Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Grades of PC133 RAM

Grades of PC133 RAM
GuruMeditation
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2001, 03:16 AM

I have a new DP 533 G4 on the way from the Apple Store, and I only ordered it with 256mb as Apple's RAM prices are out of step with the rest of the web so my question is:

What should I look for when buying PC133 RAM? From digging around links from Dealmac it seems that most places sell only CAS 2 RAM and grade them "Generic" or "Name Brand", is there anything else I should be on the lookout for? I've seen 512MB Dimm's listed for as low as $83 but I'm wary of RAM that cheap.

GuruMed

GuruMeditation  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2001, 09:27 AM

Bueller, Bueller...

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2001, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by GuruMeditation:
<STRONG>I have a new DP 533 G4 on the way from the Apple Store, and I only ordered it with 256mb as Apple's RAM prices are out of step with the rest of the web so my question is:

What should I look for when buying PC133 RAM? From digging around links from Dealmac it seems that most places sell only CAS 2 RAM and grade them "Generic" or "Name Brand", is there anything else I should be on the lookout for? I've seen 512MB Dimm's listed for as low as $83 but I'm wary of RAM that cheap.

GuruMed</STRONG>
Guru, if you're not getting a response it's probably because this topic has been covered so many times. My advice is to go to www.ramseeker.com and buy the cheapest 133 RAM you can find from an established vendor with conscientious service and an unconditional guarantee. I would not worry about the CAS latency rating - it's virtually meaningless in real life. As long as the 2-2-2 RAM can also operate at 3-2-2 (I'm confident that any RAM being sold now will do so), you'll be fine IMO.

GuruMeditation  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2001, 12:47 AM

Thanks for the reply zigzag, I ended up buying the $83 512Mb dimm anyway.

GuruMeditaion

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2001, 03:02 PM

where did you get ut and how is it because ramseeker has ram 512 fo 77.00 thats amazing. but I am wondering if it will work with that patch that came out a wile ago an everyones ram had disapeared. I fear that this price is too low so the ram won't work with that new update.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

GuruMeditation  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2001, 03:58 AM

G4ME, I got the memory from Coast to Coast and they stated that it is 100% compatible with the new macs and they did mention the disapearing RAM problem.

GuruMeditation

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2001, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG>where did you get ut and how is it because ramseeker has ram 512 fo 77.00 thats amazing. but I am wondering if it will work with that patch that came out a wile ago an everyones ram had disapeared. I fear that this price is too low so the ram won't work with that new update.</STRONG>
I doubt that any vendor is selling those modules after the firmware snafu, but that's one reason to insist on an unconditional guarantee.

It was actually the more expensive 2-2-2-only modules that were the problem, not the cheaper modules.

Forum Links
Forum Rules