon screensaver set. I came back to my comp (sleep is off) after eating dinner. My main screen was frozen in the middle of a icon fly-by. The secondary screen was still chugging away. No ammount of key comboing or mouse clicking would unhang the beast. I ended up rebooting via the reset switch.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2001, 09:06 PM

I haven't had a sleep crash on my iBook yet. The screen savers run very slow, though, and when I tried adding more screen savers from my iDisk (very cool BTW) to my library, the new ones would crash system prefs until I removed them.

Also, the brightness slider works sporatically (albeit fast when it does), and the volume slider doesn't even show up.

craig

jblakeh1
Senior User
Mar 18, 2001, 09:57 PM

1. I cannot 'Lock' my system preferences. Everytime my Pismo goes to sleep my Network connection reverts to 'Internal Modem' and PPP, even though I am using Airport and DHCP.
Turn off ppp in the advanced tab. Or reset the priority of connections (also under the advanced tab), by dragging them in the order they should be in.

------------------
.b
http://homepage.mac.com/jblakeh1
http://www.sit3.com

Lars_
Mar 18, 2001, 10:35 PM

Sadly, it is a known bug. But there is a work around...go to expert settings and unchecked Internal Modem, click save and lock...that should prevent it from coming back up as 'Internal Modem'.

That is one of the bugs that will be fixed with one of the monthly Software Updates until...

PowerBookDude
Mar 18, 2001, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by PowerBookDude:
(I didn't read all the posts in this thread. If my question was already addressed, sorry)

MacOSX.org posted this:

What does this mean?

1. Does it mean a OS X box can't connect to a OS 9 box with File Sharing on?

2. Does it mean a OS 9 box can't connect to a a OS X box with File Sharing on?

3. Does it mean neither a OS X or OS 9 boc can connect to a Classic item that is being shared under OS X?

Can anybody answer my question please???

------------------
Ti 500/384/20/Airport
------------------
Pismo 500/256/12/Airport
------------------
iMac DV SE 400/128/12/Airport
------------------
iBook Blueberry 300/96/3/Airport

Forum Links
Forum Rules