Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How do I play dvd movies on my fw superdrive?

How do I play dvd movies on my fw superdrive?
Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2005, 07:40 PM

Hi, I just bought a Pioneer dvd+-/rw 16x drive, ready mounted in a firewire external enclosure.

I have plugged it into my mac, and it reads dvds and mounts them to the desktop.

Also in toast 6, it recognises my drive and allows me to burn to dvd-r as well as copy dvd discs.

My question, as stupid as it might sound, is how the hell do I watch dvd movies on this thing? My imac only has a cdrw, and quicktime doesnt let me open a movie.

I downloaded an app called VLC and it works, but its pretty crappy.

Do I need IDVD? Is this the missing link?

Please help, this is a bummer...
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Chito
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 08:01 PM

Apple's DVD Player app only works on models with a built in DVD drive. I had the same situation with my iBook until I replaced the stock cd drive with a DVD drive I bought from another user of these forums. I don't remember having problems with VLC though. Why do you say it's crap? There are some other players but I'd have to do some looking to see what they are. You're kinda stuck without an internal drive.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Chimpmaster  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2005, 08:22 PM

Yeah your right its not crap, i was just hoping for built in OS functionality. VLC will have to do.

Thanks for the advice.
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 10:19 PM

actually, you should be able to just open the VIDEO_TS Folder (File menu or Apple-O within DVD Player) on the external drive and play that without any problems.

Chimpmaster  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
actually, you should be able to just open the VIDEO_TS Folder (File menu or Apple-O within DVD Player) on the external drive and play that without any problems.
I dont think my drive is supported by Apple dvd player, however, after adjusted audio settings on VLC, I am of the opinion that it is an excellent application and dvd's can be viewed beautifully now on my imac.

Yay!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2005, 02:48 AM

Your drive doesn't need to be supported by DVD player.

Simply opening the VIDEO_TS folder via that command works even from a NETWORK SERVER, let alone a local drive.

Just try it, man.

Meritocracy
Apr 21, 2005, 03:38 AM

You don't have the DVD player application as your system only came with a CDRW drive. Download Pacifist and use it to install Apple's DVD player app from your installation disc. Download patchburn, install the profile for your external and you're done. What's the problem here?

BTW, VLC is a fantastic app.
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

Forum Links
Forum Rules