Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Capture video from camcorder in a Powerbook?

Capture video from camcorder in a Powerbook?
designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 10:44 AM

Hi guys
I have an 1GHz Ti Powerbook with 1G Ram. I just purchased a Sony Mini DV camcorder and I'd like to create DVDs in my Powerbook with the movies taken with the camera. The problem is that I don't know how to capture the video from the camera in the computer.
The camera has USB, i.LINK and A/V outputs.
What would be the best way of doing it? Could the i.LINK be connected somehow to the Firewire port?
There is no spoon

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 10:57 AM

i.Link is the same as Firewire. You just need a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable (little firewire to big firewire). Might have come with the camera, or you can get it at just about any electronics store.
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

designbc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 11:00 AM

Thank you grovberg. I was reading that just right now. It seems that Sony came out with the i.LINK name just not to use the Firewire name from Apple.
I'm assuming that the computer will detect the connection and will let me download the video, right? I'm asking because I tried last night with USB and it didn't detect it.
And the software that comes with the camera works for PC. Do I need any specific video capture software?
There is no spoon

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 11:16 AM

USB on a video camera is only for getting things like digital snapshots off the camera. USB is never (as far as I've seen) used to get video that was recorded to tape.

You will need a program to actually capture the video. Your powerbook should have come with iMovie and iDVD. You can use iMovie to capture the video and iDVD to make DVDs out of it. There's tons of iMovie tutorials out there, so take a look around on the web. Or just play with it. It's really good and really simple.

If you don't have iMovie for some reason (and to be honest, you should probably buy it even if that's the case) then you can use something like Vidi (a google search should point you to it) to import the video and then some other program to do the editing.

A great resource for this kind of thing is www.videohelp.com though it's not mac specific.

Hope that helps.
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

designbc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 11:20 AM

Thanks again Grovberg, you've been very helpful
Yes, I have iMovie, it came with Panther. I'm gonna play with it. I think everything will work now. Now my only concern is the amount of hard drive the videos will take before burning them to DVD.
There is no spoon

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 07:03 PM

Here's some quick tutorials from Apple if you need help using iMovie

http://www.apple.com/support/imovie/tutorial/
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules