Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help Deciding

Help Deciding
Davie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2005, 01:46 PM

Ok, so I'm looking into buying my first Mac. I've decided to go with the mini, because that is what I see the Mini as, a switching computer. My question is which model should I go with?
I want to use the Mini for Garage Band, some small movie and picture editing (nothing big), and the normal surf the internet and chatting. As for games it wouldn't be anything much, maybe some America's Army or maybe a little Starcraft. Here is what I was thinking as for my two options:
Option 1
� 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
� 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
� 80GB Ultra ATA drive
� 4x SuperDrive (DVD�RW/CD-RW)
� Internal Bluetooth
� Wired Keyboard & Mouse Set - U.S. English
� 56K v.92 Modem
� Mac OS X - U.S. English
$778.00

Option 2
� 1.42GHz PowerPC G4
� 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
� 80GB Ultra ATA drive
� 4x SuperDrive (DVD�RW/CD-RW)
� Internal Bluetooth
� Wired Keyboard & Mouse Set - U.S. English
� 56K v.92 Modem
� Mac OS X - U.S. English
$833.00

I have a monitor for it, so thats not an issue. Do either of these sound like the right choice to switch to? Thanks for you help!
~Dave

mportuesi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2005, 06:40 PM

For GarageBand, get the fastest CPU you can get. For the Mini, I'd go with option 2.

nickw311
Senior User
Apr 20, 2005, 06:50 PM

What did you plan on using the Bluetooth with if you are getting the wired keyboard and mouse? Could save some money on both configurations.... Also, just a word to the wise, I bought mine at www.powermax.com because they are out of Oregon and there are no state taxes in Oregon... It saved me about $40 or so.
27" iMac C2D

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by nickw311
What did you plan on using the Bluetooth with if you are getting the wired keyboard and mouse? Could save some money on both configurations.... Also, just a word to the wise, I bought mine at www.powermax.com because they are out of Oregon and there are no state taxes in Oregon... It saved me about $40 or so.

Id probably go with option 1, forget the wired mouse and keyboard, and buy a 3rd party, inexpensive wireless mouse and keyboard (logitech and microsoft offer excellent inexpensive options - like $40 US).

You may wish to consider bluetooth and airport as well, if you have any use for them.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 12:38 AM

If it where me I would say no to both options and go for a refurbished eMac for $799. You can find them on Apple's site. Click on the red Save pic on the left side of the page.

You get the Superdrive, keyboard, mouse, 256MB RAM with room to add another DIMM, the same GPU, faster 7200RPM 80GB hard drive, and you can add the Airport card yourself. You won't worry about having to use your old monitor and you can have more RAM later down the road and upgrade your hard drive to something larger than what is available for the mini. Remember the mini uses a laptop hard drive.

This is just my opinion of course. I think you are spending too much money on something (the mini) that really offers so little. If you have your sights set on the small form factor go for option 2. The more power the better.

Other than all that I really like the mini. It is the coolest computer I have ever seen.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 03:39 PM

The only difference between those 2 options is the CPU speed. Like someone else mentioned, if you're going to use GarageBand a lot, go with the 1.42 Ghz model.

I suggest keeping the bluetooth in there (I don't believe you can add it later, so get it now) and get the Apple wireless keyboard and a 3rd party wireless mouse. In the long run, IMHO, you'll appreciate having 2 less wires. Those 2 wire are not just any wires, but are two most potentially-annoying wires because they take up space right in front of you on your desk.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2005, 05:46 PM

I suggest more RAM than 512MB, especially since you can't add another 512MB later in a mini, you have to replace the 512 you already paid for. If you buy a mini, buy it with the minimum RAM and replace that with a 1GB module from another vendor like Crucial.

tooki

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 05:48 PM

He said he just bought this iMac a week ago at an Apple Store. I assumed he bought an iMac G5. Do Apple Store carry iMac G4's any more? Thanks for the tip, by the way. Do you own one yourself?

Forum Links
Forum Rules